Utah and BNR Trains...

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
packtloss

Utah and BNR Trains...

Post by packtloss » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Ok ok, im sure this topic has been flogged to death, but i just cant make it work right. Might someone be so kind as to zip their version of utah with bnr trains?

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 pm

wrong area, should be posted in Railroads! Technical Issues.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 pm

The basin and range engines are set to pull bnsf type cars. you can change that by adding the engines to your maps train list, then change the bnsf to say v2 or...your own set type cars if you have one. They can also be left pulling the bnsf cars, but I think all the games goods are not covered by the bnsf cars, so you may have to change them to car type v2.

But has anyone done that to their Utah map? I think not. Mostly because...Basin and range doesn't have version one trains, and...some of the cars are version 2 only. So you would have to change the start date on the scenario and that would of course break the Utah scenario.

EDIT//...sorry...just in case you don't know what I mean...
Version One trains are early steam.
Version Two trains are the modern engines.
All goods have version One and version Two type cars. The version One cars are a tad smaller in scale. The game gets pretty picky about the scenario's dates of operation and which version engine runs on the tracks at any given time.
Basin and Range...a great map...is a version 2 map and all the trains and cars are version 2. Utah...is mostly a version One map.

It can be done, but it would take much time to rework everything, unless you just play it in traintable mode.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 am

From my testing, and no, I haven't tested them all, v2 starts in 1900. I would imagine that all the v2s' kick in at the same time. If you have a v1 running when the change happens, it stays on the train till you delete and reset them.

As to your request, do you want all B&R trains. And, are you talking about engines only? If that is the case, they can be added to the Utah fleet, but as Lowell points out, the date would be a problem. Let us know just what you want.....
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:14 am

Each engine has a v1, v2, or tgv flag in the trains.xml. So, if you buy a 4.4.0 American in 1995, it's going to have v1 cars, and if you bought a Fseries in 1830, it would have v2. However, the year 1900 is correct; the consolidation is the last (american) thain to have v1s, and the pacific (1900) is the first with v2.

tgv flag uses the tgv passenger and mail cars, if you try to put any other car on a tgv train the game will crash.

You can make your own flags, too. I made a v3, which used the v2 freight along with the tgv mail and passenger cars, and it worked just fine. You need to go into the game and copy all the traincar kfms, then rename them to v3, or itll crash when it tries to load them. So if you wanted to make the TGV able to haul freight, you'd need to go into the files and copy all the traincar_v2.kfm files, one per good, and rename them traincar_tgv. (Of course, thery're not named traincar_v2.kfm, it'd be something like steelcar_v2.kfm, depending on the good.) Then, you'd need to go into the trains xml and unflag passengers only on the tgv. Tada, you have a TGV freight train.

You don't need to copy or rename any texture files or .nif files, because those are referenced from inside the .kfm. You can have more than 1 kfm calling up the same .nif. Of course, if you wanted to reskin the car to make the v3 look different, you'd need to to copy and edit the nifs and the textures too.

I think. It's been a long time since I dug around in those files, so I might be mistaken.