Help Me Get it Right

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Slappy Da Clown

Help Me Get it Right

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:01 pm

Ok guys

Heres where I am. Ive tried to follow all the stuff in the various threads to no avail. I can play all the maps I have except santa & chicago to the rockies. The tender mod works fine.

What propose is to uninstall the game & reinstall it. Then if you guys would I would like you to instruct me on the way to put the various mods in, in a way that would make them all work ( at least the ones that are known to work ). I need step by step instructions & I would prefer if at all possible to not have to edit xml files. You could consider this a test case for an instruction guide I reckon.

Here is a list of the files I have downloaded & a list of the maps now on my machine. I have them all in a file ready to use.

Files
Patch 1.10 Tender Mod Master XML 1st_3-XML
2nd_3_XML 3FPK Choobacca Pack Revamped Santa
XML Superbowl X in scenarios

Please advise if I need any others

Maps ( all these except CHI to ROK & SANTA & superbowl X play fine now )

UK Large Spain
Scrooge1_3 Random
Orient X Ontario
LM2 Lamas Germany
Hill Valley Germany dlx
Florida Test Flagglers Florida
East Ontario Dog World
Demo BC Gold
Mid East Australia
America

So guys what do yas think ? Can you help me out here ? I downloaded something called Exchanger XML lite if you insist I gotta edit files. If something else is needed please let me know.

I would like to say thanx again to all for your help so far & to come I hope

from out behind the elephants tent
Slappy Da Clown

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:23 pm

A new tutorial for reinstallers would be nice. I've been away from the game for about three weeks and now I find I'm confused by all the new developments. I'm also planning an uninstall/reinstall. I plan to wipe the whole game, addons included.

I'd love to know the, ummm, 'new way' to install and where XML's should go, along with which edits to XML's are important, etc.
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

Iroc-SS

Post by Iroc-SS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:24 pm

Fear not my fellow Railroaders. 2 maybe 3 people are working on it now as we speak. It will be in a new thread. They have only been working on it for 2 days now, so my thinking is we should know more by no later than Sunday. I myself have had problems but I got it smoothed out so far. What I need to do now is to learn how to create a map.

As a start for both of you go here:

http://www.hookedforums.com/forwarder.h ... php?t=1268

Page # 5, 14th post down. It's from choobacca to me and DaneCookie. And do those steps. That helped me out. I also created a new folder in My Documents called Original SMR Files to place the files I'm getting ready to change. So that way if I have a CTD problem I can replace 1 file at a time with the original file until it starts working again.

Hope this helps.
Yes, Virginia, there is a Peyton Manning.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Hey guys, if you want to link to a specific comment just hover your mouse over the llittle piece of paper next to the Posted: date/time and copy that link (right-click Copy Shortcut / Copy Link Location)

Imagewww.hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=13314#13314

DF

Iroc-SS

Post by Iroc-SS » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:18 am

Dr Frag wrote:Hey guys, if you want to link to a specific comment just hover your mouse over the llittle piece of paper next to the Posted: date/time and copy that link (right-click Copy Shortcut / Copy Link Location)

Imagewww.hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=13314#13314

DF
Well I'll be.... I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Thanks, I did not know that.
Yes, Virginia, there is a Peyton Manning.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:02 am

The thread is posted in Railroads! Technical Issues and is called Global XML Instructions. Please look it over and let me know if there is any problem with it.

Slappy - all you need is Wordpad to do it. The other programs are for checking out XMLs made from scratch and to put the indents in them which only make them easier to read for some. All you need is 2 Wordpad windows open and your mouse.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:46 pm

I strongly suggest NOT using Wordpad. It has a habit of inserting RTF codes in your files and since Notepad++ is free would highly recommend that instead.

Nothing personal snoopy but I just don't want anyone to get burned by this.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:23 pm

No offense taken Dr. I have a nasty habit of editing with it, not creating, so it has only saved in XML for me. Slappy seems to have problems with computers (no offense meant there) and Notepad++ does have a nasty looking page talking about different kinds of ways to download it and add-ons and such. I guessed and so far (2 tests) it works for me. You might want to give instructions for him and me and others how to get it and what all to get. I did notice an add-ons for XMLs. Do I need it? Also, is there a way to make all XMLs open with that program?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:43 pm

Yeah, the download page is pretty full of stuff but if you've never installed Notepad++ before it's as simple as downloading the first link for the executable files and choosing the installer package when you get sent over to Sourceforge.

The XML capability is already there but if you want syntax checking and stuff grab the XML Tools v1.1.3 link and extract that into the Notepad++\plugins folder.

To double-click XMLs into Notepad++:
Right-Click on any .xml file and choose Open With-->Choose Program...
Use the Browse... button to find the notepad++.exe file (possibly in C:\Program Files\Notepad++), select it and click Open.
Check the box: Always use the selected program . . .
Click OK
It should open your file in Notepad++, and whenever you double-click .xml files from now on.

DF

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:13 pm

Ok hi kids. :wink:

I'm ready to reinstall SMR. So, can someone tell me the 'new' and best way?
Where do things go and what do I need? I've been away for a while and all the new ideas and XML's etc., are giving me readers cramp and headaches. I've got so many windows open to forum threads, I'm lost.

I think the Wiki and all of us need to know how to restart, if we need too.

Thanks

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi zz,

I'm a bit confused myself, but that comes with age..

In fact as I'm writing this I forgot what I did..

The one thing I do remember is I put all my custom maps in "My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_"

and all the custom .fpk files in "H:\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets"

I have to drive one of my kids to school, so I'll be back in a bit and try to give you an answer on the XML files..

Try this in the mean time. It's basicly what I did http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 3492#13492

Ken
Last edited by Kenster on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Oops...
I clicked the wrong tab :oops:

Slappy Da Clown

how to do it

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:08 am

Hey guys

See the thread that starts here
http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=13492#13492

It will be very helpful.

Over here just out of sight
Slappy Da Clown

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:12 am

Thx Ken, Slappy. I printed that reference thread and I'll try to follow along while moving my lips. :wink:
I was wondering if there were any new things not mentioned?