(351.06 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
spain.zip
Scenario Spain
(454.91 KiB) Downloaded 1026 times

K-class

Not in English

Post by K-class » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Hello,

Looks like a updated Spain map from http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?t=1285

The Scenario is not in English.

Just letting you know as Im sure there was a english fix somewhere in these forums. Still looking oh I remember that was for the Mapa de Italia.

:D

tomasvicente38

Post by tomasvicente38 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:37 pm

This map contains the history of the railroad in Spain in 4 periods.
It is not an update of the other map.

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:27 pm

Thank you.

Very hilly and needs a very long bridge to get the oil.

Can we get a English translation of the scenario please. Its workable as it is but would be nice to have in English. :D

universum

Post by universum » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:32 am

Here is English version of the scenario file (you will have to unzip the file and overwrite original with it).

Since I speak absolutely no Spanish and English is not my first language, it may not be perfect.

I have not played entire game with it but it definitely loads and works fine.

Enjoy

From the first look, the map looks really nice. Great job Tomas Vicente.
Attachments
RRT_Scenario_User_spain.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:39 am

Thank you universum for the English version and thanks tomasvicente38 for taking the time to make the map and add more great maps for this game.

:D

martys55

Post by martys55 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:36 am

Yet another home made map that has brought me to my knees. My RR skills are ONLY tycoon levl in my mind! lol

enould

looks cool

Post by enould » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:36 pm

This map looks awesome!
Thanks again Tom

Regards

Enould

universum

Post by universum » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:56 am

I have finally managed to beat it on investor level with hard routing difficulty.

The first era is rather difficult: in 20 years you have to connect two rather distant cities and you have to transport 10 carloads of passengers from A to B and 10 carloads of passengers from C to D. This sounds easy enough until you realize that both B and D are villages and don't yet accept passengers. You have to GROW them to towns first. This takes time and you have to start as soon as possible. It took me several starts until I succeeded. Trick is to connect everything before you actually buy trains.

Second era presents another challenges: you have to transport 50 carloads of mail from three locations. Trick here is to grow some neighbouring village to accept mail so that train does not have to go too far.

There is one trick you have to figure out to succeed: This is that in Railroads!, available goods is :idea: ROUNDED UP :idea: . When town contains incomplete production, it will still fill one car in the train. You can tell that town has incomplete production when it is displaying 0 as number of specific item, this means that there is already one carload of goods available. If there is nothing, town does not show anything. You can also see how much of production is already complete in the train routing screen. If you don't specify train to wait till full, it will pick it up and go with it. So if you set up one or two trains moving stuff from one place to the nearby place, you can extract much more than the city actually produces. To put it simply, if it takes a minute to produce a single passenger, if you manage to get ten trains to enter the city during that time, each will pick up whatever portion of the passenger and rounded UP (=1), you end up with 10 passengers transported out of the city, if you manage more, you get more passengers. it is important to upgrade to Terminals as soon as you can afford it because it increases the revenue and speeds up loading and unloading.

Third era is not too difficult, you have to setup paralel line to transport enough oil. For goods, you can actually use the trick I have just described for mail.

Four era is, in some way, most difficult because you have to transport 3x200 carloads of passengers from Madrid. I have failed misserably several times until I realised that the only way to succeed is to keep picking up passengers from Madrid as quickly as possible. For that, I have established trianglular tracks so that I can force trains to go on one track in one direction and on other track back (you can see example on the screenshot, Zaragoza Grain Company is really only used as a kind of one way gate - see http://www.hookedforums.com/forwarder.h ... php?t=1259 for details, relevant screenshot is the one from SouthWest US scenario). I have planted at least 5 trains on each route, just two passenger cars each so that in case Madrid manages to grow more than one passenger, it will get picked up (When looking back it was probably unnecessary because for most parts, train had only one passenger car full. Then again, it did not cause any penalty because empty cars do not count in Railroads!). Also make sure you double parts of the track so that, for example, train in Madrid does not have to wait till the one ahead of it arrives to Barcelona but could get on the way as soon next segment of the track is cleared. You also need to start hauling passengers as soon as you can afford it because even with all these tricks, it takes its time (I started soon after 1850). Planning ahead is rather important on this map because you have to buy some industries or grow cities ahead of time, some times, like when you need Cadiz to accept automobiles, from village to metropolis.

Last tricky part is to setup AVE/TGV trains to achieve average speed of over 100 mph. Depending on how you built your previous tracks, you may need to delete them and build them again. Also make sure that each route has only one train running on it and that it has its own dedicated platform because if it has to wait for another train to depart, average speed goes down. Also you need to have only one train on each route. Actually you only need one train on a single route as long as other routes don't have any trains (unfortunately, it seems that no train counts as nothing, not as train with 0 speed).

Co be continued....
Attachments
Victory screen
Victory screen
Victory Screen.jpg (218.84 KiB) Viewed 17380 times
Rail network
Rail network
Rail Network.jpg (266.67 KiB) Viewed 17402 times
Achieving record speed
Achieving record speed
AVE near Madrid.jpg (418.34 KiB) Viewed 17402 times
Map offers same nice scenery.
Map offers same nice scenery.
Zaragoza Valley.jpg (480.27 KiB) Viewed 17425 times
Barcelona and nearby cities and industries.
Barcelona and nearby cities and industries.
Barcelona.jpg (533.58 KiB) Viewed 17430 times
Last edited by universum on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

universum

Post by universum » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

I hope I have given enough tips in the previous post to encourage everyone to try this map.

Now for the map itself, there are few not so good things about it:

The map only crashed once on me so I'd say it is pretty stable (spent long hours playing it over weekend).

I was experiencing frequent periods of game working hard on some calculations and either doing each game step every few secons (like very sloooow motion movie) and not responding very well. It frequently happened after I have either modified a train (added cars or upgraded the engine) or modified a track. I have also seen my harddrive led turn on (swapping) some times but most of the time, when it was temporarily "frozen", it was not accessing the disk at all (I have 1GB of memory, not always enough but reccomended system for the game). Both problems probably have a lot to do with the sheer size of the map.

Unlike the above which is almost certainly Firaxis fault, there were two other things: all rivers in the game are actually at see level which creates deep narrow canyons and game, picking the type of the bridge based on the maximum height rather than on the length, builds huge steel bridges across them which look rather ugly and you will get a lot of them in this map. Second (rather aesthetic) problem is that forests were "planted" using huge square brushes and it really shows in some places.

Terrain in some places could use a little bit more attention but all in all, this is a great looking and challenging map.

Good Job Tomas Vicente!
Attachments
Madrid and Aranjuez. Notice the huge bridges accross the river.
Madrid and Aranjuez. Notice the huge bridges accross the river.
Madrid.jpg (495.7 KiB) Viewed 17284 times
Bilbao
Bilbao
Bilbao.jpg (418.53 KiB) Viewed 17296 times
Sevilla
Sevilla
Sevilla.jpg (492.83 KiB) Viewed 17323 times
Valencia
Valencia
Valencia.jpg (440.46 KiB) Viewed 17357 times

martys55

Post by martys55 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. I knew someone would be able to beat ths. I have gotten as far as getting one of the two villages to accept passengers and the other started before I ran out of time.

Here's a question: when you pick up goods, say manufactured goods from a city and deviler them to the adjacent city which does NOT accept them, does the city that produced the goods get any "credit" for the delivery? I know it makes no money, but I've also noticed that a city grows faster when it's produced goods are picked up. It's like getting half credit I suppose. I tried this the last time I started this map and the first city seemed to grow faster than other attempts.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I KNOW once I get past the first stage the others will be a little easier. 20 years for the first stage seems a little rushed.

klemc

Post by klemc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 pm

I always CTD in the beginning of the second era (around 10 years into it)

Any ideas.

Regards.

edbangor

Post by edbangor » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:56 pm

THanks for the tips.
I've tried this map three times so far only on low difficutly though :oops:
and have yet to beat the first set of conditions although I've made all the others. I've been very, very close with 9 passangers on the Maoteo journey (other was complete) when the time ran out. (just like martys55 said above)

My tracks got a little messy, so had to do some deleting in order to get everything through but still.

Finally, this map is great!!!
It crashed once on my, late into the game, but that was probably my fault as I'd paused it and deleted a lot of track and trains, and then built a lot of others for the next set of achivements, which was probably too much for it to handle. I reloaded from the last auto save and did the improvements in stages, and everything was fine.

If I had one "complaint" it would be that everything takes place - more of less - on the right hand side of the map and, perhaps things could move to the left a little (yes I know that's Portugal but you get what I mean)

Anyway, can I just repeat - GREAT MAP!

atani

Post by atani » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:41 am

As part of my common installer work (http://www.hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic ... 4087#14087) attached is an installer which will install either the original spanish or english translated versions.
Attachments
Setup_Spain_1.0.zip
extract and run setup to install this scenario.
(351.06 KiB) Downloaded 917 times

universum

Post by universum » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:15 am

Here's a question: when you pick up goods, say manufactured goods from a city and deviler them to the adjacent city which does NOT accept them, does the city that produced the goods get any "credit" for the delivery? I know it makes no money, but I've also noticed that a city grows faster when it's produced goods are picked up. It's like getting half credit I suppose. I tried this the last time I started this map and the first city seemed to grow faster than other attempts.
I have done some scientific experiment :shock: along your suggestion.

Started Southwest scenario in Yuma. Tried three different things with following results:

1) Haul livestock from nearby stockyard. Yuma grows to next level in 1877 (27 years)
2) Haul livestock from nearby stockyard. Haul produced food to Blythe (did not want it). Yuma grows to next level in 1865 (15 years)
3) Haul passengers and mail to to Blythe (did not want it). Yuma grows to next level in 1924 (74 years).

Conclusion: place grows to next level if certain number of items is carried in or out. So transporting goods even when there is no demand although causing loss, can be useful if you need to grow the city faster. You get full credit for it but you loose money for train maintenance.

Neither transport affected Blythe in any way in the time of experiment.