Thank you

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
martys55

Thank you

Post by martys55 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:28 am

I'm new here and like many others, I found this site searching for maps and mods for Railroads! I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time (and has the talent) to create and share so many great maps with the rest of us. THANK YOU!!! My skill at map and scenario making is THE WORST. If it weren't for fans like you, this game would be no where near as fun.

Even tough I've had a computer since the C64 days I still get a little lost when it comes to what files go in what directory. I (as I'm sure others like me) would find it VERY helpful if the creator of a map or mod would include a "read me" file explaining where to copy it too. I'm like a little kid at Christmas when I upload a new map, but sadly, I can only get about half to actually work. I think it's because I put them in the wrong place.

Besides the big thank you, I do have a question. Does anyone know of a freeware program that I can download to open .rar files? The only one I found was shareware and will shut off after 5 uses.

Thanks again all for making this game so great. :D

Jimmylh

Post by Jimmylh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:33 am

I use 7-zip. It's free and will undo .rar and .zip
Jimmy

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:37 am

~martys55 Welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the kind words.

If you are having trouble with any map just post your problems on the thread were you got the map and you should get some help from from the guy that made the map and from others.

You're right about the community keeping SMR going. :wink:

I included a readme in New England and I suggested two places were you can place the map. Most maps as far as I know will work from either directory.
Beware.. some of the custom maps are a little more taxing on your system than the stock maps and may cause the occasional CTD. Try to close down anything you can thats running in the background before playing. :wink:

Enjoy
Ken

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 am

Kenster is right there as to shutting down things. One person reports trouble running maps till his printer went bad and he took the software off. When he reloaded the software later, the maps stopped working. I've found NERO had a program running asking me if I wanted to burn every video I opened. Run Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy. They're both free and clean out your machine well.

And as Kenster said, Ask, Ask, Ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

And people, martys55 shows just what I've been saying all along, not everyone knows what to do with this stuff. No offense at you marty55.

And Welcome to the forum :D
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Slappy Da Clown

Thanx

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:02 am

Just wanted to add my Thanx to you all for the maps & the help. It makes a fun game even more fun.

Ill be in the club car

Slappy Da Clown

martys55

Post by martys55 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:28 am

Thanks for the welcomes and info on the .rar decompression. Maybe one day I'll be able to contribute a map or scenario too?!

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:20 am

I’d like to say Thank You to all who have contributed here at “Hooked on Railroads!â€

klemc

Post by klemc » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:41 pm

I'm with martys55!!

Keep up the good work and keep us entertained 8)

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:49 pm

I want to say thank you too! You guys are great! Wish Firaxis qas doing as good. Hope to see many more! :)