is it possible to add a new texture for the terrain?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
gforce

Post by gforce » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:53 pm

someone? replacing a texture will be possible, i think, but adding one without replacing this one for all the maps?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 pm

I was wondering that myself but I haven't had the inclination the try because I've had the game crash if colors outside the texture palette were used. Interestingly the game doesn't have a problem with a full grayscale gradient on the texture map. It would be really difficult to find any unused palette colors IF there are any. Currently I think we only know of 38 palette colors.
There is a noticable pattern if anyone wants to play around with it. I used R:204, G:0, B:51 and it didn't crash the game but it used brick texture as if it were R:204, G:0, B:26. But of course the real question is how to assign a texture to a new value. That's probably hard coded in the game.

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:01 pm

that would be once again, give a reason to use the move-to-another-folder-when-wanna-play-a-map-and-otherwise-keep-others-in-a-xusermap-way-of-working...
anyway, i'm playing my self-made-map and polishing it always a little bit more or getting into 10 parrallel maps...
so yes, i could just replace one texture with one i'm not using... releasing my map will be the last stupiest job (because of too many concerns to keep in mind when everybody wants to use global-xmls etc...)
it's really a pitty, even for me (because i could have been releasing already much more maps, if i wasn't always limited by stupid things,
and so i don't get much possitive reponses on my work (because i'm the only one playing it, except my girtlfriend who hates my computer-addiction...)

This game is for me minimized to a modelling game with totally new much better settings i like to play...

Dr.Frag, thanx for the response...AND if you wanna release a game with other textures, DO SO... there are people like me who just have one map in their usermaps-folder at once (without ending up with global-xmls that look like a big mess if i was adding my settings to it), and so you will have much more possibilities (bridges, tunnels, textures, train-settings and so on... so your game will look nice for me, and afterwards i can easily continue with my settings or karsten's tunnel settings and so on... :wink: