Adjusting passenger time & distance bonus

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Kinniken

Adjusting passenger time & distance bonus

Post by Kinniken » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi,

I assume the answer is going to be "no", but is there a way to adjust how distance increases the price of passengers and delays reduces it? And if possible, (dreaming a bit there), can it be set differently for three "classes" of passengers? I.e, on top of regular passengers have some "business class" ones or something that would be more sensitive to time, and "budget" travellers that would only care about the distance?

TIA,

K.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

There is a 'yes' to that and it's already in effect.

On the US Midwest map I started it up and got Cleveland as my start point. I waited for it to reach 4 passengers and did a 'Save'. I ran a track from Cleveland to Detroit and ran a 4 passenger car train. The amount per car that I recieved was $31,500. I then dropped out of the map and started the 'Saved' version which put me back in Cleveland with 4 passengers. I then ran a track to Chicago and sent 4 passenger cars. These got me $79,500 each. That is your "distance increases the price of passengers".
I then set up a passenger train from Cleveland to Chicago. I ran a spur off of that track to a Coal Mine and then another to Battle Creek and when the Passenger train was at a certain point I set up an 8 car coal train to 'block' it. The passenger train sat for 4 years and then continued on it's way. I got $66,000 per car then. There is also a cost for maintenance of $500 about every 3 monthes which increases as the Engine grows older. That is your "delays reduces it".

As to the other, 3 classes of passengers, you can make your own and set the <MinPrice> and <MinPrice> to whatever you want. Heck, you could even change the cars to look 'Business Class', 'Regular' and 'Budget'. For that you can use the Tourist graphics for one and create a third one yourself. As far as each one worrying about how much time, I doubt it.

Regular could be shipped anywhere, Bussiness from a small Town or Village to a Metropolis, and Budget could go to some special event as Tomas Vicente did in his Americas Cup map.

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Kinniken

Post by Kinniken » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Not sure I'm getting you - is that US Midwest example you mention something specific to that scenario, or just the "normal" behaviour passengers have in every scenarios? If the second, I know that SMR includes bonus for distance and malus for time in transit, what I want to know is whether I can tweak those in my map (aside from creating those two new passengers type, I'd also like to tweak regular passengers to give a stronger bonus to long lines, which in the vanilla game are only worthwhile with late-game, high-speed engines).

Your ideas for the three classes match what I was thinking of to some extent (business travellers earning more and being limited to metropolis, etc), but what I really want is them to have different time behaviour so that investing in special high-speed lanes is really worthwhile for business class but not at all for budget, and so on. If that's not possible the end result will be a lot less interesting...

Anyway, thanks for the infos.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:30 am

Those are the 'normal' prices, $6,000 to $12,000, UNLESS someone has changed it in the GLOBALS or their own map.

Yes, you can put the change in your own map. Take the minimum required code:

<Good>
<szName>Passengers</szName>
<szClass>Passenger</szClass>
<MinPrice>6000</MinPrice>
<MaxPrice>12000</MaxPrice>
</Good>

into your RRT_Goods.xml and adjust the Min and Max prices. The <szName> part has seen a change in the UTAH map, calling them 'Visitors'. Look in there to see what Universum and Karsten did there.

As far as 'different time behaviour' for different classes, someone else will have to come up with an answer, if there is one. The summer has been a bit slow here. I hope it picks up soon. :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....