The same plugin should Import & Export
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Kinniken

Post by Kinniken » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Just tried and yes, it works fine. Thanks. I hadn't installed it in 3DS8, just the CivIV plugin which apparently exports but doesn't import.

I'm confused where you say that you use NifTools to export your nifs though - I thought the CivIV plugin was the one to use? I.e, that in the export dialog of 3DS when asked for the file type I should pick "CivilizationIV" and not "Netimmerse/Gamebryo"? That's what the wiki tutorial says at least.

Kinniken

Post by Kinniken » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:20 pm

Hmm, when the NifTool plugin is installed, 3DS seems to use it to export NIF even when the "CivilizationIV" type is select. Weird.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:58 pm

When you refer to 3DS, you aren't speaking of that $3000+ program are you??? I latched onto GMAX and a book for it, but I'm not sure if that will do it, or even if I can do it. Trying to stuff to much into my brain causes Cell Strikes... :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Kinniken

Post by Kinniken » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:43 pm

I do, actually. University bulk licences are a nice perk ;)

But anyway, I've been trying some more to make models the way SMR expects them, and it's a real pain. Outside of anything else making complex unwrapped UV textures really taxes my 2D graphics skills... I'm more and more doubtful I can get what I had in mind done with those constraints. Only thing I can reliably produce are decoration objets ;)

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:37 am

snoopy55 wrote:When you refer to 3DS, you aren't speaking of that $3000+ program are you??? I latched onto GMAX and a book for it, but I'm not sure if that will do it, or even if I can do it. Trying to stuff to much into my brain causes Cell Strikes... :twisted:
Snoopy don't kill yourself trying to use Gmax just go pirate it.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:34 am

Warll wrote:
snoopy55 wrote:When you refer to 3DS, you aren't speaking of that $3000+ program are you??? I latched onto GMAX and a book for it, but I'm not sure if that will do it, or even if I can do it. Trying to stuff to much into my brain causes Cell Strikes... :twisted:
Well, first GMAX, I got the book and CD for $5. Second, I really don't think I'll get into it that much since I won't be doing engines and with what we already have and what others are making, I doubt I'll really have much use of it. And third, this is not the place to be telling people to go and pirate things. There's to much public programs on the internet, and if I can't afford it, I have no use for it.

Pirating....bad, bad, bad :evil:

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:42 am

snoopy55 wrote:
Warll wrote:
Well, first GMAX, I got the book and CD for $5. Second, I really don't think I'll get into it that much since I won't be doing engines and with what we already have and what others are making, I doubt I'll really have much use of it. And third, this is not the place to be telling people to go and pirate things. There's to much public programs on the internet, and if I can't afford it, I have no use for it.

Pirating....bad, bad, bad :evil:
Just wait till Gmax breaks on you. It will trust me no one is safe from Gmax's terror. Anyways where did you get that CD? Last I remember Disscret had discontinued giving out Gmax keys.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:07 am

I played with it for a while and made a few things for UT2K4 for a map I did, but it wasn't indepth stuff.

You can download the latest version, 1.2 at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax . You then register it there and they send you the required key. I don't think the CD that came with the book didn't require a key, at least it's not mentioned in the books installation instructions. The book/CD originally cost $39.95 in 2003.

:twisted:

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:21 am

Well just remember to triple save any important work.