A Different Mexico

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:33 am

Got the coffee working. Right now they go to the food plant.
Slappy, Karsten and I were going to work on this together. Dr Frag did the gray scale mapping. If you look lower in the Talk Mod you'll see the first part of this discussion. Anyone with any thoughts, after reading that, post them here.

I'll have to make a note about the map. It can't be loaded except in the Editor as there is only 2 start points and the game requires at least 4.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:23 pm

The map looks great. Are you running this on that size 25 map that was in the files or the size 15 map you had in there?

I ask because I have been testing a size 20 map (and many others) and it ctd's every once in awhile or gets a runtime error after building a few sections of track. I am beginning to wounder if any maps will play well that are above the 255 size. They play...but they crash out every few things you build.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Thanks, but I just assembled it, the Doc did made the important part.

Wrong on both counts. It's a 24. If it causes alot of problems I may have to go to 15. I'll have to look into the maps sizes that have been published. I'm thinking this may be getting into memory in both MoBo and graphics card. We have alot of people downloading these maps, but are they able to run them or do they just delete them and go onto the next.....

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm

Well I did allot of tests...posted it on the "done" thread. My large size 20 maps get unstable after they get three quarters full. They just drop to the desktop. Or...you get a runtime error. I have four friends in the Atlanta area that are testing these maps as well as myself. All the same result. My system stats are very high. I even sent all my findings to 2K games and have a case number. Size 15 maps on down work fine. Any larger and they won't last. They may play, but after you fill them up they start to crash.

There are two maps inside that zipp….
Inside the zip you supplied, there are several folders. One has all the tga map files and a scenario and map setup for the size 15 map already...maybe you didn't dig deep enough into all those files. The size 24 map is in there too. That is what I was referring to...did you intend everyone to try the size 24 map...if so please let me know how it runs...if any.

EDIT//Maybe there is something I may have missed about larger boards…

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:04 am

The PNG_and_TGA ZIP was an initial one I played around with. It was more than I wanted to play around with. Anyone wanting to use it is free to. That one is the 15 map your speaking about. It can be edited, but can't play as it only has the defauly city. I was trying to learn how to do this stuff. The second ZIP, Central Mexico is the one that I want to play with. I just need input and scenery. The first thread has info on what is to be done so far. That is where the Coffee Plantations came in. Cotton farms will go in here too. Peanuts would be a good one also. I did som research on mexico and have some stuff.

When you speak of the size 24, are you refering to the TGAs?

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:48 am

Snoopy you might consider having a tequila manufacturer requiring agave cactus.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:18 am

Slappy suggested tequila. That and Beer are 2 more things.

Keep the ideas coming.

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:14 pm

You could have the corn fields deliver to a renamed food plant (Tortilla Plant).

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:24 am

Well a map size 24 is a 24 x 24 map...or 576 square units...or 1441 x 1441 pixels.

The size map I was testing was a size 20... 20 x 20, 400 sq. units, 1201 x 1201 pixels.

The size 20 map that we have been testing, as well as other southwest maps of the same or larger size...they get unstable when you get them three quarters full or just near the end, they start to just fade out to the desk top allot. They start out good, but start to fail. I wanted the Florida map I am making to be a size 20...but tests show that a size 17 or smaller works without any crashes. A size 24 map is huge. I am going to try it and see, I love huge maps...I guess I really just want to know if anyone has any luck playing such a large size map.

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:47 am

Plus as we all know later on in these large maps with more tracks and things going on they really slow down to a crawl and a size 15 map would better suite most players.

I have suggested before why not make smaller maps that have a episode 1,2 and 3

Maybe concentrate as suggested elsewhere say on 1 or 2 railway companies in a certain area.

I like the idea of more goods like coffee tequila and cotton as it adds more to a local map and build on a scenario round that where coffee beans / cotton say need nitrate to grow then need to ship them somewhere to help a city grow to produce another set of goods.
We have a lot of people downloading these maps, but are they able to run them or do they just delete them and go onto the next.....
Its great that you can do the whole of US or Australia etc but untill SMR gets some code / patches done you are really stretching SMR's limit.

Keep it smaller and don't Over Dose on all the goods in a single map as I would prefer a well played scenario with a great end goal than a mappers showcase on what they can do and accomplish. (not intended to offend or to hamper your guys great creative map skills.)

the old Keep It Simple etc.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:55 am

I wanted to work with the 24 because it stretches out the mountains a bit more, they're not so jagged. If your research proves correct, I'll go with a 17 and like it.

As to this map... I like the help. From that and research I've got the following Annex goods:

Wood
Cotton (finished)
Coffee (finished)
Oil
Corn

Would like:

Peanuts
Soybean (grain w/ diff icon)

Manufacture:

Beer/Tequila
Flour/Cornmeal
Taco/Tortilla
Steel
Textiles

Import:

Oil
Machinery

How many and how many of each is up to size.

I still need a Scenery person. Maybe Slappy can come up with a Victory set.

Slappy Da Clown

OK

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:56 am

Hi Guys

I will try to work up a set of victory conditions.

Some questions ? Are you going to put in the cities & industries first or are you going to put them in based on the victory set ? If you are gonna put them in 1st please send me a list of each. If I ask dumb questions, please be paitient Im just learning.
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue May 01, 2007 2:50 am

Of course I'll figure out which goods and which cities first. I've got to get the map to work correctly with the editer. I like the 24 size, but if it crashes everytime when I tell the editer to save the map changes, it's not going to be worth it. And to many goods and cities on a small map leaves no room to run a train.

As they do import oil, i may just put in 2 ports since there is all that water doing nothing, and get the oil that way. No oil rigs messing up the landscape.

K-class - am I understanding you right - make 1 map. Set up a few sets of victories for say 50 years total. Then a second map a little more up in goods, like maybe they didn'y get a good till 1900, so in the second map you have that good. And the 3rd map is for the last 50 years.
I may have missed it before, but that does sound interesting. Run the time at a slower pace to drag a 50 year scenario out to a 150 year play time. That take things like the gold rush into only a certain time frame instead of 1850 to 2000. I'll have to find out about the times on those goods, and maybe a few others.