San Martino BETA

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Warll wrote:Dwax who on earth has Winrar but yet can not open a .zip! Windows can open it by itself even!
:lol: I'm trying to get over the Flu Bug...but I laughed sooo hard at this it hurt.

Good map...Star Ranger

Found one thing right off...an xml error on your TrainCars.xml file.
Line 59 mismatched tag. Remove the doubled </traincars> entry
<TenderCar>
<szName>AmericanDummy</szName>
</TenderCar>
<TenderCar>
<szName>Consolidation Tender Car</szName>
</TenderCar>
</TenderCar>

<TenderCar>
<szName>PacificDummy</szName>
</TenderCar>

That being said...you should never list Tender Cars on your train cars list ...unless... you have made "new" tender cars. Listing tender cars inside with your other train cars will cause your map to fail..."ctd." You won't see the crash...but others may, as they already have the tenders listed inside their globals if they loaded the tender mod already.

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:45 am

aha! Ok, I never knew THAT part, Lowell, cause the tenders were in there from creation... Must be because I have the individual maps installed but not neccecarily SMRI.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 am

...yeah...the tender cars always get stuck in there at the start...we just remove them. No biggie. I don't know if we ever found out "why" they cause a ctd in some cases if left in there...but it must be the double entry somehow.

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:44 am

Updated .zip to V 0.75m AKA Beta 2, incorporating all the little tweaks you all have mentioned so far...

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Great map Star Ranger!
I finished playing it last night and everything worked fine.

I really liked the whole mesa theme. Having cities that high up
gives a nice twist to the game. I do think you made the scenario far too
easy though. The real challenge is in how you start. Once you figure that
out, money starts to poor in real fast real soon.
Still I had a great time with it. Thanks for creating!

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:38 am

Bushdoctor wrote:Great map Star Ranger!
I finished playing it last night and everything worked fine. ...
A map that works? Everything works fine? A first! What & where is it? (salivating w/anticipation!)

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:34 pm

This is a fun challenge. Lets have some more! :D

I got lost initially in the first era trying to succeed as Robber Baron from Mesa Verde. But on restart from Mesa Rancera things went so well that I completed all objectives before the end of the second era (in 1935).
Could have been earlier, but some weapons-producing towns ostensibly accepting weapons (e.g. Mesa Diago) don't. Also, the "propaganda" condition is checked green after buying only one newspaper.
Attachments
San Martino Route as Robber Baron completed in 1935
San Martino Route as Robber Baron completed in 1935
San Martino Route Robber Baron 1935.jpg (712.63 KiB) Viewed 10892 times
Viaduct Mesa Nueve-Rancera.jpg
Viaduct Mesa Nueve-Rancera.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 10893 times

Bunit

Re: San Martino BETA

Post by Bunit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:22 am

Star Ranger4 wrote: Requires SMRI or the 'Fixed' version of the Santa scenario

As this is presently beta, no installer, just the zip which I trust all of you understand how to install without an installer?
Tried this one and crazy things happened. Just noticed the above items What Is SMRI and the Santa Scenario i got when i downloaed the Updates from the Railroads website.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Tried this one and crazy things happened. Just noticed the above items What Is SMRI and the Santa Scenario i got when i downloaed the Updates from the Railroads website.
I would be careful with this one.
The "Santa Scenario"refers to the "Holiday Scenario" that Firaxis made, it proved to be conflicting with later modding, so there is a modded variety of it, that is available in the Wiki.
SMRI was a first attempt by the modding community to standartize the game. It proved to be effective but rather too much on the computer resources.
It was abandoned for the SAM and CIC type of scenarios.
Somebody should look at this map and convert it to SAM.
Jancsika
I would try to stick to these maps. They have been tested and are generally crash proof.
Last edited by Jancsika on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Jancsika wrote:Somebody should look at this map and convert it to SAM.
It's been converted, but it is in need of a full testing. If you want to, we'll gladly let you. PM/email me.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:30 am

snoopy55 wrote:
Jancsika wrote:Somebody should look at this map and convert it to SAM.
It's been converted, but it is in need of a full testing. If you want to, we'll gladly let you. PM/email me.
Ok PM what is that?, this is the first forum i have joined and do not know some of the jargon used, is that the little button at the bottom of each message that says P.Msg.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 am

OK. I see your problem. You are trying to play maps thet have been long abandoned or superseeded. If you look at the date of the last post they are a year or so old.
A lot has been done to this game since Firaxis abandoned it. And most of it was done by trial and error, hence the different approach to this game.
A few of our more experienced members realized that the major obstacle was the program loading all those unnecesarry maps and overloading the computer’s processing capebility.
A system was devised where only the one map and only the necessary supporting files are loaded. It is called Stand Alone Map, abbreviated to SAM.
You can find these maps at the following thread.
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=2810

As how to install and play them here is a copy of Snoopy’s Instructions.

SAM (Stand Alone Maps)

The following is the instructions for their use.

1) Go into C:\Documents and Settings\(your computers name)\My Documents\My Games and rename the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you presently have, adding an ending to it, whatever you want.

2) Start the game. When it gets to the main menu, exit.

3) Go into the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you renamed and copy the 'Settings.ini' file into the newly created Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. You now have the basis for all future SAM and CIC maps.

4) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

5) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

6) Close all folders and play the map.

To play a different map:

1) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

2) Delete any folders and files contained there.

3) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

4) Close all folders and play the map.

I hope this will help. If you have any problem, just ask. We will gladly help.
Jancsika

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 am

Jancsika wrote:OK. I see your problem. You are trying to play maps thet have been long abandoned or superseeded. If you look at the date of the last post they are a year or so old.
A lot has been done to this game since Firaxis abandoned it. And most of it was done by trial and error, hence the different approach to this game.
A few of our more experienced members realized that the major obstacle was the program loading all those unnecesarry maps and overloading the computer’s processing capebility.
A system was devised where only the one map and only the necessary supporting files are loaded. It is called Stand Alone Map, abbreviated to SAM.
You can find these maps at the following thread.
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=2810

As how to install and play them here is a copy of Snoopy’s Instructions.

SAM (Stand Alone Maps)

The following is the instructions for their use.

1) Go into C:\Documents and Settings\(your computers name)\My Documents\My Games and rename the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you presently have, adding an ending to it, whatever you want.

2) Start the game. When it gets to the main menu, exit.

3) Go into the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you renamed and copy the 'Settings.ini' file into the newly created Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. You now have the basis for all future SAM and CIC maps.

4) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

5) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

6) Close all folders and play the map.

To play a different map:

1) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

2) Delete any folders and files contained there.

3) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

4) Close all folders and play the map.

I hope this will help. If you have any problem, just ask. We will gladly help.
Jancsika
Thank you I think I get the drift I will give it ago and see what happens.