A pile of requests and questions!

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:00 pm

RedKnight - I did some messing with the Speed0, but not to where I was looking for anything. I was only checking to see if it had anything to do with the track speed.

WarII and Dr Frag - I did some searching in files that I thought might handle track speed, but found nothing.

dwax - I kinda thought it was neat to. What I don't understand is the order in which they show up. There is an order cause they show up in the same order each time, but the order they show up in makes no sense. The file I used has them originally by date. I just gave them all an 1850 date. That also answers your other question. Take tha RRT_Trains_xxxxxxx.xml file and stick it into almost any map except The Empire State and it should work. That map has the trains listed in the RRT_Names file. If you use a map with the engines names in that file, delete the whole <RRTTrains> section and it should work. Here's how to do it:

Open the map file you wish to use. Open the RRT_Trains_xxxxxx.xml file and note the year on the first engine. Move that file to a holding folder in case you wish to restore it. (call the folder what you wish) Copy the RRT_Trains_Hill_Valley_Mess.xml file into the map folder. Rename the folder so it's the same as the one you moved. Left click on it. Click on 'Edit' and select 'Replace'. On the first line enter to name of the year in the file, which is 1850. On the second line enter the year you noted from the original file. Now I would click on replace for each one as I don't know if the year you enter is used elsewhere. If there was no RRT_Trains file, create one in the RRT_Scenario file. <TrainsXMLFile>RRT_Trains_(scenario name).xml</TrainsXMLFile> will do it.

That should do it. As I've said before about the map I remade, don't leave it in your _Scenarios_ folder as all the maps will give you $500,000,000 to play with. I've tried to put a Difficulty xml file into it, but it won't accept it. If you want to play it with the normal money starts, just remove the Difficulty file. If anyone can figure out how to leave it in this map without it showing in the other maps, please tell me.

As to the ICE train, I haven't used the skins, so I don't know. OzoB will have to look at that. All I did was change the year.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:19 pm

snoopy55

I love this map! :) Thanks! Wish you would make another one like this. :lol:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:29 pm

RedKnight - here in the attached Zip you will find what you have been looking for. This will give you an Analyser Level for any Map you wish to play. I wanted to name it Playboy, but some people might take that wrong :twisted: It brings the money up to $500,000,000 :D . I can write it to adjust a few other things such as starting Stock, Routing Difficulty and cost Modifiers. Just ask and ye shall recieve. The setup instructions are included. If you or anyone else has trouble understanding them, let me know what it is you have problems with and I'll rewrite it.

dwax - this gives you what you want also. You can copy any folder, giving it a different name and put this in. That will let you keep the original Map and add one that gives you access to all you want.
Attachments
Adjustments.zip
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Worked just like you said snoopy55! :) Thank you!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:13 pm

You're welcome. I'll send you my bill :twisted:

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 am

War, good point about the track speed limit - I totally forgot about that too. :P None of the XMLs seem to address it. Oh well.

Snoopy - thanks so much for all your help. Am I going blind or did you forget to attach that file? Also - what do you mean by Analyzer. Just a name, or do you mean Debug is on, or?

BTW does anyone know how to turn on Debug? There are several Debug commands that might be interesting, but I don't know how to turn on Debug mode.

As for things I might want... actually at this point, all I'd like, is to know how to change the size of resources (small to large) or cities (village to metro). Is it possible, with the XMLs? (Can industry in cities have their size changed??)

FWIW while all resources except fish show on the list of resources (over the mini-map), not all of them actually appear on the map (gold, ore, cornmeal, swine). Does the game dis-allow it somehow? E.g. grain or cornmeal, but not both? It's no big deal, though.

I have put a check in the mail to you, Snoop. It's on one of the mail trains in my scenario.

Hang in there, it's 1860, only 147 years to go!

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:15 am

p.s. Snoopy or anyone else - currently I am working on the Resources and Industry page of the wiki, if it gives you any ideas you're interested in.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:22 am

No, the file is attached, it was also put on one of those mail trains :roll:

Sorry bout that, grand-daughter who lives with us in the hospital, grand-son who might be coming to live with us because mommy can't handle it, life in general and trying to figure out a few problems as to why maps won't work right. They worked last week. I think. Gotta quit thinking, it disturbs my thinking.... I think. :shock:

P.S. It's called Analyzer for you and others who wish to analyze this game. It will show up between Table Top and Investor if the file is loaded correct. :twisted:

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:33 am

Ah, now it all makes sense - and I've got the download.

Sorry to hear about your problems there. I've been blessed to only have moderate problems, but you never know. Then again, problems can be godsends in disguise.

If you get a chance, you might check a look at those other questions I asked. But not a single one is critical. I've got tons to work on.

I hope to get to a description of, well, the best way to make money in the game, all things considered. By understanding all aspects of it. If I stick with it long enough. :P This is all volunteer work, by any of us. One never knows when another bright, shiny object might come along, laugh.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 am

Red Knight - If you want to continue working with the Hill Valley Mess, but don't want to have to move it around in order to play with oother Maps, remove the RRT_Difficulty.xml from the folder. The Analyzer will give you the money in Invester level. If you want another level with the money, ask and I'll instruct you.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:37 am

Oh ya, do you mean you want to know how YOU can change the sizes?

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:11 am

Yes sir, I'm still using your original. (I asked that before you, cough, posted it.) In fact your original is perfectly fine with me and I don't want to break a good thing, laugh.

I am not following all your questions. All I am doing now is playing with your original HVM. I do not want to mess with difficulty levels, because I want my answers to be relevant to difficulty levels. (Attaching an Excel rendition of the Difficulty XML.)

It looks like other folks appreciate that you can do this already. Some may call it cheesy but what the heck, it's just a game. It's Railroads! even, not some FPS ... You've basically made a Train Table mode that still tracks money.

Anyway. Testing is entirely different from gameplay, and I really appreciate your support.

I'm good for now, really. Yes, can *I* change the sizes? You're welcome to refer me to another thread.

And, can they only be changed in a scenario, or can they be changed in a savegame file, too? The latter would be real cool. And my next question past that would be, how to see the value of savegame variables, laugh. Anybody know the savegame structure?
Attachments
RR_DiffLevels.xls
Railroads! Difficulty Level variables
(15 KiB) Downloaded 322 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:17 am

RedKnight - those nasty fScales for Industries.... attached (and this time they are) you will find a Zip with 3 pics of Oil Wells with fScale at 3, 0.2, and 0.8. As you will see, it depicts the size of the green ring. Go rewrite your Wiki.
Attachments
fScale.zip
(293.42 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:34 am

Yes, it seems pretty clear that the ring is affected. And also the range of the graphic size. But did you test if it also affected output over time?

Since I doubt that one variable would affect both things, I'll take your word. I don't mean to be picky. I mean to make sure I speak the truth :P

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:34 am

Good work man. 8)