Global XML Instructions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Slappy Da Clown

map played

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:40 am

Hey Snoop

Just a note to let you know I have played the America Transcontinental to a finish. Its plays as well as it did before I started the reinstall, so maybe you dont have to test this one. One this I did notice this time & before the reinstall is one of the victory conditions is cattle to Chicago & you can buy a stockyard & carry them there & make food. But no cattle are ever carried according to the victory screen. This does not seem to effect play except the victory condition. Will try the Liverpool & manchester map tommorow.

YOU DA BIG DOG SNOOP
Slappy Da Clown

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:59 am

Go to the America map download, stormfather just made some updates and that was one of them.

Thanks, that was my next one to test :D

Alaska works fine with Globals.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:27 pm

Snoop...........I hope I haven't confused you.
I originally tried your fixes and got all messed up.

After 3 reinstalls, Santa finally worked.
I haven't done any fooling around with fixes.
With my original virgin installation, (No mods) Germany Deluxe and Great Britain Large worked fine.
Now.......Still with a clean installation, (no mods) those 2 scenerios and all other add on scenerios just dump to desktop.
Nothing to do with your mods.

Pete
Last edited by Pete on Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willie g

Post by willie g » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Snoop - you're files and instructions are clearing away alot of the cobwebs from this process. Everything you've spelled out and I've tried has worked...
(I've got a question, but I'll put in in a separate thread).
thanks again,
-willie g

Slappy Da Clown

2 more work

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:13 am

Played Orient Ex & Liverpool & Manchester to a finish. No problems.

Slappy

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 am

Pete - no, I'm not confused. What you might want to look at is what files are in the map folders of what you are downloading. If any XML files are in there without the map name, most of the time it matches the TGA file, then let me know here and I'll get the problem solved. Slappy is also checking out maps.

Slappy - by the way, you are doing fresh downloads when you do this I hope. Otherwise they may already be doctored. I keep a folder calld Opened Maps and one called Unopened maps. Of course, when I open it, I move it. After I work on it, I ZIP it and put it in Opened Maps in a folder with the Mappers name on it. :roll:

Slappy Da Clown

testing

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Yeppers

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Well Snoop.......I've had it.
Gonna pack this game in.

In answer to your question, look at BC Gold.
It has all the files named properly. That map worked fine for me before. Won't load now.
It seems every time I reinstall the game, it acts differently.

I'm packing it in.
I see what you guys are going through to make it work, but unless Fraxis gives us a clue as to whats up.............they were helpful in the beginning,
I'm writing the money off.

Thanks everyone for your maps.
When they used to load.......they were great.

Thanks to all for trying to help me get this thing going.
Good luck.

Pete

Slappy Da Clown

some more tests

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Hey Snoop

Played Italy & UK Large map to a finish, both played well no probs. I think you should take the 1st post on this subject & all the files that go with it & make a sticky called Custom map starter or something like that. Although I think all the XML editing of the files should already be done as not everyone will be comfortable doing this. Since you fixed those files for me I have had no probs & I think you could easily make this an instructional deal.

Pete
Dont give up dude. I thought same thing but with a little work on my part & some gr8 help from Snoopy & choobacca its all workin out now. I keep readin your posts & thinkin you got a bad install. I would uninstall & clean up some stuff before the reinstall. Run disk clean up. Run a good registry cleaner ( I use reg scrub ). Delete all files & folders that the program left afer uninstall ( download new files from here as your ready so as to have the latest updates ). Ask on here at the slightest hint of problem these guys are gr8 help.

Snoopy if you let me know what maps you need tested I will be glad to help.

Im the guy with the rainbow colored wig
Slappy Da Clown

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:28 pm

Slappy - new thing to watch for, before you go to check a map, look to see if there are any XMLs in it that are not named after the map. Example, Germany Standard. Paf-Daddy created 4 new charactors to that XML, but the file name wasn't changed. If this is done again in a different map there could be problems. No offense meant toward Paf-Daddy. This can be dealt with in one of two ways, either change the XML name and make a change in the scenario XML, or remove the charactor XML and create a Global XML for it. Global might be better as I've played with charactors also and I'm sure others have or will. Then again, the rename might be better as it is easier to create your own 4 rather than search for what you want in a global. If I can get a few to agree, I'll add that to the Global XML Mappers Instructions.

I'll start listing the checked maps as you suggested. The changed maps will have to go thru the creaters.

Slappy Da Clown

tested maps

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:37 pm

The following list of maps have all been played to a finish by me at least once. All have been put on after a complete reintall & followning the directions in the 1st post of this thread ( & a bit of help from Snoopy ).

Alaska
America Transcontinental
Chicago to the Rockies
Demo Map
Italia
Lamas Germany
Liverpool to Manchester V2
New England
Orient Express
Random Map
Santa
Super Bowl Express
UK Large
Scrooge 1.3

The following maps do not work
Wisconsin V 1.0
Germany Deluxe
Hill Valley Steaks
Please remember I dont say these maps dont work but that something ( XML file or files ) needs work. Its my humble opinion that all maps submitted should contain the correct files ( If global files need editing this should be done by the map maker ) & clear instructions as to where each file in the map belongs. I say this because makers should remember that like dancing editing XML files may not be thought of as fun or easy by all of us who really would like to play your maps.

In an effort to assist here is the structure of my Custom Assests folder as laid out in the 1st post of this thread.
Custom Assests contains the folders put there by the game & the files
NewTenders.FPK
SDSmods.FPK
SuperBowlExpress.FPK

The XML Folder contains
The Scenarios & Audio Folders & the files
RRT_Depots
RRT_Goods
RRT_Industries
RRT_TrainCars
RRT_Trains

The Scenarios folder contains all maps that work listed above & I have no maps in User Maps

I hope this is helpful to someone or at least not bothersome.

From Michigans Upper Peninsula in THE GREAT WHITE NORTH
Slappy Da Clown

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:28 am

Slappy - got the Hill Valley Steaks reworked. It was created b4 the Global XMLs so I had to remove 3 XML files. I played it thru and took over all 3 AIs by 2017 using only passenger and mail with the exception of those trains I took over.

Slappy Da Clown

Hill Valley

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Played it to a finsh Snoop

Nice map. Would be gr8 with more stuff & a good scenario.

I put the new Spain map on but have not played it. Did play the new Australia map works good. Have noticed though on Spain, Australia, & Super Bowl the mountains are extremely high & the land is very high near any water. What causes this ?

From down here with the dust bunnies
Slappy Da Clown

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

slappy,
the maps of spain fe are made by using dem-data (satalite photos),
there are already alot of posts about this, fe changing the brightness (darker) will get your land lower, blur on those mountains will get them less steep etc...
or try to edit the map with terrain editor, it's easy to change... :wink:
(so it's not only in your setup, the map is like that, it's a pitty, i've replaced the spain-map by my own version using micro-dem, the result is much better...

Slappy Da Clown

the spain map

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm

thanx gforce

I was really posting though in the hopes that the map maker would fix it, but its nice to know its not my machine. The point of this thread was to get a set way to upload maps so that all ( including those who dont want to edit maps ) could easily put them in the game & play them In my opinion map makers shouldnt put out maps that have files in them that need editing by the players. Not that my opinion means anything its just what I think.

From outback by the dumpster
Slappy Da Clown