A theory

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Warll

A theory

Post by Warll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:19 am

So its late at night and I get this idea while browsing our oh so lovely forums. What would happen if we reduced the scale of everything, except the terrain. Well we could cram a whole lot more stuff onto a map for one. "Oh but silly Warll simply reducing a model's scale does not reduce it's poly count." (You know just in case you were thinking that) Well I'll counter by pointing this out. Most the the polys your computer has to render during a map's play is not the building's/Trains models but the terrain. Therefore we can reduce the system load of a map by using a smaller map TGA.

This of course, like everything has a draw back, everything is going to look smaller. AS well this would only help people with weaker GPUs, it does not reduce the stress during the late game on one's CPU.

Now comment and criticize, I'm going to sleep.

Tijer

Post by Tijer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:28 am

Overall it is not a bad idea. I would rather see if the SAM project works though. If nothing else we could call it SMR ANTS. It could produce some real challenges form just the original maps. After all everything looks different under a microscope.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4GHz
2 GB PC5400 DDR2 Ram
MB nVidia nForce 680i LT SLI
GC GeForce 7300GS 256MB PCI-E
HD 250GB + 500GB
OS Windows XP/SP2/32 bit

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 am

Good idea...I've thought things are out of scale myself. :) they could be scaled down a tad...I'm not sure about ant size though...