No Tunnels, No Bridges

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
willie g

No Tunnels, No Bridges

Post by willie g » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey Gang -
Does anyone know what settings to use in the Tunnels and Bridges XML files to force a scenario never to build either a tunnel or a bridge - in other words being forced to lay track around all obstacles.
I've experimented with a few of the parameters but so far all I've managed to accomplish is to have the track disappear into a hill/mountain and appear on the other side without a tunnel , or have the land 'dug' out to lay a narrow chasm through a mountain....

I guess you could set the cost of bridges and tunnels prohibitively high, but that seems to be 'cheating' .... ha ha
-willie g

atani

Re: No Tunnels, No Bridges

Post by atani » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:53 pm

willie g wrote:Hey Gang -
I've experimented with a few of the parameters but so far all I've managed to accomplish is to have the track disappear into a hill/mountain and appear on the other side without a tunnel , or have the land 'dug' out to lay a narrow chasm through a mountain....
Unfortunately that is about the only result you can accomplish. A lot of people have tried doing this as well and resulted in the same outcome.

Mike

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Maybe we can use this as a start for a Wiki section on Tried and Done, Tried and Can't Be Done?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

gforce

Post by gforce » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Setting the prices higher isn't cheating, neither impossible,
have you already seen 50 bridges of 200 km lenght (in europe), yes there's 1 tunnel between france and england, it took not 10.000$.
SO WHY WOULDN'T YOU CHANGE THE PRICE???
:lol:

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:13 am

Hi willie g, since time immemorial people have been complaining that there were no tunnels in RRT (and that the bridges were unrealistic). SMR has brought tremendous progress here IMHO.

But as gforce says, no engineer in real life would build a tunnel where they could go around an obstacle easily. Why? Cost, yes. So from that perspective, it is the game which is cheating, by giving the AI the opportunity to build through mountains and over lakes and oceans almost as if they did not exist, just smoke and mirrors for the human player, who also soon understands that those fearsome mountains are nothing but illusions in a flat world.... :wink:

gforce

Post by gforce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:30 am

There's a way to make shorter bridges less axpensive and longer bridges more expensive...
I've been playing with this, and using it in my development,
and it works fine...
The key to do so is: piece 3 in the bridges, set this one a high value, set the amount of pieces 1 2 4 5 not too expensive and choose how many of them will be used...
In this way piece 3 will only be used when you run out of the others! I see this as very logic! if they build a bridge they will reduce surely the span (there's also a span-parameter, but this one doesn' t seem to react).

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:44 am

Yes, that works nicely, but you still have to give the user 99999 pieces overall, otherwise, once your maximum number of pieces is used up, the expensive bridge disappears and the rails hang in thin air, costing nothing extra at all! :lol: