Problem with changing Tunnel and Bridge costs

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
jowe10

Problem with changing Tunnel and Bridge costs

Post by jowe10 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 pm

I am trying to raise the costs of tunnels and bridges in my scenario to force track routing around mountains and to shorten spans over water. However. I am having trouble seeing any effect. The steps seem pretty simple:

1) Created a file "RRT_Tunnels_mapname.xml"
2) put the file in the "mapname" directory
3) changed the scenario file to point to "RRT_Tunnels_mapname.xml" instead of "RRT_Tunnels.xml"
4) Adjusted the costs in "RRT_Tunnels_mapname.xml" by playing with all the lines like "<nCost>3000</nCost>"

I don't see any effect in the game. Anyone else run into this?

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:19 am

Tunnel and bridge costs can only be changed for every map.

jowe10

Post by jowe10 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:41 am

Warll wrote:Tunnel and bridge costs can only be changed for every map.
So the other maps that have been posted with map specific tunnel and bridge xml files don't work for anyone else either? For example PaF Daddy recently posted his Europe Huge map where he states
PaF-Daddy wrote:
Some points:
- Villages accept passengers and mail. They also create 2 passengers and 1 mail
- slightly improved AI (I Hope)
- Bridges and tunnels costs changed, more expensive
- terminals, stations, annexes costs changed, more expensive
- costs of trains edited
- costs of industry and their goods changed
.. and many tiny things i forgot

Installation: put the folder "Europa Deluxe Special Version" into X:\...\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps
So those using his map don't see a change either? or are people changing the global xml file to play the map and changing it back to play others?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:27 am

Yeah, this issue has been discussed before. Tunnels seem to only work if you change the Global XML file. I just tested Bridges and they don't have that issue, make sure you edit your Scenario file to point to the right RRT_Bridges_<scenarioname>.xml file.

DF

PaF-Daddy

Post by PaF-Daddy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:31 am

New postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Warll wrote:
Tunnel and bridge costs can only be changed for every map.

So the other maps that have been posted with map specific tunnel and bridge xml files don't work for anyone else either? For example PaF Daddy recently posted his Europe Huge map where he states

PaF-Daddy wrote:

Some points:
- Villages accept passengers and mail. They also create 2 passengers and 1 mail
- slightly improved AI (I Hope)
- Bridges and tunnels costs changed, more expensive
- terminals, stations, annexes costs changed, more expensive
- costs of trains edited
- costs of industry and their goods changed
.. and many tiny things i forgot

Installation: put the folder "Europa Deluxe Special Version" into X:\...\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps

So those using his map don't see a change either? or are people changing the global xml file to play the map and changing it back to play others?
Yes as stated you have to wirte your own scenario tunnel and brindge xml´s. Then the cost will only affect that map
I love Locos and Eve Online

Creator of a huge germany map in english and in german. Look into the map section!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Dr Frag wrote:Yeah, this issue has been discussed before. Tunnels seem to only work if you change the Global XML file. I just tested Bridges and they don't have that issue, make sure you edit your Scenario file to point to the right RRT_Bridges_<scenarioname>.xml file.
If you look at Universum & Karstens' Utah map you'll see what can be done. You can write a map specific XML for the Bridges as the good Doc says, but no matter what you write for a map specific Tunnel file, it will only use the GLOBAL RRT_Tunnel XML or, if you don't have one, the original RRT_Bridge XML. It's really odd that they would write the rest of the XMLs to be able to use map specific XMLs, but not Tunnels. I would guess that as there was not much you could do except change the cost, they didn't figure it was needed. :twisted:

I had thought there was some kind of a problem playing with the Bridge XML also, but I can't quite remember what it was.......... :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

PaF-Daddy

Post by PaF-Daddy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 pm

oh i ve to look that up again.......sry if i tell not the truth :oops:
I love Locos and Eve Online

Creator of a huge germany map in english and in german. Look into the map section!

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah, this issue has been discussed before. Tunnels seem to only work......
Where, please?

Also, if I copy the regular game "Tunnels" from the Assets directory into the CustomAssets directory and then have a modified Tunnels file in the scenario file will it work at all? I mean have normal Tunnel cost in my other scenarios and and the cost change will affect only the one particular scenario.

I was always wondering why the Utah and the AZCanyon scenarios don't have this option in the SMRI mod. Now I know.
Jancsika[/code]

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:36 am

There are only two places where those two files will have any effect...the Original XML and the GLOBAL xml. And only the last one edited will cause a change. Plus, it affects all the maps. Either of those two in a map without the maps name may also effect all the maps, I'm not sure if that was tried. those two in a map with the maps name have no effect.
This is where SAMs would make a change as the two XMLs without the maps name could be put in there since only one map would be installed at a time. But, I have to build them and convince people of thier usefullness first. So far it's been a downhill battle, and I've barely started. :(

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 pm

Yes it is a problem with different modifications necessary to play a particular scenario. The way I solved it: I have different CustomAssets directory for each scenario.
The basic “CustomAssetsâ€