dwax
No votes
CalmDragon
14%

Total votes: 14

Burlington_Northern_3140

Mod?

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:22 pm

It would be interesting to see who the fan site believes should be mod. So here is a poll.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Re: Mod?

Post by Wolfwood » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:25 pm

If I'm allowed to give my opinion, the voters should consider the fact that an important characteristic of a good moderator is that (s)he is not easily intimidated by anyone and is willing to hold his/her ground and make decisions that may not always be received with a happy smile.

So, if you can find such a person amongst yourselves, it would be great! :)
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Any opinion is welcome! Go ahead and post your thoughts.
Thomas
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:07 am

At one time atani was talking to Falconer about the job, never hear anymore.

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 am

So, are you saying you want atani on the list, or is this just a bit of info that may interest us?
Thomas

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 am

Wolfwood wrote:If I'm allowed to give my opinion, the voters should consider the fact that an important characteristic of a good moderator is that (s)he is not easily intimidated by anyone and is willing to hold his/her ground and make decisions that may not always be received with a happy smile.

So, if you can find such a person amongst yourselves, it would be great! :)

Well hey, maybe I could use my virtues for GOOD then! I've demonstrated I cannot be intimidated and I am a very fair person, so I have to throw my hat in for the job now.

Mind you, I never considered it and had been recommending Jancsika... but now that you describe the qualities required of the responsibility-frankly I think I fit the bill as well as anyone lol. I would also state that I've had many positions of responsibility in the past and have always done well and never abused any power afforded to me, not even once. I was in charge of all the Young Men in Wyoming in a religious organization, and also of all the students in a 6 state area in my care-and got a great many things accomplished, including establishing a large lecture circuit at several Universities.

Anyway, I'm just saying: I'm qualified and would be happy to do my best and not show favoritism anywhere. And I've clearly demonstrated my ability to "hold my ground".

Either way, I'd just like to see the forum stay (SMR) and hopefully falconer's heart has softened. I do think one way or another we need a moderator, and however that occurs, and whomever it is would surely be a positive thing for all of us and allow us to benefit more from the forum.
Last edited by darthdroid on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 am

lol cool, I didn't know you already had me on the list BN, thanks for thinking I might be a potential candidate lol!
-Bob the Lunatic

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 am

If truth be told, after all the emotions we have seen on the forum over the past year, I would prefer to see Wolfwood continue to make a serious effort at moderating the SMR forum to keep it civil and, above all, productive. Wolfwood has made some very good suggestions for developing this forum in the past, which sadly foundered on destructive objections.

On the other hand, it can be enormously useful when the moderator is an active player close to the forum topics. darthdroid has made a pretty convincing election pitch, so on balance, assuming Wolfwood wants to stay in the background to handle the really serious problems, I have decided to vote for darthdroid. :D

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:46 pm

I have been mulling over this whole forum/moderator business.
There are couple items that needs to be addressed:

Has Falconeer decided yet about keeping the forum open?

Does management wants to have a moderator at all? We have not heard from Falconeer yet!

If they decide that we need a moderator from among ourselves, what authority will he have?
We had Tazz, who did not know what was going on, and Snoopy whose only authority was to tell people that they were posting in the wrong thread.
He (according to him) did not have the authority to pull objectionable posts. As for Atani I really don't know if he did much moderating. He was and is great in technical matters but is really not a participant any more.

If we can have a moderator he should be familiar with the game, should be impartial and neutral and most of all have the ability to keep peace.

It has just occurred to me, about the “keeping of the peace”, that lately we have been pretty peaceful. I think that we are all “mature” adults.
Maybe we don't need a moderator at all if Wolfwood is going to keep an eye on things.

So I appreciate the couple messages that I got about running, but again I think this is not “campaigning to be the president of the US” , so lets wait and see.
Jancsika

PS. Less government is good government.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Quick! Someone give me a baby to kiss!
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Jancsika wrote:I have been mulling over this whole forum/moderator business.
There are couple items that needs to be addressed:

Does management wants to have a moderator at all? We have not heard from Falconeer yet!

If they decide that we need a moderator from among ourselves, what authority will he have?
We had Tazz, who did not know what was going on, and Snoopy whose only authority was to tell people that they were posting in the wrong thread.
He (according to him) did not have the authority to pull objectionable posts. As for Atani I really don't know if he did much moderating. He was and is great in technical matters but is really not a participant any more.

If we can have a moderator he should be familiar with the game, should be impartial and neutral and most of all have the ability to keep peace.

It has just occurred to me, about the “keeping of the peace”, that lately we have been pretty peaceful. I think that we are all “mature” adults.
Maybe we don't need a moderator at all if Wolfwood is going to keep an eye on things.

So I appreciate the couple messages that I got about running, but again I think this is not “campaigning to be the president of the US” , so lets wait and see.
Jancsika

PS. Less government is good government.
I too think Wolfwood did an excellent job. But the issue I see is that Wolfie and Falconer are more like "hosts". And hosts don't like to spend time on menial tasks, but rather on the more important issues-after all, HG is clearly a large and complex web site that I imagine requires a lot of time. The whole reason our forum has come close to death is because it's beginning to take up too much of these hosts' time and had started to become a hassle to the degree of making the hosting unreasonable eh?

I agree that I think this group is mature and can get along-but what if a new element arises? Or what if again in the absence of a moderator-people again start getting loose with words (myself included of course) and so forth... This is an all ages game and we need some sort of "safety" that the forum is a safe place and of course with no bickering...

Whether it's me or not, I definitely think we need a moderator. We need to be able to deal with any issues ourselves without having to call on Wolfwood in my opinion. After all, Wolfwood has things to do! Our forum is like a garden and every garden needs a gardener.

I would also say that if it makes you feel better Jancsika: I would not view the responsibility of moderator as a "leader" or some other synonym that indicates "power" which is the emotion invoked to me by your government analogy. I would rather view it more as a caretaker. And as long as it doesn't turn into a "Jack Torrence" style of performance (The Shining), I think that is what we need.
-Bob the Lunatic

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:25 pm

I was quoting myself from above.

Let's hear from management first what they want, how they want to moderate the forum.
If and when we have one, he should have the authority.

Then we can decide.
Jancsika

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I imagine that "management" is trying to take a passive approach and will likely go along with the community's consensus provided they don't see it heading to yet another dead end.

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Wow! Lots of votes for Bob! I think we have a winner! On an after thought, do we really want a lunatic in charge? :lol:
Thomas

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes, Yes we do.
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200