Concerning the colors of trains

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
stormfather

Concerning the colors of trains

Post by stormfather » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:06 am

Every train I make is blue. That bums me out, sometimes. I mean, they look so cool in the roundhouse (except, of course, for the puke-green A1) but then I spend my hard earned cash on them and they show up in game with a fresh coat of blue paint. It's almost like false advertising.

I've been dabbling with reskinning lately and I realized that it wouldn't be too hard (just time consuming) to make a set of skins that lacked player colors and instead had static colors assigned to them. Were these skins named correctly, they would replace the standard skins and would be assigned as the default skin by the game. The standard skins could then be copied and insterted as _v2 (a little caution used here with some trains due to the livery pack), meaning that they'd be available, but would have to be chosen by the player.

Would anyone be interested in this?

Also, does anyone want to playtest my America 1.2 map? It's all done, and has been done for days, but there might be something I missed and I want to make sure it's 100% before I post it.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:11 am

Sure Stormfather, I'll playtest it and check it out for you. Email it to me.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:21 am

I would to but I have to wait for new graphics card to remove my old one just s*** itself and its easter here and no shops open grrrrr
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 am

Hey Hey I'm back to playing the game as I just installed my new graphics card and would be happy to play test for you.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:11 am

I would love to test it stormfather I will add my email address to my profile. :D

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:00 am

Email's giving me trouble, so I'll post this here.

This is my Manifest Destiny map, version 1.2.

This is a beta. Install it at your own peril, as this beta may interfere with other maps on your system (It does not use the Master XMLs yet; in fact if you don't back up your custom assets it might overwrite them!). The release version will be out as soon as I get some feedback on the beta, so if you don't know how to install maps or if you're looking for a fully playable finished product, wait a couple days and I'll have the complete version posted, hopefully with one of Atani's awesome installers. Everything you need to test the map is in this file except gp7.fpk, which can be found elsewhere on the site. You should be able to remove your entire custom assets folder to a safe location and drop this one in to test it, just remember to put your gp7.fpk in there as well. I would have included it but my internet connection is slow and it won't upload the combined file.

I tried to avoid changing the master files as much as possible; many of my additions aren't found in the master files, such as some of the industries and trains. I don't know if this is the best way to do it or not.

I reskinned the mountains that mines sit on, the gold mine looks a little funny when it appears in a grassy area but looks great in the desert. I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not.

Machinery is sort of a poor man's automobiles. Machinery is worth less than autos, but will be in higher demand, since cities and metros need it, not just metros. However, I think the inclusion of Machinery is a little much, it might be making things too complicated with so many choices for your steel. It's really aimed at my as of yet unreleased German Empire map and my semi-scrapped New York State map. I can't make up my mind whether I should delete it or keep it in Manifest Destiny.

On my rig, the game really slows down if you play all the eras from start to finish. Then again, my PC is a few years old so I don't know if it's my map or my game.

I think I got a little over-ambitious and added too much. I've got half a mind to cut out all the new stuff (new era, new train, new skins, new cars, new goods, etc) and just keep it as it was in 1.1, plus mexico and canada. I sort of liked the 'less is more' approach and this new map seems overdone to me. But then again, maybe it's me. Let me know what you think. Anyway, thanks for checking this map out for me, let me know what you think and what you think should be changed or deleted.
Last edited by stormfather on Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:02 am

Thanks stormfather

I am going to wait till you are a little bit further on as it looks if you need a fpk file or to add the extra Goods and Industries to other folders and at this stage I can wait. I don't want to shift or alter my custom assets folder as we know how temperamental this game is.. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)