Industry Facing

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Mantose

Industry Facing

Post by Mantose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 am

I modified a chemical plant ... changed name and goods. Everything seems fine in my industry xml .. I have the chemical plant and a power plant .. they are the only 2 that show up on my map ...

the problem is .. my chemical plant faces the same direction no matter what number I put in the xml and even when I use the terrian editor to change facing and then save industries .... when I load a game it faces the same direction ... no changes

any idea what the problem might be .. or , need more info?

Jancsika

Re: Industry Facing

Post by Jancsika » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 am

I presume that your map has a random setting. The AI decides how many industries will show up in the map and where. The numbers and locations will change at the whim of Mr. AI.

The buildings in the cities are really not anchored permanently. For example if you try to run a railroad track through the city you will see them jumping all over the place.
And as for rotating them: I’ve given up on it, as long as they function as they should.
I will check them out later the day and let you know if something can be done.

The on-site industries (mines etc.) can be rotated and the will stay put.
Jancsika

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:09 pm

So far what I have is a toxic waste industry I made from a chemical plant and the power plant. I dont have any other industry. I manually placed 1 toxic waste plant halfway between 2 manually placed cities.

I dont have anything set on random that I know of... and if the computer randomly sets the facing of a manually set industry why is it always facing the same direction?

I assume I am missing a setting somewhere...

Have you been able to set up an industry manually and made it face the directioin you want? IF I have time later I will play with it ssome more .. but its sort of a minor issue at the moment... I was thiking it might be an obvious oversight on my part and maybe it is a common mistake others have made.

I am using train table mode ... havnt tried single player since I dont have any scenario goals.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I manually placed 1 toxic waste plant halfway between 2 manually placed cities.
Then there is this command in the RRT_Industries_MAPNAME.xml files, for each type of industry:
<bInCity>0</bInCity>
0 = In city
1 = Not in city.

If you place an industry in the city, the city’s Railroad Station will take care of loading and unloading.
Outside the city you have to have an Annex, RRT_Depots.XML
You can not have it both ways in the same map. Also you are getting into the custom map territory.
Once you start to have custom annex’s for one industry you might to have an annex for all the on site industries, also the passenger stations in the RRT_Depots_MAPNAME.xml file.

I suggest that you read these instructions for making a SAM map.
http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =42&t=3378

Most all my maps are SAM-s. Once you learn them it is not that bad. :mrgreen:
Jancsika

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I am not having any trouble with loading or unloading or any of that ... so far ... but thanks for pointing that out , I may run into issues later and , I wouldnt know why.

My current issue is the facing of my industries ... I can rotate them and save them in my terrain map , but when I reload the map or play the map in traintable mode the industry will be facing the same generic way it was facing when I placed it , before I rotated it.

I even tried to add in the degrees in the xml file .. but same issue , it faces the same generic way as it does when you first place it on the map.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:29 pm

My current issue is the facing of my industries ... I can rotate them and save them in my terrain map , but when I reload the map or play the map in traintable mode the industry will be facing the same generic way it was facing when I placed it , before I rotated it.
You can rotate the cities and all the buildings (including the industries in the city) will rotate the same way. ( There is a built-in street grid in the cities ). But the on-site industries will snap back to the same generic way.
The exception is the fishery. There is XML line in the industry ( <bIsCoastal>0</bIsCoastal> ) that
allows the rotation. I wonder if it would work off the coast industries? You ought to give it a try.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:54 pm

( <bIsCoastal>1</bIsCoastal> )
It’s working. I only hope that it will not cause some unforeseen CTD.
Jancsika
Attachments
Rotate.jpg

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 pm

Nice .. thank you

I wonder why it doesnt work normally instead of having to do special work arounds.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:24 pm

It was likely a feature added to accommodate the fishery, then they never thought to expand it to everything else. Might also be an issue with save game size.

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:03 am

Another thing I have run into .. is the fscale doesnt seem to work ... I stole a building from greenmars and it is set to 1.5 scale ... no matter what I do I cant make it smaller.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:07 am

Check the spelling, or maybe there is an extra empty space. :)
If it is in the RRT_Industries.XML file, it should work.
<fScale>1.0</fScale>
Jancsika

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:34 am

Nope that is all set ... pretty much everything I do is a copy and paste from the main files. There shouldnt be a spelling errors .. but I do get some format errors ... but I am 99% sure I am doing this one right .. it just isnt working for me.