Long Games Mod Idea

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
stratfordwill

Long Games Mod Idea

Post by stratfordwill » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:02 am

I'm one of the folks who thinks the games are generally too short. I do like the arcade feel of the short game, but I'd also like to be able to stretch it out. I got to playing with the XML files and ended up with a quick mod that was pretty fun.

I took all the trains and doubled their speeds. (I'm still fiddling with balancing some things.) What you do then is play on slow motion speed. The months pass slowly and the game lasts a long time.

Changing just the train speed probably throws all sorts of other things out of balance, though I didn't notice any unreasonable things. I was able to play an entertaining game for like six hours before I was forced to defensively buy out the last other player.

If you want a quick mod for longer games, give it a try.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:18 am

Definitely sounds promising. Upload it. :)

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:39 am

Yeah and call me a noob, but i haven't been able to figure out how to change the games speed other then pauseing it. I would LOVE to slow things down because I think the years melt by way to fast. I'm upgrading locomotives i've just built already!

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:14 am

A good way to slow money down is lower the prices for stuff and maint cost but keep the trains the same to upgrade.

One thing I tested out before is it doesn't matter what everyone has there files at in multiplayer, everything defaults to the host. I upped a train to do 470km/h hour once and my friend got it too. We were testing what would happen if someone edited their files to cheat.

Westley Roberts

Post by Westley Roberts » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Brad wrote:Yeah and call me a noob, but i haven't been able to figure out how to change the games speed other then pauseing it. I would LOVE to slow things down because I think the years melt by way to fast. I'm upgrading locomotives i've just built already!
May I bring your atention to the upper right corner of your game screen..

There are two buttons there, one looks like a <play> button, one looks like a <pause> button.

On the play button are three options, clicked sequentially:
<Normal Speed> ">"
<Double Speed> ">>"
< Half Speed > "|>"

Hope this helps your game...

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:33 pm

d53642 wrote:A good way to slow money down is lower the prices for stuff and maint cost but keep the trains the same to upgrade.

One thing I tested out before is it doesn't matter what everyone has there files at in multiplayer, everything defaults to the host. I upped a train to do 470km/h hour once and my friend got it too. We were testing what would happen if someone edited their files to cheat.
Does this mean I can use your maps in multi player?

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:48 pm

No the other person still needs the map. I have used them in multiplayer before but no one could join the room unless they had the map.

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Well his idea of makeing the trains run faster so i can run the clock at half speed and still have the trains go at normal speed sounds good to me. I don't usually mess with modifying my program so if I could get a step by step, PM if need be, on how i could do that. Suppose I should wait for the patch to make sure that doesn't screw anything up.

stratfordwill

Post by stratfordwill » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:10 pm

Go to your assets/xml folder, make a backup of the RRT_Trains.xml file. Edit this file. For each loco, modify the max speed, speed0, and power lines. As for what numbers to mod them too, I'm still tinkering. I have no idea yet how max_speed and speed0 interact, Power affects how quickly the speed drops off for more cars. You just have to fiddle until you get speeds that work in the right proportions.