Anyone for an Industrial Park?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Anyone for an Industrial Park?

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 am

I had a thought on an Industrial Park :idea:

Use a Distribution Point Annex, called an 'Industrial Park Yard'. Take some Industries like say, the Paper Mill. Copy it and rename it 'IP Paper Mill'. Set <bInCity> to 0 and <iCost> to -0. Remove the Production, Auction and Report sections. Add 2 or 3 more Industries. Now, in the Industrial Park Yard, set it to recieve Wood and ship out Paper, and recieve the required Goods for the other Industries and ship the finished Goods. Some or all of the could even be shipped in Containers.

With careful placement of the IP Industries and the Industrial Park Yard, it could be placed anywhere in a large map.

Is this feasable :?: Any takers :?:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:35 am

That would be like Indianapolis, big city and almost all roads connect to other big cites. :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:38 am

In the city of Aurora where I grew up they had 3 alleys running thru downtown which had tracks with sidings for freight. Course when the town grew, the tracks went to the scrap yards :cry:

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:31 am

I lived in a little town, i always knew when the train was coming through town. Sometimes it would be almost a mile long.They would always let me clime into the engine and pull the cord to the horn. When they stopped for lunch I would play in the engine revving up the motor. walk back to the caboose I never knew what was in it, I had never seen inside. I was seeing if it has a horn. I pulled a valve and a big gush of air came out and scared me, so I ran :lol: When they came back and tried to leave they couldn't get started :P One guy had to walk the whole length of the train to see where the air leak was. :P :lol:

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:08 am

So why have you not put this story in the wiki?>

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:33 am

Warll wrote:So why have you not put this story in the wiki?>
I never thought about it until snoopy's last post. :lol: They used to also come into town with I called "Put-Put's" They were little yellow things they would go and check the tracks with. I would always get rides on them. :) It's a shame all these small town's just fold up after the trains stop coming in to town. Most all the train stations noe are either gone or made into history relics. :( At least you can still go see them. Here is a link that has alot of the old trains. just click on the wheel that says Trains.

http://www.prairievillage.org/
Attachments
a_put_put.JPG
a_put_put.JPG (7.7 KiB) Viewed 6547 times

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:36 am

I think a industrial Park Yard is a good idea.

That would add varity to the game and might solve having 20 trains delivering goods back and forth to cities where one or two trains could do the job. Like your side to side map.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Well, I have 2 versions worked up, but each has a problem.

One is made as a City with a size of 6. As there is a hole between 3 and 6, I don't know if a Metropolis will grow to a Industrial Complex. There are no buildings except the industries. The depot has to be built up like a city, and it has the people running around it. I guess you could transport people to and from their jobs....... and mail to and from the bisinesses, just keeping both low.

The second is made as an Annex. I used the Container building. I run into a problem when trying to place industries around it for looks. I get crashes if I try to put some kind of industry there, probally because I'm trying to 1.) keep the influence radius very low, like 10 or 0. 2.) cost at 0. 3.) no production (all the input/output is in the Industrial Complex)
I suppose a shipping building could be made with 3 or 4 buildings around it, no special design.

I'll try to work up the files needed and instructions for anyone who wants to look into fooling around with this. I don't advise an Installer as you'll want it out when you're done with it.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:38 pm

snoopy55 wrote:...One is made as a City with a size of 6. As there is a hole between 3 and 6, I don't know if a Metropolis will grow to a Industrial Complex. There are no buildings except the industries. The depot has to be built up like a city, and it has the people running around it. I guess you could transport people to and from their jobs....... and mail to and from the bisinesses, just keeping both low....
I recently played around with this.
I set up an Industrial Park of size 5, but saw my Metropolis would eventually grow into this. No good.
You can put as many industries in cities as you want. You are not limited to 3. So you would either put all your industries in the city, or create a new model to operate as an annex, then set all your inputs and outputs in the Industries XML.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:56 pm

The Annex would be best. A main building which has a container crane, but handles other inputs and outputs also. The outer buildings could be Industrial KFMs with a few added City buildings. Either someone like you could do a set, or a change in the name and listing, like so:

<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Food Plant IC</szName>
<szModel>FoodPlant.kfm</szModel>
<fScale>1</fScale>
<Production>
<Resource>
<Input>None</Input>
<Output>None</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>1.0</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>
</Production>
<Locations>
<Location>
<StartX>120</StartX>
<StartY>-154</StartY>
<Rotation>0.000000</Rotation>
</Location>
</Locations>
</RRTIndustry>

Scale only if you want it changed. There might be some other things needed to make it work. A zero InfluenceRadius in Depots and a few other things set there.

Has possibilities :?: