Central Andes

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Slappy Da Clown

Hey

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed May 02, 2007 11:06 am

Hey D

I have noticed that if left unattended the game will ctd. I think its the game in this case & not the map. I believe that when there is no user input ( moving the cursor & so forth ) something in the game loads up ( maybe memory ). Try it on another map. It may depend on the time left unattended or not I have not spent any time investigating but I have noticed it on my machine.
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

d53642

Post by d53642 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:08 pm

I tried this map again today and it crashed on me while playing.

The San Andes map works great though, played 5 games of it so far and even a table mode is on the go and have not had a crash yet.

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sat May 26, 2007 7:40 am

The first time i played this map it crashed also before i could play it but the second time it played well for a few hours but i lost it also at the end.
Yesterday i was about 15 min far when i clicked on a city and the screen freesed.I couldn't do anything, not stopping the game and not going to the victoryscreen or something.

I was so frustrated i pulled out the plugg from my PC and restarted him but Windows didn't start up.I tryed a few times but always the same result.I fixed the problem by using Norton "go back".It's ok now.

Any ideas what to do to avoyed this problem?

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat May 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Keep your computer's plug in the wall next time?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat May 26, 2007 6:39 pm

If pulling the plug caused it not to restart then you have bigger problems with your system and SMR is not likely the cause. The things that usually cause freezes are problem hardware and unstable drivers so make sure you have stable drivers for every piece of hardware in your system. If you've had your system for a while you might want to clean out the dust and reseat all connections and cards.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun May 27, 2007 12:06 am

Chalako wrote:..."snip"...

I was so frustrated i pulled out the plugg from my PC and restarted him but Windows didn't start up.I tryed a few times but always the same result.I fixed the problem by using Norton "go back".It's ok now.

Any ideas what to do to avoyed this problem?
Wow! You shouldn't do that to your operating system. Next time try a Ctrl + Alt + Del and then when the Windows Task Manager pops up look at the Processes tab and then look for the Railroads.exe line...highlight and click the End Process button. You can also try using the Ctrl + Esc to minimize the game then shut it down. Xp will allow you to set the time back and restore your settings without using Nortons...it's already built inside the opp software. Sounds like a memory issue. Graphics card...ram...hard drive transfer speed (because railroads uses the swap file for storage) the NorthBridge set on your motherboard, AGP "is dead...too slow" go with PCI Express . Try setting your Windows page file/swap file size to; Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance...click the "settings button"/Advanced/Virtual Memory..."click the change tab"/
"Make the Initial size (MB) 2046 ... then make the Maximum size (MB) 4092." Apply and reboot. This will give you a bit more swap file size so the game can use it better. I do that for HL2 and other games as well. Map "size" may affect how much system resources are needed.

Other than that, any errors in the Scenario xml files or any of the other files that go with the map, can cause the ctd trouble...and...it can creep up in the game as it writes the engine - track and train car data into the "players" Scenario file that the game makes.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sun May 27, 2007 12:13 pm

I've had hundreds of CTD's with SMR, most resulting in the black screen and the do you want to report this problem to microsoft window. Several times I've had my screen resolution screwed up by SMR and at least 2 times I've had a completely frozen computer and had to hit the reset button. I've never had more than a few CTD's with other games and software and I can't recall any complete shutdowns or screen rez effups so my blame lies squarely with SMR and not MY computer. Other peoples mileage may differ but that's my take on the problem with my system.

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun May 27, 2007 4:50 pm

I have had that problem before too. And there is nothing wrong with my system. it just froze up my system,had to reset like CeeBee51 did. One happened while trying to load a game, needless to say that saved game was deleted! :twisted:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun May 27, 2007 5:16 pm

Be careful about playing in Train Table mode. I was testing my map I am building and in Train Table mode you will most surely get CTD within a couple hours or less of play. I have already reported the trouble to 2K Games...they are in control of this game right now...not Fraxis. At least that is what I was told from them...I have a case number for that trouble and a couple others.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:05 am

Chalako - You've been given alot of great suggestions here. As the Doc said, clean your system, inside the case and the hard drive. By going into Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools you'll find Disk Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup. Check for updates for your MoBo, sound card and graphics card. If you can, check the temperature of your CPU and see if the heat sink on it and your graphics card need cleaning.
As Lowel says, don't unplug your system while it's running unless you see it smoking! After his 2 suggestions, take CeeBee51s and dwaxs idea and hit reset. If that don't do it, and really try, hold the power button till it shuts down. Some may not agree with that last, but it's much better than pulling the plug! Also download Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search & Destroy, which are free, and run those.
This game sucks alot of memory and almost all the CPU time so old drivers and unwanted things running in the background need to be taken care of. Been There - Done That....... :wink:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon May 28, 2007 5:16 am

I learned to clean out the insides once a month. I had not done that before, when I opened it up. "Because of over heating" It had critters in it! :lol: Couldn't believe it, spiders and webs and tons of dust. Makes a difference in keeping it cool. :lol:

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon May 28, 2007 1:49 pm

It is also advised you get a can of compressed air and use that along with a vacuum. Most computer shops should have the compressed air in stock.

atani

Post by atani » Mon May 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Warll wrote:It is also advised you get a can of compressed air and use that along with a vacuum. Most computer shops should have the compressed air in stock.
Most Walmart, Staples or Office Depot will carry canned air as well.

One thing to keep in mind when getting canned air, shop around the prices can be as much as $5 difference between stores.

Mike

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:40 am

Hi guys, my hard drive was busted.Yesterday i got a new one from Dell and it's running smootely now.I lost all my files that where on my busted hard drive(pictures, games ,music etc...).The games is not so bad but that i lost all of mypics is a little disaster.Don't know what caused it, i called the helpdesc in N-Ireland and whe tryed to repair it but no use.I did run a diagnose on the disc and got a code 7.I don't have a clue what this means, all i know is i can use it anymore.

Well, thanks for the advice guys.The man from Ireland said also to never pull the plugg out, just hit the start button for five seconds and it will shut down.I didn't know that.i pushed that button but not long enough...lol. :oops:

Now i have a lot off work reinstalling games and looking for the pics i lost.

Bye

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Unless you have gigs and gigs of pictures you should think about uploading them to either PhotoBucket or some other photo up load site.