SMRI Crashing and Win 7

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
aglarang

SMRI Crashing and Win 7

Post by aglarang » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi everyone. I have recently reinstalled SMR on my new Win7 64 bit OS. Next Patch 1.1.0 was installed followed by a game start then SMR Intercontinental 1.01 installation.

During the installation of SMRI, it failed a few times writing various XML files. I restarted it each time and eventually it succeeded. This was not a behavior I remembered from my installations on my XP machine.

When I am playing the new maps, the game will inevitably crash. Sometimes 5 minutes in, sometimes 30. (These crashes did happen on my XP machine, but not as frequently.) I get no information on the crash to provide you with. If there are logs that are created, if someone can point me to them, I can provide them as well.

I uninstalled and am currently reinstalling with the official 1.1 patch and will leave it at that for now. I did search the forum for similar references, but the only thread I saw was off topic, so I thought I would start a new one.

In any case, if someone has advice on settings that could be causing the crash, or if this is new, I can help with some testing as well if this mod is still actively being developed.

Thanks for the mod and the help.

Edit: Well, I have read some more posts in other forums (that I did not think were related) and I found a post by Jancsika on the current state of SMRI and the current prevailing thought on loading maps individually. That should be a viable route for me, so Thanks for that, and sorry to waste your time with the post.

Warll

Re: SMRI Crashing and Win 7

Post by Warll » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:23 pm

[quoteThanks for that, and sorry to waste your time with the post.[/quote]

:lol: I deserve it.

Yeah the current "best practice" is to only play one map at a time. I got my friend to write up a program to help with this: http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/06/how-to ... ifter-exe/

That site also hosts maps.

PS: Where did you find SMRI? I thought I had updated every thing related directing users to smrsimple.

aglarang

Post by aglarang » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

WarII,
I found the map on Filefront (I think...at least it was one of the ubiquitous file downloading sites.)

In any case, the map I am playing in your mod as well as the map by itself is Stormfathers (sp??) America map. If it makes you feel any better, it is still crashing the game for me with a clean install, Patch 1.1 and just the map all on Win7 64 bit. So, it may not be your stuff at all, but maybe an interaction on win7 64 bit? Anyway, I am going to look for help on that now. :)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:47 pm

I am playing Windows 7 64 bit. It was difficult to get it running right, but now I can play Rodeas Borneo, a huge 24X24 map, without any problems.

Check on the games executive compatibility setting. I settled on XP service pack2, but it also worked on Vista service pack 2 compatibility.
You have to right click in the games starting icon and follow the instructions.
Jancsika
...and forget about SMRI. It is too old. Play individual maps. The same maps are available as SAM-s.
Right here in the map thread. http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=3389