Global XML Instructions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Pete

Post by Pete » Wed May 09, 2007 4:36 pm

On some of the installs I did, it created a second folder on my machine too.
What I did was copy the files from the second one to the first, and then delete the empty one. Make sure their the same name (Sid Meier's Railroads!) or it will create another when you restart the game.

Worked for me.

Pete

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Fri May 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Oh, thanks Pete.I will start over again later this week to see if it happends again.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Chalako - hey, could you please let us know which chose a second folder? Basicly, which went into which folder and what the exact names of the folders were. I've not heard of this before and it may be something to be looked into.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sat May 12, 2007 5:05 am

I don't have it on my PC anymore but i remember that the CustomAssets folder was empty.Also there was a usermaps and saved games folder.

In the other SMR folder the CustumAssets folder had the usual files in it, including the Santamap i installed.

It was weard that when i tryed to install the Santamap in that empty CustomAssets folder i didn't work but i found it back in the other one.

Another thing is when i click on the shortcut to CustumAssets i end up in the one that's empty.

Maybe Pete can tell you more.

I try a new install now and see what happends.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat May 12, 2007 5:08 am

What do you mean by shortcut? Is it one you set up your self or do you mean a folder?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:33 am

Chalako - what was the name of the folders that each of the CustomAssets folders was in? It should be "Sid Meier's Railroads!".

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sat May 12, 2007 6:35 am

yes Warll ,it's a folder.Besides it are the words CustomAssets
shortcut
1 KB
Look in the SMR-folder on the drive where you installed the game.

snoopy55, i have another problem.In the choobaccaPak are 5 XML files i have to copy in to the XML folder but when i try it i get a window that says that the file already exists and if i want to replace it with this one.I tryed to dragg the file in it but the same result.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 am

Seeing as the Setup on the first page of that thread was edited AFTER the ChoobaccaPak, I don't believe you should play with that. Only run the Setups, and some of the downloads in Trains that are not Setups. That Pak was made because of maps interfering with each other.
Load all the Setups you want, playing each map before going on to the next to test your system out on each map.

Are you still getting more than one SMR folder?

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sat May 12, 2007 8:00 am

Oh...so ,i can delete those files and i don't have to do that editing.Ok

Yes i got a second SMR folder after installing the santa-scenario but you know that by now.

Thanks again.

I will try to install another map and see if it happends again.

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sun May 13, 2007 5:39 am

This must be boring for you guys but after installing the setup_Europe i have AGAIN a second SMR folder on my C:drive with only CustomAssets in it including all the files from the Europe map.

I moved everything to the other folder and deleted the other one.I played the map and it works fine.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:29 am

OK, first, this is not boring........ now what did you say?

Oh ya, you made a mistake here, I need you to go into the address where it stored the file all the way to the map and right click on the address bar and copy it, then paste it in your reply, making note that it is the bad load. Then I need you to go into the address where your good ones are stored and go all the way to the map and again, right click on the address bar and copy it, and paste it into your reply, making note that it is the working one. In this way we can see what is happening.

We need to find out what is going on since when you get into maps with special materials, copying one XML onto another will wipe out some data that is needed in another map.

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Sun May 13, 2007 4:49 pm

This is the bad one

C:\Documents and Settings\Fraeyman\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML

This is the good one

C:\Documents and Settings\Fraeyman\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads\CustomAssets\XML

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:05 pm

Problem solved! When you created the address you left off the '!'. That is part of the address. If you go into the drive where you have the game, you will see the exclamation point there also.
I just went into mine and removed it. When I started the game, it put a new folder in so I now have 2, Sid Meier's Railroads and Sid Meier's Railroads!. Are you saying that your game is working using the folder without the exclamation point?

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun May 13, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi Snoop and Chalako.
Sorry.....I've been away camping in the woods.

When I created my original folder, I called it Sid Meier's Railroads.
Without the exclamation mark.
When Santa installs it looks for the exclamation mark, and if it doesn't find it, it creates that new folder.
I just renamed my original (added the exclamation mark), put all the files in the original, and everything was fine from there.
On a clean install; if the name had the exclamation mark, it wouldn't create the second folder.

Clear as mud.

Pete

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 am

In other words, if you did not install SMR to the default directory then the installers may not work well for you. I installed SMR to C:\Games\Railroads so of course my custom content folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Dr Frag\My Documents\My Games\Railroads but I have been manually customizing my XMLs from the start so it's not that big a deal for me to install a new map, and I like to know what's in there anyway. :P I use 7-zip to extract the installer files and then manually install the custom content. Not a cake walk but it's doable.