Bigger versions of the game's original USA maps

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Bigger versions of the game's original USA maps

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:06 am

Has anyone made bigger versions of the game's USA maps? I don't like the original sizes, they're too small and there's no sense of distance, which there should be, the USA is a huge country!
Mobo: GA-P35-S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
GPU: ATI X1950XT 256Mb DDR3
RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
Sound: Audigy 4

Lowell

Re: Bigger versions of the game's original USA maps

Post by Lowell » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I took a couple of them and made them a 15 x 15. It is easy enough to resize them. Let me know which one and I can make you up a map and set of new blank files for it...let me know what size...15x15 20x20 etc. Below is a pic of the one in game that I made 16x16...plus I major edited the landscape in the editor and made it better. I think there were two USA maps in the game maybe three if you want the Michigan map.
Attachments
map_Mud_Skippers_16_thumbnail.png

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. If you could make a 15x15 and 20x20 of one of the US maps, the one with Washington and Baltimore (Northwest?) in it, so I can try the two map sizes?

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Umm, just scaling up the maps is not going to be enough. Scaling up the map will change the co ordinates of everything on it, your going to have to edit them as well...

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:24 am

That's why I don't know how to do it myself, I tried merely changing the size of the map in the XML file, but all that got me was a map filled with the sea (!)

Edit: I'd be interested in larger versions of all the game's original maps, if people have made them.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:25 am

Nah...it doesn't change anything around as to the co ordinates...as these maps will have nothing but trees, any decorations or objects will be scrubbed off first. I just said I have done several and they run great...Mud Skippers (plug) :) is being beta tested right now...the new set of files will be out by this weekend. It was a 10x10 sized map...now it is a 16x16 sized map. Now...I did some landscaping while I was in the editor, but it is basically the same game map just much larger.

I will make you three of them...one for each of the US maps as I believe there is three...if four I will convert four. Then you will have the set. I was even thinking of this idea maybe Snoopy55 could start a thread where we could place "blank" maps and info on their sizes, people could pick a blank ready made map with a default named set of scenario files for them, simply change the names of the scenario files to fit your needs and so on...even the Florida gold map blank...I have many.

Sure...I'll get right on it asap and post the maps and files here...easy stuff. I may even have a couple done already I'll start digging.

EDIT// June 27

Okay...the game has four US maps one for France one for Germany and one last one for Great Britain. I have made the first two US maps and will make the others. I will start with size 15 and 20 for two sizes on each map. I set all the xml files up for a good start, taking out the tendercars etc. so the maps are ready to add stuff to. One city default, lumber is the only industry listed...a good start point.

I have the first couple started the other maps and sizes will be attached here...

I think I can only attach five files at a time the map images being counted as one as well. So I may have to double post to get them all listed. Each map has three attachments
Attachments
US Northeast image
US Northeast image
US_Northeast_15_and_20.rar
This file has both the 15 and 20 sized scenario and map files.
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 532 times
map_US_Northwest_15_thumbnail.png
US_Northwest_20.rar
US Northwest size 20 scenario and map files
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 579 times
US_Northwest_15.rar
Scenario and map files for US Northwest size 15
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 473 times

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:37 pm

Well I hope you excuse my double post, but I can only attach five files per post. So this will continue the post above.
Each set of maps has the map folder with all the files needed to get started and...the RRT_Scenario_mapname.SMR_scenario file needed for the editor.
Simply place both the map folder and the SMR_scenario file inside usermaps. Rename as needed.

I have zipped up the scenario and map folders in their own rar...then I zipped the 15 and 20 rars into one more rar so with the one download you will have both sizes...saves on attachments too. Rename the files as you wish...remember if you change the scenario files name, to get back into the editor you need to rename the rrt_scenario_mapname.SMR_scenario file name..."and" open it up in notepad++ and change the line to read your maps name...then the editor will open it up with your renamed files and map name. It will look like this inside...
#nulnulnulRRT_Scenario_User_US_Midwest_20.xml

Here is the Midwest map with Michigan liked I talked about on previous posts. I will do the other US map real quick.

Did I read you right? You want the other game maps done as well. There are eight multiplayer maps other than the France, Great Britain and Germany. I might add that I wouldn't mind editing the landscapes if you need. I cut through some mountian sides to make way for track on some maps, or move/remove hills that might be in the way etc. Add new trees and so on. Can also make other size changes as well...16x16 18x18 14x14.

Each map has been tested both in the editor and the game mode...you need to add more cities and whatever you wish to the maps in the editor. I have placed only one city on each map, that's enough to turn the map on for in-game looking.
Attachments
US Southwest image
US Southwest image
US_Southwest_15_and_20_map_set.rar
Here are the map and scenario files for the Southwest game map...sizes 15 and 20...the twenty sized map is awesome...
(2.91 MiB) Downloaded 458 times
Midwest map image
Midwest map image
US_Midwest_15_and_20_map_set.rar
Here are the map and scenario files for the Midwest game map...sizes 15 and 20
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 510 times
Last edited by Lowell on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Are these stand alone maps Lowell?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:02 am

I suggest that you all want to look at the Wiki. There is a detailed instruction there.
This is the Wiki title:
Customizing the Game
Jancsika

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:52 am

Dwax wrote: Are these stand alone maps Lowell?
Jancsika wrote:I suggest that you all want to look at the Wiki. There is a detailed instruction there.
This is the Wiki title:
Customizing the Game
Jancsika
These are start maps for map makers...they are blank maps...you need to fill in what industries you need, then erase what goods you don't use, remove trains and or train cars if needed. Add cities to the maps in the editor...industries too. You have to edit the xml lists provided...this is only the beginning stage of building a new map/scenario. I will also be glad to assist placing cities/industries if you need.

Now...if the intent was to recreate the games scenarios but just make the maps larger...I could whip one up with the same cities and scenario goals, then you edit the numbers. But the cities will have to be placed by hand in the editor. Industries too, except for "auto-placement" by the game.