TenderCars and Dual Engines

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Lowell wrote: If someone has that default list of trains, I can finish the dual list.
Lowell,
I attached an XML that lists the default trains the game starts with.
Attachments
RRT_Trains_Template225.zip
Lists default trains
(616 Bytes) Downloaded 263 times

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue May 01, 2007 3:14 am

Great...I will get on the list tonight or in the morning.
Thanks

Oh...and I'm getting closer to the finish of the orange fields and orange cars...have a few tgas of several fruit growers express cars..."and a red Sante Fe fruit growers express car too!"
Attachments
bra_1718.jpg
bra_1718.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 8225 times

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue May 01, 2007 3:18 am

That is sweet Lowell! :D

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 am

I got to looking at all the maps I've downloaded and in each maps' RRT_Traincars.xml there might be a couple of tender cars referenced from the maker. The ones referenced do show up in game but none of the others do even though they are in the globals. I've resigned myself to just adding the tenders to each maps' RRT_Traincars.xml to get them and hate to keep bringing this up as nothing else I do gets them. I'll let the dead horse lie instead of beating it.

And that boxcar from above looks great. Always hated the way the stock cars are just plain with one color.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 PC2 4200 SDRAM 533 Mhz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri May 04, 2007 3:19 am

LOL I can see your point, if it works don't fix it. :lol: I figured Lowell would have his map of Florida by now.Maybe the boxcar will be in it. :D

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 3:34 am

What I'll start doing is copying everything from the global traincars.xml into each maps traincars.xml and same with global train.xml to each maps trains.xml and then I'll be able to use everything in every map and be good to go.
Do you guys think it's dumb to use every train on every map or do you prefer to keep it more real by using only the trains that were in that country?
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri May 04, 2007 4:17 am

I don't always start out with all the trains at once. I do like to set up some of the dual engines. I think you can go into the Trains Global and change all the dates to 1800 then in the scenarioXML and show reference to the Global_Trains_XML and that should give you all the trains.

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 4:30 am

I prefer to use them in chronological order (will change dates to early if I'm testing) but just in general, was asking if you guys used all the engines on the maps or just the country specific ones? I realize the GP's and other diesels don't go with Russia for instance but just like the look of them so much.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 04, 2007 6:24 am

I always delete the map default train xml as as I dont like the 5 mph trains. I have a default train xml that I rename for every map.

It has all my fav trains, duals and heavy freight movers. With the duals I have renamed to my custom names that show up in the roundhouse.

The only worthwhile train map files are from Big Papa and choobacca like in the Basin & Range Demo map that introduced some new trains.

The new ones that Lowell has done as well as I just add to my default train list. So I have about 8 fav trains I always use.

I prob forgot to mention of few of you who have done train mods.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Fri May 04, 2007 3:55 pm

I usually use the map specific trains, and I don't use duals unless the map is specifically designed for them (B&R) or accomodates them well nonetheless (Arizona Gold is the only map I've added trains to, specifically a 4-8-2 Mountain and the F3 a&b unit). On other maps, the trains with duals are just too long; if you use duals on the firaxis maps, the trains stretch from one city to the next!

I prefer steam engines, which look better with a tender than they do doubled. However, some of the tenders from the TenderMod don't change colors with the train, so I've changed my trains XML file to only use the paintable tenders; I put a different tender behind the trains that had the other ones (ie the solid red Tendermod tender).

I wish we could get some more diversity in the diesels, we already have a F-series a&b unit, GP9, a GP38-2, and an AC4400, but I'd love to see a F40PH, even if it was just the cab of the AC4400, shrunk down and grafted onto the F unit's body. An earlier GM would be nice too, either a Uboat or a dash 7. I reskinned a GP38-2 into a conrail B23-7, but it just didn't look right without the bulge in the back (Like what the AC4400 has.) It's possible to delete inappropriate elements by making them transparent (such as the bell, the horns, the fans) and you can make other elements less pronounced (modifying the texture files made the nose look stubbier, more like a GE's) but you can't add anything, and in the end you really need to know how to work with 3d modeling to get it right.

I also reskinned a pair of electrics to make the AEM7 (from the Re 6/6) and the GG1 (from the p5a). Both were released with my America map. They both came out OK, but not being able to change the models really limited what I was able to do.

I'm still eager to see the SW1 and Dr. Frag's NR Class, which hopefully will come out soon.

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 7:44 pm

I only use the duals on the large maps as I agree with the small maps they just don't look right. I don't like small maps in general anyways.

On another note, I downloaded the new Valencia map this morning and played vanilla, not editing anything and all the tenders showed up for the trains. They aren't listed in that maps traincars.xml so I had to laugh that they were all in game but I still can't get them to show up on any other map unless I add them manually to that maps traincars.xml which everyone says not to do. :-)
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri May 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Hmm, they are in the RRT_TrainCars_Valencia.xml file that I have. But then I didn't use the installer which probably takes them out.

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Fri May 04, 2007 8:00 pm

That is strange. I used the installer that was provided in the download and just double checked to make sure but there are no tender car references in my RRT_TrainCars_Valencia.xml file and there weren't. But they sure are in the game.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Well that is what the global xml files do. If there are no trendercars in the RRT_TrainCars_Valencia.xml then your steam trains / duals will have tenders as they are in the global RRT_TrainCars.xml

This Valencia map is ideal for larger dual trains and was fun to play.

Also some of the older maps did have tendercars in the RRT_TrainCars_map-name.xml and for the tender mod to work you need to remvove referance to tendercars in thos files.

HisAlterEgo have you installed the tender mod or you don't have all the tenders listed in the global RRT_TrainCars.xml

see Mange's Tender Mod
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =7712#7712
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Sat May 05, 2007 12:43 am

K,
I installed Mange's mod so all the tenders are in the traincars.xml global.

Something that gets me though is the new map Valencia has no tenders in the RRT_Traincars_valencia.xml but they appear in the game.

Another map though, Italia, had the 4 tenders that came with the game in it's RRT_Traincars_italia.xml and they also appeared in the game, but when I deleted those 4 tenders from the mapname file, they no longer appeared in game.
It just seems some maps need the tender reference in the mapname file and some don't. It's hit or miss.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home