Need help with a map

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Need help with a map

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm working on this El Mexicano map and I've got the base work done. I edited the map a bit and tried to load it to check it over. Crashes before coming up. Then I remembered that the game needs at least 4 ciyies, so, with the Editer, I added 3 more. Then I went into the RRT_Cities and RRT_Names and changed 'DEFAULTCITY' to 'CENTRAL CITY', making sure to get the tags correct based on the other 3.

It is still crashing. The only other thing I did was to indent it with XML Notepad 2007. I checked it over with XML Marker, and found no problems.

I had this same problem when I edited an original map and I had to go thru and transfer each XML one at a time to a new renamed folder before it would work.

I'm going bald quick..... :?

PS the SMR_Scenario file is in the map folder.
Attachments
El Mexicano.zip
(471.28 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

atani

Re: Need help with a map

Post by atani » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm

snoopy55 wrote: It is still crashing. The only other thing I did was to indent it with XML Notepad 2007. I checked it over with XML Marker, and found no problems.
Its not the formatting of the XML files...

Here is what I did to get it working:
1) renamed to ElMexicano (remove space in name, updated XMLs)
2) Stripped Goods to just: Passenger, Mail, Gold
3) Added MinPrice/MaxPrice to Goods
4) Stripped Industries to just "Gold"
5) Stripped TrainCars all "custom" Cars (I noticed Produce Car, whats that?)
6) Stripped Trains of all *_ES_* tags as they are not valid in my install (are these new?)
7) RRT_TrainCars_XXX.xml should not list TenderCars, if this is present the RRT_TrainCars.xml (GLOBAL) will be ignored for the TenderCars entries.

After doing that, it loaded fine :)

Mike
Last edited by atani on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Wow, that´s thorough, Atani! I also had a look, and all I can add is that the events file may give you trouble later. Scenariowise, those mountains look pretty steep to me.
Cheers! :P

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm

Can you fix it and re upload it :P :D

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Man, this HURTS :shock:

First off atani, thank you a whole h**l of a lot :D No to your questions -

First of all, as to how some of that stuff got in there, I couldn't remember putting it there, so I checked my 'before I touch it' backup. The Editer put it in there.
atani wrote:1) renamed to ElMexicano (remove space in name, updated XMLs)
I don't understand how that would affect it, I have a map I'm working on called 'Side to Side' and the spaces had no problem. Wyoming Valley PA uses PA Coal. But I'll start doing them either that way or with an underline.

atani wrote:2) Stripped Goods to just: Passenger, Mail, Gold
I usually get the map going (working) then remove what I don't need.

atani wrote:3) Added MinPrice/MaxPrice to Goods
I've seen that done, but I'd only use it for special prices.
atani wrote:4) Stripped Industries to just "Gold"
Got the reason for that.
atani wrote:5) Stripped TrainCars all "custom" Cars (I noticed Produce Car, whats that?)
Boy, Slappy would slap you!

From Original RRT_TrainCars.xml

<TrainCar>
<szName>Produce Car</szName>
<szGood>Grapes</szGood>
<szModel>Vineyard_Car.kfm</szModel>
<szDummyModel>Vineyard_Car_dummies.nif</szDummyModel>
<szIcon>icon_car_cattle.dds</szIcon>
<szGroundClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_GROUND</szGroundClackSound>
<szBridgeClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_BRIDGE</szBridgeClackSound>
<RunLength>30</RunLength>
</TrainCar>
atani wrote:6) Stripped Trains of all *_ES_* tags as they are not valid in my install (are these new?)
They sit in my RRT_Trains GLOBAL XML because one of the mappers used the 'ES' as part of the engine names he used. I'll have to find that for you. Now that I think of it, have you checked your RRT_Trains GLOBAL?
atani wrote:7) RRT_TrainCars_XXX.xml should not list TenderCars, if this is present the RRT_TrainCars.xml (GLOBAL) will be ignored for the TenderCars entries.
Understood, but I do have Side to Side running with them. I'll have to see if and how the Editer puts them in .

Thanks, Now after I get the super glue off my fingers from putting my hair back, I'll redo that.

karsten - The mountains are steep like that from the MICRODEM creation. I plan on working on that, but needed to get the map working first.

dwax - I'll get it working, but may find someone else to do the rest. I was only trying to learn how to use the MICRODEM.

Did anyone notice the lake :roll: ???? Above sea level :roll: ???
Last edited by snoopy55 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

atani

Post by atani » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 pm

snoopy55 wrote: I don't understand how that would affect it, I have a map I'm working on called 'Side to Side' and the spaces had no problem. Wyoming Valley PA uses PA Coal. But I'll start doing them either that way or with an underline.
Yeah some maps do this, its mostly a preference thing at this point, if a program cant handle the spaces in the names then it is a bug :)
snoopy55 wrote: 5) Stripped TrainCars all "custom" Cars (I noticed Produce Car, whats that?)

Boy, Slappy would slap you!

From Original RRT_TrainCars.xml
Hm, yeah I just haven't seen it before so did not know what it was..
snoopy55 wrote: They sit in my RRT_Trains GLOBAL XML because one of the mappers used the 'ES' as part of the engine names he used. I'll have to find that for you. Now that I think of it, have you checked your RRT_Trains GLOBAL?
Yup, thats where I verified the trains from... I just know that they are not part of the standard install or any of the various maps that I have installed from the installers or from this forum.
snoopy55 wrote: Understood, but I do have Side to Side running with them. I'll have to see if and how the Editer puts them in .
The editor is adding these from the NewMapBase files most likely..
snoopy55 wrote: Did anyone notice the lake :roll: ???? Above sea level :roll: ???
Yeah, right next to Center City... How did you manage to do that :)

Mike

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:08 am

Sure :idea: I immediately made a screenie :P
Attachments
The emerald lake
The emerald lake
El Mexicano.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 10902 times

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:12 am

I used the ES tags on the Empire State map that I'd been working on a few months back; that's where those are from.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:49 am

Ah Ha, the culpert comes forth! Can we rewrite that map ifin we think it might be gooder?

As to the lake... that was something that bothered me. Mexico has a few lakes in the mountain regions, so how to do it. I tried painting the ground blue. No go. I tried white first, then blue. Nope.

Go into where you want the lake and put a slight depression and use the leveler tool to flatten it. Then go into 'Edit Terrainmap' and select Ice or Snow. As I was experimenting, I used Snow. Ice would probally be better. Use a solid edge brush. Put you white(Ice or Snow) where you want it. Then go into the 'Edit Tint Map' and select 'Choose Draw Color'. By trial and error you find the blue you want and paint the white area. You could work from a light blue at the shores to a darker blue in the middle.

Of course that lake comes out of there.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:22 am

Kewl
Even though that's fake it looks pretty damn good.

Dang, those mountains are pretty steep. Should prolly go with that last set of Brightness/Contrast numbers I left for ya. :P

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:32 am

If someone can come up with color numbers so that the color over the white is close to the color of the ocean, it'd look better. What I'm meaning is, if the numbers were 92,229,202, what would have to be added or subtracted from those numbers to get the same color on white.

That was just a quick experiment, and it was sloppy. A person could do a long wavey indentation, flattens the bottom and ice it then color it and you'd have your river above sea level. You'd miss the reflections, but hey, it'd look better than canyons all over.

Work on it Doc. Or someone.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Well, you could also use the Beach Sand texture, or frankly whatever texture might be suitable for your environment, but then you'd have to work out which blend color would give you the best water results. The Blend coloring is somewhat translucent so it will show some of the texture underneath.

Also the 'real' water color is changeable in your map, you can set the color of the shallow as well as the deep water.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Dr Frag wrote:Also the 'real' water color is changeable in your map, you can set the color of the shallow as well as the deep water.
So you reverse it, find a good lake combe/colr, and set the shallow sea colors to look like it. (those numbers I mentioned were taken from a map that didn't use 0,0,0)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 am

Here it is.....

(this post was done for the thread to be found....)
Last edited by snoopy55 on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.