Scenario Manager 1.1 Release

It's not a map? It's not a Train? Share and download the files here
d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:48 pm

snoopy55 wrote: Also, the scenario I mentioned above with my home city in it..... I went to show it to my brother and lo and behold, the city was named 'Un-named City'!!
I had this error too before, an un-named city relates to not even having a tag in the names file or vise versa, I can't remember so you may want to check there. Also when mine was unamed it was randomly placing it anywhere on each load so I think it was in the names file but the the city names. The City names is what controls its size and location.

Best bet for any name errors is check the city file with the names file. One small error in either tags will cause it to show wrong.

PaF-Daddy

Post by PaF-Daddy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:38 pm

Where is the 'city' info stored? (I can't seem to get rid of that 'Unkown City'!!)
usually in your NAMES_ENU.xml its located in X:\...\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets\Localization

just open it with your editor and try to look up your created City. If it is not there you have to create that TAG.

PS: If you are a german guy you have to take NAMES_DEU

Kindest Regards
PaF-Daddy

d53642

Post by d53642 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 am

I stuck mine into the custom assests folder in my documents. So I didn't have to edit the original one.

darklandz

Post by darklandz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:35 pm

When i startup scenario manager i get this error:
Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String path, String userPathOriginal, String searchPattern, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean includeDirs, SearchOption searchOption)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
at Railroads.ScenarioManager.Core.Manager.SearchCommonLocations(String file)
at Railroads.ScenarioManager.Core.Manager.LoadLocaleNames(ApplicationSettings settings)
at Railroads.ScenarioManager.Core.Manager.Load()
at Railroads.ScenarioManager.Program.Main()
Problem is that my folder is named different since i installed the game not to it's default location.

So instead of going to C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets

It needs to go to C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\My Games\Railroads\CustomAssets'.

Can you fix this ?

{USI}_Zombie

Post by {USI}_Zombie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:15 pm

I have figured a way to create a new custom city..placing it was a little challenge:
Can someone tell me what the map coordinates are? 0,0 seems to be in the middle, but what are the far corners?

Also I would like to create a custom industry, I can determine how to change the inputs and outputs of an industry, but how can I create a new industry name? I tried to edit the xml and got a lot of errors.
In the editor I added "fromagerie"(sp?) and changed the inputs to what I wanted, saved and reloaded with no issues..then tried to edit the name of the industry to "Corn Processing Plant" and it generated errors.
My idea.....corn to the corn proccessing plant and manufactured goods out, simulating corn syrup and or ethanol.
Is this possible? and if so how?

Thanks in advance

akmad

Post by akmad » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 pm

darklandz wrote:Problem is that my folder is named different since i installed the game not to it's default location.

So instead of going to C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets

It needs to go to C:\Documents and Settings\David\My Documents\My Games\Railroads\CustomAssets'.

Can you fix this ?
The 1.2 release fixes that issue. When the app starts up it will check to make sure it can get to the default My Games Railroads folder, if it cannot it'll ask you for your custom location (and save it so you only have to do that once).

Check out the new thread here

Wes

akmad

Post by akmad » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:06 pm

{USI}_Zombie wrote:I have figured a way to create a new custom city..placing it was a little challenge:
Can someone tell me what the map coordinates are? 0,0 seems to be in the middle, but what are the far corners?
Check out this thread for info on city coordinates however I'm not sure if the info here is totally correct.
{USI}_Zombie wrote: Also I would like to create a custom industry, I can determine how to change the inputs and outputs of an industry, but how can I create a new industry name? I tried to edit the xml and got a lot of errors.
In the editor I added "fromagerie"(sp?) and changed the inputs to what I wanted, saved and reloaded with no issues..then tried to edit the name of the industry to "Corn Processing Plant" and it generated errors.
My idea.....corn to the corn proccessing plant and manufactured goods out, simulating corn syrup and or ethanol.
I purposely didn't allow creating and changing the names of industries because I'm not sure how it can be done, along with the fact that doing so could mess up other scenarios. Industries are defined globally in the Assets\XML\RRT_Industries.xml file and then referenced in each scenario's industry file. The scenario industry file does allow you to change the resources used by the industry but the industry name must be defined in the global file.

Note that I expect I can work around these issues, it just hasn't been on the top of my list. Maybe something for the next version.

Wes

{USI}_Zombie

Post by {USI}_Zombie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:45 am

akmad wrote:
{USI}_Zombie wrote:I have figured a way to create a new custom city..placing it was a little challenge:
Check out this thread for info on city coordinates however I'm not sure if the info here is totally correct.
{USI}_Zombie wrote: Also I would like to create a custom industry, I can determine how to change the inputs and outputs of an industry, but how can I create a new industry name? I tried to edit the xml and got a lot of errors.
I purposely didn't allow creating and changing the names of industries because I'm not sure how it can be done, along with the fact that doing so could mess up other scenarios. Industries are defined globally in the Assets\XML\RRT_Industries.xml file and then referenced in each scenario's industry file. The scenario industry file does allow you to change the resources used by the industry but the industry name must be defined in the global file.

Note that I expect I can work around these issues, it just hasn't been on the top of my list. Maybe something for the next version.

Wes
K, I can work around that, just wondering thanks. The map coordinates in that thread you referenced may as well be in greek for all the sense they make to me, I'll just tinker and figure it out

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:10 am

{USI}_Zombie - OK, I messed with this a little and I think i can help you.
Draw a square about 4" x 4". Draw line down the center top to bottom and one left to right. Now, split those halves again. The center lines are '150. At the top, label 0 to the left and 300 to the right. On the side, 0 above and 300 below. The upper left corner is -150 and the lower right is 450. This will help you to 'roughly' find your points. On the Midwest map I took 3 tries to get St. Louis in the correct place. Added cities will be at the end of the RRT_Cities file in the scenario, and you can make the cahnges there for adjustments. Go back to the main menu and hit 'ALT+TAB', make your changes and go back into the game and check it out.

Good Luck
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

{USI}_Zombie

Post by {USI}_Zombie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:53 am

Thanks snoopy55, I will give that a try. Midwest is the scenerio I am working on too. I have added Peoria, St. Louis and Milwaukee, all through trial and error.
I put St Louis at -125/349 and it looks OK.

Something I haven't tried yet is:
If we put cities in the vast open areas of a map, will resources be generated near them? The NW and the extreme east of the midwest map are empty, so I am thinking of adding more cities. I know we can place resources anywhere, but I think maybe the game places resources "near" cities...something I will have to investigate.

Also...is there a way to increase the availability of resources? I need a lot of grain for my scenerio idea...and if only 1 or 2 farms show...all over by Pittsburg...it will make the scenerio difficult. I don't want to place a farm because it will be in the same place every game.
I know I am asking a lot of questions and I appreciate everyones help...I know we can as a group figure this all out.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:55 am

Good question.....try putting Madison Wisc in and see what happens. Or a town further north like Hurley Wisc/Ironwood Mich.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

{USI}_Zombie

Post by {USI}_Zombie » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:06 am

After some experimentation, I have determined the boundries of the cities for the US midwest scenerio, if not all.
I made all the city metropolis, and the whole city is within the map boundries.
(Note, the north city doesn't work well because of the water there)

Center: x225 y225
East: x425 y225
North: x225 y-125
Northeast: x425 y-125
Northwest: x-125 y-125
South: x225 y425
Southeast: x425 y425
Southwest x-125 y425
West x-125 y225

The map seems to place resources somewhat near the extremes, but not quite. The closest I have seen any resources to the outer edge cities is about 50 closer to the center...perhaps by design?

Hope this info helps, now to dig out a map of the region and figure out the cities that can be placed in the edges!

Lama

Post by Lama » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:30 am

{USI}_Zombie wrote:The map coordinates in that thread you referenced may as well be in greek for all the sense they make to me, I'll just tinker and figure it out
Let me summarize again the things that I found out for the Germany map:

Take a thumbnail of your map, resize it to 620x620, use this resized map to decide where you want your city to be, then do the calculations to translate pixel-coordinates to in-game city-coordinates.
The zero-point of our grid is at the point of x,y(160,160) PIXELS.
Therefore, you always want to subtract 160 from the pixel value of each coordinate point in order to get your city location.

Example:
On a 620x620 image of the map, I want to place a city at a certain point. That point has the PIXEL coordinates x,y(120,240).
Now I do the following calculation:
For x: 120-160=-40
For y: 240-160=80
Therefore, city coordinates are x,y(-40,80).
Finally, in the scenario editor, I enter -40 as the x value, and 80 as the y value.

I think this might be a labor-saving method, compared with guesswork.