Borneo Island Map Final Release

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Jancsika

Re: Borneo Island Map Final Release

Post by Jancsika » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Congratulation!!!
It is tricky, Is not it??
I am in Era 2. It took me couple of tries to discover the Passenger traffic roundabout. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All those new TrainCars are great.
Jancsila

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Jancsika wrote:Congratulation!!!
It is tricky, Is not it??
I am in Era 2. It took me couple of tries to discover the Passenger traffic roundabout. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jancsila
karsten wrote: Very clever little traps and difficulties in the map Rodea and great fun! Towards the end I had a clockwork operation, no need for manual intervention except upgrading engines to reduce maintenance costs.
Be Carefull, what has been Karsten said as a little trap is for example when you carry a passenger from Pontianak to Banjarmasin, usually we are to do is to bring back passengers from Banjarmasin to pontianak, here it is the little trap, because if you do that, so you do not have more passengers which will depart from Banjarmasin to Samarinda
Jancsika wrote: All those new TrainCars are great
Thanks you
karsten wrote: Well, I managed to finish the scenario, with a few years to spare, but only at investor level. I wonder whether someone else can do better.... 8)
This map designed for play with AI's, so if you didn't play with AI's that is not finish yet, because you didn't to bought 40% stock from the AI's........ :D
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 pm

OK, so I tried it again, with AI included :D
Managed to buy them out just before the end of the first era. Luckily, they had built useful networks, which I could use. 8)
In the end, I had 49 trains running in a massive clockwork operation. Those automobile runs are top profit makers. Finished 18 years early. Whew, after that, I need a holiday! :lol: See you all again in two weeks. :D
Attachments
Brisk activity.jpg
Borneo win IV trains.jpg
Borneo win IV competitors.jpg
Borneo win IV.jpg

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:03 am

karsten wrote:OK, so I tried it again, with AI included :D
Managed to buy them out just before the end of the first era. Luckily, they had built useful networks, which I could use. 8)
In the end, I had 49 trains running in a massive clockwork operation. Those automobile runs are top profit makers. Finished 18 years early. Whew, after that, I need a holiday! :lol: See you all again in two weeks. :D
Congratulations!!! .... you are the first person who has completed the largest SMR Game map in this world
So maybe I can ask some questions to you :
1. As the largest map ever there, it was 24x24 (previously only 20x20), did you get any trouble when to play it your computer.

2. What conclusions do you get when playing this map and what your suggestions to mapper to create a better map and fun.

3. I do not know what map style I use, when compared with the SAM or the CIC what can you conclude

Thank you for playing my maps and respond to it, this is actually expected, you play a map and then you give comments to it and I think this is another form of credit you give to the creator's map
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Did you have problem with having the Assets (FPK) files in the CustomAssets folder?
I had to move mine in the UserMaps folder.
I have not finished yet. But it is running smooth. No CTD at all.
Of course I have 3 GB free memory (total 4 GB) for the game in Windows 7.
When I load the game the memory usage is about 55%.
At completion of Era 1 it was about 63 %.
Jancsika

Warll

Re: Borneo 島 図 Final Release

Post by Warll » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:33 pm

MB != GB.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:45 pm

MB != GB
:oops: Picky, picky. :D :D
Jancsika

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:10 am

Jancsika wrote:Did you have problem with having the Assets (FPK) files in the CustomAssets folder?
I had to move mine in the UserMaps folder.
I have not finished yet. But it is running smooth. No CTD at all.
Of course I have 3 GB free memory (total 4 GB) for the game in Windows 7.
When I load the game the memory usage is about 55%.
At completion of Era 1 it was about 63 %.
Jancsika
Logically I think that if you need something and that something is in the coffin, of course you have to open the box before you can take the goods. imagery is why I no longer use the FPK but immediately put all the assets in place with its original form, and is different from the CIC style by Lowell's of putting all the assets in the folder UserMaps.
and I recommend that you perform as specified by this game like UserMaps folder just for Map and CustomAssets folder for assets
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:14 am

First: These are the 5 files that come with the installer.
BIM
BIM_Industries
BIM_Interface
BIM_TrainCars
BIM_Trains
These are not FPK files

Second: With these files in the "CustomAssets" directory, the game will not start.

Third: Moving these files in the "UserMaps" directory the game starts and plays flawlessly.

Fourth: The RRT_Goods.XML file (Global?) can be placed in the "CustomAssets/XML" folder.
.......or can be placed in the "UserMaps/Borneo Island Map" folder. It makes no difference.

Fifth: If all the files can be placed in the "UserMaps" folder, why do we need an installer? :wink:

Jancsika

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 am

karsten wrote:OK, so I tried it again, with AI included :D

I don't know Karsten... the biggest moneymaking trains should always be passenger routes... But only if you set them up right. But it sounds like you mopped the floor with that map so I guess it's of no consequence.
-Bob the Lunatic

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:21 am

Jancsika wrote:First: These are the 5 files that come with the installer.
BIM
BIM_Industries
BIM_Interface
BIM_TrainCars
BIM_Trains
These are not FPK files

Second: With these files in the "CustomAssets" directory, the game will not start.

Third: Moving these files in the "UserMaps" directory the game starts and plays flawlessly.

Fourth: The RRT_Goods.XML file (Global?) can be placed in the "CustomAssets/XML" folder.
.......or can be placed in the "UserMaps/Borneo Island Map" folder. It makes no difference.

Fifth: If all the files can be placed in the "UserMaps" folder, why do we need an installer? :wink:

Jancsika
1. This map style is my own style not SAM or CIC style, So I'll do what I think the best thing to do ...... referring to the above message.
2. Karsten had completed these maps without significant problems, so why you can talk like that, you should read the Readme.txt in Borneo Map Islan more carefully before you issue a statement,
Note the contents of the following Readme.txt especially red lines

Rodea2007 MAP
The Borneo Island Map
====================
ATTENTION PLEASE:
This is Huge map come with size 24 x 24, The first Huge Map in this forum and perhaps other SMR forum
So I do not recommend you to play this map if you have a memory under 2 GB.

How to Installation :
---------------------

For ease of installation and uninstallation to your computer this map provide a working installer program to automate your work,
which is by simply clicking on the Installer icon, then the Installer will copy all the files needed to run this map to specified place,
which means you do not need worried about the files that are not copied, which can cause this folder does not work properly.
and vice versa if you are bored to play this map, is also provide uninstall programs that will delete all files that have been copied,
so you can install another map on your computer.
I am not responsible for what happens if you fail to play this map if you do not follow the procedures I have already set,
So do not use program such as 7zip to extract the Installer then copy all extracteds file as you want, just only use the Installer which was provided

Thank you for you Install and use The Borneo Island Map

Have fun and enjoy it....

Rodea 2007

3. The same with Number 2
4. This is Not SAM or CIC style so if you placed RRT_Goods.xml in UserMaps folder it's make difference. did you know that?.
5. Reference to Number 2 and 4 why you want to do that, as to talking about Installer, I have never forced to anyone to use Installer for their map, because I believe not all from the mappers have ability to make an Installer, you need have ability to make that, but for the user, that is the way to make installation a map to their computer very very simple, just clik Icon the Installer and then the Isntaller will working for you...just it. but to the user is not like use the installer then I never forced them to use my map, because I will not get anythings if may map you take or not. I've spent time, effort and money to produce a map, while you not need to spend your money to get these maps, so logically why I should follow your wishes
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

gabrielflo25

Post by gabrielflo25 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:49 pm

:cry: Everytime after '35 YEARS I get big error (something about Microsoft visual c++) :cry:
I like a lot this map GREAT TRAINS!!!!

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:36 am

gabrielflo25 wrote::cry: Everytime after '35 YEARS I get big error (something about Microsoft visual c++) :cry:
I like a lot this map GREAT TRAINS!!!!
Thank you for playing my Borneo Island Map
Maybe you need to install Microsoft visual c++ 2005 or newest Microsoft visual c++ 2008 from Microsoft site or check about your memory, as I said before this map needed 1.4 Gb memory to run smooth on first Era and will need more memory if come to Seconds Era
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Warll

Re: Borneo 島 図 Final Release

Post by Warll » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:00 am

That error has nothing to do with not having the proper library, its just a plain crash.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:52 pm

Rodea2007 wrote:
karsten wrote:Whew, after that, I need a holiday! :lol: See you all again in two weeks. :D
1. As the largest map ever there, it was 24x24 (previously only 20x20), did you get any trouble when to play it your computer.

2. What conclusions do you get when playing this map and what your suggestions to mapper to create a better map and fun.

3. I do not know what map style I use, when compared with the SAM or the CIC what can you conclude

4. Thank you for playing my maps and respond to it, this is actually expected, you play a map and then you give comments to it and I think this is another form of credit you give to the creator's map
Well, back from my holiday, and delighted to respond to Rodea's questions:

1. I had no problem at all running this huge map from start to win to Rodea Victory Screen (is that cool fellow your son, by the way?) Even toward the end, game freezes (when SMR stops for a while to think after you lay new track) were minimal. - Having said that, I have 3GB installed and the crucial patch that makes SMR aware of large memory. I also run a core i7 processor, but that probably makes little difference, since SMR is single thread.

2. Rodea's Borneo is a hugely fun and challenging map and certainly one of the best ever. The new content is super-duper, wins hand down. And in addition and just as important, lots of carefully constructed brain-teasers, puzzles and traps in the map, which increase the replay value tremendously. Because all puzzles are fair and have logical solutions, every map replay is a great opportunity for further optimization, which is one of the key fascinations of SMR. 8)
Suggestions on how to make the best better? :D This is a map about a real place, Borneo, and yet, beyond town names and the currency denomination, there is not much we learn about it. One way to create tremendous additional authenticity is to use the individual victory screens, perhaps even the map-specific event screens, to provide visual Borneo feedback to the gamer. An excellent example of how to do this is provided by Universum in "Utah".
Scenery: I know it is difficult to do good "jungle" with the trees provided by SMR. But jungle defines Borneo, as far as I can see, so some typical jungle scenery would be awesome.
Bridge file: as can be seen in the screenshot, the bridge file does not cleanly separate the bridge type heights. So SMR gets into a muddle when constructing a bridge. No biggie!

3. CIC is a certification, a confirmation of certain characteristics of a map by external review. CIC confirms that a map is easy to install and that it runs crash-free to completion. I conclude that this is an excellent Rodea-style map, neither SAM nor CIC. It is almost CIC, because it has a flawless event file, and it does not crash. But despite the hard work that doubtlessly went into testing the Installer, I have to agree with Jancsika that it does not always work, certainly not on my Vista system. I also did not find restarting a saved game straightforward.
Many people have criticised Lowell's map files as excessive and as too verbose, and intuitively, I would tend to agree. But the fact is, you can move any of Lowell's maps into the SMR UserMaps folder, start up SMR, load a months-old SaveGame of that map, be it Ohio or Mudskippers, and the map will start and run flawlessly, exactly as you saved it months ago! THAT, to me, is CIC.
I am not saying that Lowell's structure is optimal, it probably contains too many files, but it WORKS. The optimal file structure will probably be discovered some day somewhere between Lowell's over-careful structure and the reduced structure currently used by Rodea.

4.Yes, I could not agree more, constructive feedback to the map creator, or a simple thank you, are tremendously important payback for all the days and weeks of effort that go into the construction of a good map. In fact, the amount of comment a map generates can be used as indicator of a top map. I once made for myself a list of the top 30 most commented maps and I would have recommended at least 24 of them immediately for inclusion in the top 30 of best maps - and the other 6 fell out not because they were not excellent, but simply because they were unfinished with crash problems. That is why it is so important not to separate the maps from the thread, or at least to provide a link to the map thread.
Attachments
SMR Victory!.jpg
Lucrative tourists returning from jungle visit.jpg