The bottleneck when laying track?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
gforce

The bottleneck when laying track?

Post by gforce » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Alot of people are complaining about performance.
This occure especially when laying a track.
In my map, it works fine, till a certain point,
and now it could take 30sec and more depending on the lenght of the new track.
Do we have an idea where exactly this problem will occure,
i mean, fe after a total track lenght of 1000 miles fe,
or after 30 depots or after 100 years or after 20 trains or something.
There you don't have my map to play with,
i can maybe reference to the superbowl map,
there i had also the problem after some time, lenght of track or something.
For those of you that do have a much better system, more RAM will be probably a help here (i've got 750Mb). Do you also have problems at the end of superbowl? or isn't there a problem for you guys?
:arrow: please let us know or discuss a little bit about that (in this post),
so that new map-makers could have somewhere a guidline or idea about that, this could help on deciding the mapsize, number of sources, or even amount of trains, or goods generated etc...

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 pm

From what Iread in your post it sounds as if you want to know if theres a hard start date for this. I highly doubt that there is and I would be inclined to think that its more based off of how powerful your computer is.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:57 pm

One place I really notice it is when I buy -out an AI who has a lot ot trackage. Suddenly my track laying slows down. It seems like the game has to examine all of the track you have. When you ~ double your trackage with a Merge it seems to have more trackage to check over to see if it will allow you to continue. I know that's not what it's doing, but that's the appearance.

Set up to lay a track of a set length and have a switch at one end. After a large merge, go back and lay a second track of the same length and compare the time difference.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:32 am

Have to add I think its a PC issue and maybe a memory leak in the game etc.

Start of any game I can run double track etc and lay a track from side to the other (cheating having lots of $$$) and fraps say anout 35 - 38 but later on in the game fraps slows down to 1 and you wait up to a minute for the track laying to get done.

Someone said as the game grows the game checks all the track layout so more tracks later on the slower this becomes.

Prob need to compare some PC specs etc and I know:

Can someone build a time demo map like Quake DOOM etc just to test various options like Frames Per second, what it takes to load a track from place to the other and then we can compare each persons specs.

Basically a standard test map.

Could be used for map makers to test laying tracks and bridges etc, just a thought.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5