A pile of requests and questions!

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 pm

gforce, I'm not sure I follow what you want to do with your map, but I'll take a look when done - that should make it clear.

You say industries can't have two outputs, but the Sheep Farm does. Do you mean in-city industries can't? I never tested that.

Cool deal on figuring out the way to position industries, to make them show up. Are you able to control where they appear on the map? (Aside from sayng that different sizes of cities, need particular goods.)

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:28 am

yes, i'm talking about in-city-industries

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:46 am

:!: Small tutorial on icons:
- unpack icons from interface0.fpk (program fe dragonunpacker 5)
- addapt the icons (in case of goods you've got sizes 16-32-64)
(in case of industries 32 (and maybe also 64))
- put those files in the custom assets dir
- and reference to the icon_name_size.tga in your xmls
(be carefull: use a photo-program capable working with channels, otherwise your icons will not be round-shaped and have a brown background)
- ps: yes, before releasing the scenario, it will be best to pack all those file in a fpk file (same for traincars, trains, icons, industries, etc...)

ps: i'm always working in window-mode of the game, so i can easily jump to xml-files, map-files etc...
BUT my icons didn't work at all, after a full restart of the game, it did (it's the only case i noticed this is necessary, for xmls no problem just restart the scenario by going back to the main-menu)

gforce

Post by gforce » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:23 am

WHY?
In the year 1919 June, i've got a ctd...
Anyone an idea what could happen always exactly at a certain time.
It's not the end of a era... ??? an event??? a train (but those are probably at january)???
i did also a delete of all my trains (a saved game at 1918), so there's no goods or industrie- or city-growth problem...
i don't know???
:?

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am

OK! :)
Here's the answer (as i see it, or managed it),
I've made a local events-file,
this event file is only referencing to those goods (i didn't added (yet) my new goods) that are available in the map, so no steel, if you don't have steel!!! (cfr. crash at certain date, because there was an event comming up)
now i don't have anymore any crash!!!!

(it's logic, but a little surprising 2 me), there alot of maps just use the default events file... (maybe i had the problem because of new goods)

anyway, no local eventsfile? You should have 1...
:wink:

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:38 am

Hi guys -

I've got a lot going on in my life. Not bad things - other games, and social things. I don't think I'll make it back to Railroads! I loved the game - loved all the RRT games - but. C'est la vie.

If I get a chance to take out all the statements about RK spearheading the wiki, I will - it looks like it's got momentum, which is all any wiki needs. Can someone else take them out?

It's been a great and lovely game, and a distinct pleasure to meet each and every one of you. Perhaps I'll make it back some day, but if you assume I won't, you've bet well.

Hugs? - RK

atani

Post by atani » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:46 am

RedKnight wrote:I've got a lot going on in my life. Not bad things - other games, and social things. I don't think I'll make it back to Railroads! I loved the game - loved all the RRT games - but. C'est la vie.
Sorry to see you are leaving us... Just when things are starting to pick up some too!

In any case, enjoy real life... We will still be here if you decide to return!

Mike

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:26 am

Thank you very much for for posting your good bye letter. To many times I'v seen a main player in a forum just op and leave without telling any one. Its nice to be able to say good bye.

Edit: Thank you for your work on the wiki.

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:00 am

Warll wrote:Thank you very much for for posting your good bye letter. To many times I'v seen a main player in a forum just op and leave without telling any one. Its nice to be able to say good bye.
Thanks Atani and WarII, and all the other good folks here. It's nothing personal and it's nothing bad going on with me... this is a great place... it's more like, so many games, and so much to do at work and home, that I'm heading on.

FWIW, as I see it, I got to a point of having a handle on the main economic things. (For solo play. And I'm not saying I'm the only one who did - just that it got to a point where I thought I knew enough.) So there weren't any big questions left, although there are a thousand more details to work out. I'm sorry I left a bunch of "to be continued" statements. But I left a ton of priceless basic info, I'd like to think. (Which others can verify and flesh out, in the future! A wiki is meant to always grow, change, and improve.)

As I said somewhere on the forum, I like to play vs. the AI (not humans) since they are static. And once I've figured them out, I tend to lose interest. Too many variables to figure out humans! Lol. Although some games, like X-COM, continue to interest me. (I am MikeTheRed on its wiki, and still active there.) X-COM, probably because it was both very cool at its point in time (including impact on me), and is easy to figure out in hindsight.

Anyway. Thanks for the kind words, friends! Keep on railroading! - RK

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:17 am

D'oH :(
Sorry to see you go but you have to do what's right for your life. Enjoy it, it's the only one you get. Thanks for all your excellent work and for getting me started in the Wiki. I will do my best to continue work on it as I learn things and no worries about references to your 'spearheading', I'll clean them out as I come across them.

DF

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:06 am

Maybe we should think about rewording references instead of removing them. After all RedKnight did do a lot for the wiki and it would be sad to see his name lost forever in wiki history.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:45 am

Warll is correct there, I was going into the map making and got hung up on the program and......who do you ask???? I left a message here on the forum and Dr Frag answered the call.

Sorry to see you go :cry: , you were alot of help, and your work will continue to be of help to others :D
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:05 am

Sad to see you go, RedKnight, my scenarios gained much from the research you published, and we will continue to benefit. :idea:
Last edited by karsten on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

gforce

Post by gforce » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:19 am

Most of my questions were answered in this post,
most of my motivation was given by redknight,
always enthousiast when i found something or tested something,
i'll miss that... :cry:
shall we take an example of this (him),
and share information and motivation... :wink:

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sat May 05, 2007 6:21 am

Hi folks,

Due to a question by Oddible (check wiki page history), I felt compelled to fill in some of all the stuff I left unsaid, here.

Is any of this General Strat page new to you old hands? I never know if the thoughts I see in a vacuum are common knowledge, or have holes I never saw. Especially since I don't do mp.

RK

P.S. Great to see you folks!