Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13 -18

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Lowell

Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13 -18

Post by Lowell » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello everyone.
Right now I am working on rebuilding the Florida Gold and Georgia Peaches maps. Well...I needed a break from PhotoShop and started messing around with the old Basin and Range files. I always loved that map and still do. The map would crash and never save the players progress. Well I rebuilt all the files and wha-la'...it now runs Super smooth...saves correctly both auto saves and regular. I tried to make it crash let me tell you. I also see how to use the Decor cars and still have the game save the items without any crashes.

So here is the deal. I need more people to test these files. I also hope Big Papa and Choobacca don't mind my helping fix this fantastic map into a simple drag-and-drop map install. I use what is called a cic = Clean Install Compatible type file structure. I have found that the tunnel file needed fixing, as the tunnel entrances would vanish after making a duel or triple tunnel...so I couldn't stand it anymore and wrote a new file and fixed it.

Click on image for full view

Remember...cic files do not load all the games default industries, goods, trains or cars. I only place those items needed to run the map...hence I shut-off most of the games' items so I can get more on the map and use less resources. So remove my cic mod files before playing any other map...even the games default ones. One map should be placed in UserMaps at a time...that's it.

Clean out your Custom Assets and User Maps folders. Place the unzipped file folder with the maps name inside User Maps...start the game, scroll back one map...enter scenario...have a great time.
Saved Maps...
From the desktop reload the game and go into the scenario like you are going to start a new one. Then after getting in-game, load your saved game. This allows the game to reload all files needed. Also turn off Precache = 0 inside your Settings.ini file. If it is turned on there, it will read as Precache = 1...turn the 1 into a 0 and save the text file. This will allow custom mod maps to have their files read "each" time a map is entered, rather than once half-loading the lists in memory and then you get a crash when trying to re-enter mod maps.
All saves work properly for this size 18 map. I always leave auto save turned on and save three auto saves and regular saves as well. They all worked fine after many tests. The map runs solid at 60fps.
Update Note On Saved Games::: the player is no longer required to enter the map first to access a saved game. The save feature for this map has been fixed. You can load saved games from your save links in your saved game folder or any Auto save link...or simply load a saved map from the load screen. They all should work fine now.

Two sizes...

Fixed Tunnels Image

:::Links:::
Regular size 13 Basin And Range map Original Scenario...old landscape map being fixed

Link updated files on July 28 2012
Resized, Re-painted plus adjusted Basin And Range size 18...Runs Solid
http://CrimsonSun.cc/basinandrangelm18cic.rar

Edited for Newer files July, 28, 2012
Last edited by Lowell on Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 am, edited 8 times in total.

Lowell

Re: Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13-16

Post by Lowell » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 pm

I should also mention that the Industries and a couple other files still need a couple items pulled out of the lists. The lists I used to get started were copied from the regular BasinAndRange map files from way back. I know for a fact I am not done fine-tuning the size 16 map. I also have a size 18 land map which is the same as the size 16 in layout and style. It takes a lot of memory to run that one…but it was the first that was totally complete on all lists. However…not everyone has the latest EVGA motherboards, 8 cores and 24gigs of 2000 speed ram running Win7 64 bit and the latest EVGA graphics cards. However the file is available for those who wish to give it a try.

Click image for full view
Last edited by Lowell on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lowell

Re: Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13-16

Post by Lowell » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:27 am

Update...Just found the Industries and a couple other errors in the size 16 map. I have made the changes and am testing...should have the link updated in a few...sorry for that.

EDIT::
I just re-uploaded the size 16 file with corrections. Some of the industry processes were not set all the way.

I still am working on slimming down these files and getting rid of the decor car stuff. The map seems to play a tad unstable. My size 20 Florida Gold map runs faster has more industries and needs more than 55 trains running near the end and it screams fast. So I am digging deeper and ripping everything apart...I will get this map set and the size 18 to run smoother. The size 13 runs fine as is...but might need the same fixs.
Updated size 16 CIC map loaded at 9:25pm eastern US time. Same link above.

Lowell

Re: Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13-18

Post by Lowell » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Update...Size 18 map posted on the first post. Runs and saves Solid.

I just pulled the old size 13 and 16 links, as the land map file has been found to be faulty. The trouble is the old Basin land map is using the Sat data for coloring the land map. Even though the game "says" :roll: the color data can be used…it causes maps to fail and when laying track it tears the landscape, the surface goes away, trains running on thin air, industries and cities floating in space...then the next thing you know...crash.

So. The fix is to hand painting all land maps inside the editor. Problem fixed. However, I may not have "hand-painted" everything like the sat data...but I got as close as I could.

The map runs solid and I had no troubles running through the scenario goals. Some items may have been moved a tad due to the extra map size...the time scale was increased as well as start money to get you started...you are on your own from there.

Please test-play the scenario and let me know of any changes/corrections that may need to be made. One more thing...I first thought the trouble with the old map was the extremes in height from town to town.

I made a reduced mountain height map in this size 18. So the landscape is a tad lowered. After the old map is re-painted the taller mountain map will be available.

Have fun. Now back to what I am supposed to be doing…working on my own maps. I will post the size 13 as it was after fixing the landmap.

Also...I added my fixed depot, station and terminal set I made some time back.

Hidden Splender
Click on image for full view.

Hidden Splender Stockyard

High Pass

Lost Well

Thanks...let me know your thoughts.

Lowell

Re: Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13-16 -18

Post by Lowell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 am

Part-2 of above post...

High Pass Gold Mine

Tunnel Vision

Coal Run

Notice the top left corner of the Coal Run image...it shows the map running at 56fps. For the most part except for event popups, it runs at a solid 60fps now. I also watched the system resources as the game play went along, the system ran smooth and the game runs without any glitches at all...I was impressed at the "feel" of the game as I played...it runs stable.

I did have an idea that the Distribution Center could take in Autos, Food and such, then divy them out to trains as they run back and forth from their cities getting what their city wants. Switch the locations of the Dist Center and Swine Farm...the center would be in the middle of the map this way. Plus moving a couple items around and removing extra mines and such. Making it a harder scenario in other words. Boosting Bridge costs could also be done.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:19 am

Just found an error. One of those last minute changes that went over looked. I was playing with using only a global goods file...switching back and forth using just the global one or having both the global and scenario file. I replaced the RRT_Goods_basinandrangelm18cic.xml list. However inside the scenario xml list it reads as... RRT_Goodsbasinandrangelm18cic.xml The underscore dash is missing between Goods and basinandrangeln18cic.xml
( Goods_basin... ) like so. I replaced the rar compressed download file with the correction at 1:10 am eastern US time July 16, 2012. Either replace the files or put the ( _ ) in place yourself.

Sorry about that. Funny thing is it still loaded.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:20 pm

I have repaired several trains in this mod. Basin and Range has had troubles with several engines from the start. I had to rebuild everything from the ground up. Even inside the Nif and Kfm files for each car and engine. This has corrected all troubles with their rendering in game. Screenshots will show some of the many repairs.

I still am doing some work going over everything once more to make sure before I re-post everything as fixed/complete. Now would be a good time for any comments as to these files or corrections I may also have to correct. Please email or PM me with any comments. If you send me an email, make sure you place Basin and Range in the subject area or I may delete any of what may seem like Spam email.

A couple of the screenshots show different train cars from what comes with this mod. Those are for a new version with tons of changes...different scenario but the screenshots show the same engine and car repairs that have been made for the regular mod.

There is also an extra gp7 zebra engine model that was popping up in the roundhouse...removed. I also found several engines and dummy tender engines that had "No" kfm for them. Those have been rebuilt and are running correct now as well. There were also several errors in the train car files...rebuilt and fixed.

The SFBlue engine set looks fine in the game, but when it is used with the Warbonnet engine, it tears the skin on the B-Slave SFBlue unit. Fix one and break another…or several. So far they are all looking correct in the rebuild fix.

...Broken...

...Fixed...

...Broken...

...Fixed...

...Broken and now fixed...

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 am

All better.

The main download link on the first post has been updated with the new files...just re-download the map files...throw out the old one.

This should get this size 18 map running far better than the last group of files. The saved game feature has improved as well. You can now load the game right from your MyGames/SidsRailRoads/Saves folder by clicking on any saved game link or Auto Save link. The game starts right up loads the map and returns you to your last spot. No more loading the map first then going into a saved game. Also you can load saved games from the game load screen with no troubles either.

Please let me know if there is any problems with the map. Remember, the red, yellow, green and black FA and B Sante Fe engine sets are Passenger and Mail Only. All other engines will pull freight just fine.

The map runs fine all the way through running at 60fps. Also don't forget to turn off the Precache = 0 inside your Settings.ini file. For some strange reason it fixs many crash issues with several mod maps...plus makes editing while building easier. Maybe someone can explain what this is for and why it helps to have it turned off. On is Precache = 1 off is Precache = 0.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot...I placed the default bridge file back in service...there was no need for the bridge fix this go-round. The landscape no longer needs that fix for height in bridges, as this map has "lowered mountains and landscaping" so to speak. Hence the { lm18 } in the maps name for low mountains and size 18.

I have...updated the depot, station and terminal game models for the animations and station platforms fix of mine. The tunnel file has been adjusted to fix the missing tunnel trouble and is working great.

Now...back to the game and finish Florida Gold and Georgia Peaches.

Lowell

Re: Basin And Range 2-maps CIC build Size 13 -18

Post by Lowell » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 am

Say the size 18 Basin and Range map with slightly lowered mountains, runs fine as is. If anyone wants to post it you may. Rename it if you wish...I just placed a LM for low mountains after the name for the lack of a better one.

The larger size is nice, the river banks are lower so you get a better look at the water. The map runs solid at 60fps, all saves worked fine even auto save links. I re-started several saves by clicking directly on a saved file link in my saved games folder...the game started right up and loaded the game right to that point and ran fine everytime.

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 am

Nice map Lowell. Haven't been playing the game for quite awhile, figured I would install it again see how i runs. Been playing more with Train Simulator 2013. That is quite a game! :D

TMILLER

Post by TMILLER » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 am

Lowell, Nice screen shots. This is a great map. I have a question for you. I was playing the old Basin and Range map a few weeks ago. I hauled Abrams Tanks from the War Factory in Cathedral Valley to the Military Fort in Poison Mesa. All was fine except when I removed the empty cars at Poison Mesa the train would not leave the station. If I left the empty cars on the train it would proceed to the next destination. I have posted a new map titled US_Southeast which uses the same military fort as Basin and Range, and I have the same problem with that map. In my case, whenever I ship troops or ammunition to the military fort and remove the cars, the train freezes at the station and will not move. I have to scrap the train to get it out of the way. If I leave the empty cars on the train it will depart for its next destination with no problem. Do you have the same problem on your version of the Basin and Range map? Any ideas for a solution?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Well thank you Dwax…it is a pleasure to hear from you again my friend. I am glad you enjoy this version. I rebuild and expanded the landscape, rebuilt all engine and car files and listings. I also re-painted the entire landscape, riverbeds and lowered the mountains just a tad and re-built the low lands. Cities were nudged inwards so they would rest “inside” the map borders allowing better camera movement during game play. Running at 60fps with all game saves tested…auto and regular. I too play Trainz 2012-2013 and have had that Auran game form their first version and have been on their beta team for years now. Port Ogden Multiplayer is a great map. I build in Trainz, one of my setups is three times that of Port Ogden’s scope and size.

@TMILLER
About the engines getting stuck after dropping off cars…I would have to see this in game then read through all the lists. Read through that “goods” line of progress…car type, city and/or industry requirements should do the trick looking for misspellings as well. You say this is happening on your new Southeast map? I have taken several weeks off from completing the Florida Gold upgrade/expansion (3/4 done)…Doctors visits and general goofing off. I am starting back up production as it were on F/G and a Georgia Peaches map I have had for some time I need to finish.

I do not have that problem on this size 18 version of the Basin and Range map. I cannot remember on testing the original and seeing this trouble…although many gremlins have gone away after my rebuild. I even re-listed everything in the Nif files for all cars and engines. Man what a headache it was…I am still not sure just “what” was wrong so I rebuilt everything as I would have done, it works now anyway.

I would be happy to look through your files if you are still having this type issue with one of your maps…feel free to email or PM me if you wish at either this site or Bobby’s. Always happy to help.

This map needs a new name. When posting it I would like to have Choobacca and Big Pappa’s names in there as this was their big creation from the start. My input during this map build at the time was minimal. My hope in this rebuild is to allow everyone a chance to play this great scenario all the way through with no issues and have fun.

TMILLER

Post by TMILLER » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Lowell, I would love for you to take a look at the files. The US_Southeast map in posted in Maps in Development on the line just beneath your Basin and Range. Thanks, TMiller

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:55 am

Basin Range Landscape2.jpg
fix this fantastic map into a simple drag-and-drop map install.
Lowell, this is certainly a welcome development, thanks for making this excellent granddaddy of all content-enhanced maps available as a straightforward drag and drop map!
Basin Range Landscape.jpg
The scenery is beautiful and so much enhanced by the natural riverbeds. The improved access to the border towns is most welcome and the scenario ran without a single crash. Another beauty of this Big Papa and Choobacca scenario is that the conditions are quite tricky at first, but can be resolved in a uncluttered, prototypical routing layout with a bit of analysis (Investor Level).
Basin Range Landscape3.jpg
It seems the mystery of the crash-on-start has been with us from the beginning of this first content-enhanced map and it may still take a while to unravel. I cannot say that the save-games loaded without crash initially, but once I had changed to Precache = 0 in my Settings.ini file, the problem seemed to be solved! :!:

I know Warll prefers new content over refurbished existing maps, but every once in a while it is good to see an excellent original map get a facelift to make it even better and more accessible. Well done! :D
Attachments
Basin Range 21 yrs early.jpg
Basin Range Route.jpg

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am

Well thanks...yes everyone should change the Precache = 0 in the Settings.ini file…change the one to a zero. This will also aid during map building, as it will “force” the game to load everything "fresh" each load as you make changes or play the game. I found this out some months back.

I tested all saves by clicking right on the saved game links right from the desktop without having the game running…even in the auto save folder and they all started the game right up, then loaded the scenario right back to where I left off. No need to even start the game first…just click on a save link anywhere.

Thanks for the comments; this build took some time to figure out.