Terrain Editor Conflict?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Jancsika

Terrain Editor Conflict?

Post by Jancsika » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:35 pm

I place this question in this thread, if not the right place just let me know.
I have installed several scenarios, starting with the new Santa, Chicago.., Arizona, Styx, Basin etc….
They all worked fine when I was playing them.
But then I discovered, that in the Terrain Editor I could not “Create a New Mapâ€

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 pm

I've noticed that too. I didn't take the time to figure out what map was causing it, however.

Jancsika

Terrain editor conflict?

Post by Jancsika » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:51 pm

One more thing.
I went back and uninstalled the scenario
including the .FPK file, but the editor conflict remained.
JB.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Then it's likely a conflict with trhe globals.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:31 pm

When you say, “Create a New Mapâ€
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:49 pm

It's the 'Create a New Map' button. I can click it, then choose a size, and then the game begins loading for a while, but eventually it will crash to desktop. I got the problem with Basin and Range and Arizona Gold, I don't know which one or why, though.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:34 am

I believe this is a problem with the Globals like stormfather said. I have had it happen to me on several occasions. When you create a map in the Terrain Editor I think it tries to make all content in the Global XMLs available to you and if something is not quite right it will crash. What I usually do is MOVE my CustomAssets folder to my desktop and start putting things back one at a time or in small groups like all the FPKs. It usually comes down to something in one of the XMLs. So to start maybe just move the XML folder to the desktop and see if you can create a new map.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:07 am

I just did my Central Mexico map and found one nasty problem. When it creates the XMLs it uses 3 from the NewMapBase folder, Cities, Goods and Industries. When it comes to TrainCars and Trains, it pulls what it needs from GLOBALS, which is everything, including Tenders. So while it loades fine in Editing, when it's loaded in Scenarios, CTD. Remove what it doesn't use in Cars and wipe Tanders, and it's fine. Maybe a tryout on editing the NewMapBase files to add TrainCars and see what it does. I may mess with that.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:42 pm

I've noticed that too.

New maps pulling in everything from Trains and TrainCars global. So I create new maps, shut down the game, edit all xmls, then return and add whatever to the map, Then go back and edit the xmls a bit more...all before play testing.

EDIT//That's what I have made up also choobacca, any new maps just get the "starter pack" I call it. It's not too big a deal, but you better remember to edit it...the christmas engine pulls the most errors if you don't change the trains list, so if you get that error it's a good reminder that you forgot to edit the trains list... :lol:
Last edited by Lowell on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 am

Big Papa and I have also seen this problem but didn't know what caused it. So to make starting maps more convenient, I have created templates that we load whenever we want to start a new map. These templates include the starting map and the xml for all Goods, Industries, TrainCars, and Trains. So now I am making them available for you! :D

The attached ZIP file contains a map directory for each of the standard map sizes, and a small utility program I wrote inside each directory that creates a clone of the scenario with the name you specify.

Using these saves you the first couple steps of creating a new map in the editor, exiting, editing XMLs to include all industries, then relaunching the editor.

Using the cloning utility programs, you can quickly create as many maps as you want with the click of a single button! :lol:
Attachments
TemplateMaps.zip
Template maps for all standard map sizes
(331.35 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:57 am

Sounds great! Just to update my experiment, I put my stripped XML, Goods, Indusrties, TrainCars, Depots and Cities. Then Edited the Blank Scenario for those. I got to choose what I wanted from a full list, but it still extracted all the tenders from the GLOBAL and added them.

So, I guess I check out this new ZIP. You would wait till I fought for 6 hours with the Central Mexico map.... saves Cities and Industries fine, but likes to CTD right after saving the map. :cry: