Middle East Final Beta Released

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 am

Maybe a tad controversial with what's going on I apologise in advance and don't want to offend anyone but this is a game.

As middle east what about a Military Base or shipping arms to a metropolis.

Or arms to ???? naval base to help the Sheik ***** and his military.

Also what about oil fields shipping large amounts to a port city etc.

Mention of the Suez Canal etc.

As the current victory You're the last railroad standing! really needs a scenario

Please delete post snoopy55 if offensive :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Slappy Da Clown

hmmmm

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 am

Well

Cotton comes from Egypt which would make textiles. Carpets come from the Stans. Fish is exported from all port cities. Arms & Military bases are a fact. Certainly autos are made or imported. Stockyards would be processing goats & sheep. I think there is some diamond tradeing there also
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:04 pm

Forgot to add - the map needs to flattened out as there no hills in a dessert as much as this map. A lot of the towns are in gulleys and should be on a flat ground.

Run the roller over the map to get flat as a pancake. A few hills is fine but currently overdone in this map.

Also way to many towns and city's - perhaps cut it down to 10 or so as this map will crawl at 45% or so with track laying issues in SMR.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:29 pm

No offense taken at all.

First, I'm not any good at Victory stuff. This map was originally done by D53642. He had some problems with it (I hope I don't offend him here) when he took an industry that was forest based to make his Metal Works Factory and Iron Mine. That's why they never showed up to be built in any city. (No, not smarts from me, I stumbled over that one) His Iron group will be usable as soon as it's figured out how to repair it. It's all in the GLOBALS, so I'll leave that to Atani (I'll get that to you)

Anyway, If either of you want to write a Victory set, please do, we were given permission to work this map over. And by all means, do more than one. A single map CAN have more than 1 Scenario XML in it.

While I agree on the landscape, I'm not to swift on that either. Maybe we can get one of our landscape artists to have a go at it. Every time I play with that roller I have to jack up my landscape again.

As to number of cities, this is a size 15 map. I think the ones who expanded our mapping capabilities should give us some numbers as to cities and industries.

I like the Import. 1 or 2 Coastal Distribution points with import and export of certain Goods

Slappy, I like your ideas for Goods, but we're talking Icons and industries we don't have. Still, to work them up for a later version of this map and future maps would be interesting. Rename a Corn Field to Cotton should do it. That into a Textile Plant. If we could get some white on the crop it would look better, but as is it could be done. But, it would need Cotton bales like the Wool, and a cover on the farms storage bin or take it out. Needs to be looked into.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:23 pm

Atani - Below is a debugged version of this map. The problem is going to be that, as you can see in the previous post, the changes are IN the Industry, not the Industry itself. I'm not sure if it would be easier to change the names in this copy or instruct people to remove the previous ones. Along with those two there, the Chickpea Farm was missing the reference to the Fields. Will the uninstall do it?

If you want, you can delete this after you download it as I think it could cause confusion to anyone not totally familiar with these files.
Attachments
MID EAST WORKING.zip
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 387 times

d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Hey Snoop,

No offence taken, when I was force to stop working on my maps cause the game and vista 64 is not working together for me. The iron works building did work, everything actually worked for me in the line of buildings, what didn't work for me on this map is it had too many memory leaks and crashing alot.

I know nothing of the middle east for what it looks like and this map came off a satelite photo of the area. As for the industries I believe I asked people for their input and like one person wrote me for a list of industries in the area there.

This map was made with Beta 1 of the World Builder, I started working on this map around Mid November and as the World Builder was redone by Dan and his team over the next month the map kept getting more buggy compared to new maps I made with the world builder like Alaska. Middle was my baby map as I spent more time on it learning how to make and code the xmls to work with it and alter some of the fpk files and convert them into a new industry.

I am also happy you are taking my maps over snoop and continue you because I cannot. You, Warll, Ceebee, Atani and a few others have been here from the start and know alot about railroads! and my mas in general. Keep up the good work and maybe someday I will be able to try out your improved versions of my maps.

Daryl
"d53642"

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:16 am

I sure hope that "someday" is soon :) You're pioneering in the map building for SMR inspired me greatly and I'd like nothing better than for you to get SMR working properly and have you back making maps. Maybe it will take some magic or a higher being but we can hope, can't we? :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 am

Well Slappy, you got your wish...almost. I have done a Cotton Farm and all the goodies. The problem is it was made from a Grain Farm and still has the Grain in the big bin. Also, the crop is tan instead of white. I cannot find where that is from, and since the fields are controled by a 0 or a 1, I'm not sure they can be changed. I'm sure someone could doctor the Grain bin.

For those who want to try it, the folders go into CustomAssets and the TXT has the needed files for the GLOBALS. The FPK file for some reason doesn't work, but it's there for someone who may be able to figure it out. Leave it alone if you can't.

Finally, no more wool clothing........
Attachments
Cotton Files.zip
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 287 times

d53642

Post by d53642 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 am

For the gold to ore Snoop, I changed it in the industry skin. Anywhere I seen stuff that looked like coal I altered it a red brown and it changed the coal piles to a red-brown color in game. The only thing I couldn't find was where the coal in the annex hopper was so I could never change that or when the piles are made it looked like black falling coal still.

Daryl

Slappy Da Clown

cotton

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:15 am

OK Snoop

IM tryin them now ( ignoreing the fpk for now ). Cotton travels in bales that look just like the textiles in the regular stuuf. Could you not use them ? Just a thought. I will need to know just exactly where to insert the text you have kindly provided, please. I think you are talking about the files contained in Custom Assets/XML. If this is wrong I`ll be buzy crashing so let me know

EDIT
Copied the text to the files Snoop. Didnt put the fpk in because you said it wasnt working. No maps will play with the changes CTD when they try to load. Undoing until you see this. BTW I copied the text you provided to the following files.
RRT_Goods
RRT_TrainCars
RRT_Industries
RRT_Depots

in Custom Assets/XML

Let me know if that was incorrect
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
3GB Memory

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:17 pm

You may have made the same error I did, putting the Industry one line to far down. Bugged me for an hour....why does it work if I put the Cotton Farm in the map, but it won't work in the GLOBALS......Do we have the limit of Industries?....... Taught me a lesson, just hope I remember it.... Say what?

Below is the Wisconsin map with Cotton. Delete the Wisconsin map you have, you can restore it if you can't get this to work. In the RTF file I have done in red the lines you should see when you place the code in the GLOBALS. Don't copy the red lines. Watch the Industries and the Train Cars.

The Cotton and Cotton 1 folders go into CustomAssets just like you said. That FPK I included because I'm hoping someone can tell me why it wont work. It was packed with FpkPacker, just like I did the MID_EAST folders, and they worked.

Daryl - While I'd very much like to, I don't think I'll be atempting to make changes in map parts other than adding cars and code changes. This Cotton Farm was an experiment that worked, and I had to search my computer for the indtructions I wrote myself on how to do the icons. Took me a while to figure out what I had said :shock: I know it sounds odd, but that's how my life is. I hate you people who can whip this stuff out. What I did left my head hurting. I was excited because I had got it to work. 45 minutes of reading Harry Potter calmed me down. I'm glad to see you still stop by now and then. Keep it up, maybe we can hook you again........
Attachments
Wisconsin2.zip
(454.74 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Cotton Files.zip
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 276 times

Slappy Da Clown

oh sweet confusion

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Im sorry Snoopy but you ve completely confused me now. I dont remember where I placed the industriy when I tried it before. I thought I put it in at the bottom.

As to the Wisconsin map I dont seen any red lettering in the text doc. Plus you do remember the Wisconsin map didnt work right yet eh ?

Was I inserting the stuff into the right file ? Should I have put it into the map files instead ?

Im feelin pretty lost rght now.
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
3GB Memory

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:22 pm

Slappy - my DEEPEST APOLIGIES!! I had the RTF without the changes, wrote the changes and forgot to save it...

Have you installed the Wisconsin map since Atani repaired the Installer? It requires SuperBowlExpress to be loaded. I chose this one because it was mine and it was handy. Your last post on it stated that you had purple boxes. That was what Atani repaired. It was probally the Cowhides.

The attached RTF has the red that I was talking about. Check what you did.

Oh ya, be sure you remove the Wisconsin1 folder. If you don't the Wisconsin2 may get confused. If you can't get it this time, I'll include it in the MID EAST map and have Atani do an Installer. I may need to figure out how to do one myself.
Attachments
Cotton.rtf
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Slappy Da Clown

ok

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:23 pm

OK sorry to be so dense Snoop.

I think Im ok on inserting the code ( assuming the files I named above are the correct place ).

Should I install Wisconsin1 & then overwrite the files with Wisconsin2 ? Or should I uninstal Wisconsin1 & just put the Wisconsin2 folder into the scenario file ?
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
3GB Memory

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:31 pm

No, you're not dense, just learning.

It would be better to either delete Wisconsin1 or move it outside of SMR. If you delete it, you can undelete it if you want to.

You have the correct XML files.

This Wisconsin2 is just to show you how your idea worked out.