Pulp Mill......

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Pulp Mill......

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Pulled from a thread by Morrison Rail Co.
Jagabot wrote: One thing we could really use is somebody to make a lumber car and a finished lumber mill for a city (or another lumber mill that accepts lumber/logs from another mill and outputs finished lumber). That would fit very will with any mountainous map.

Or perhaps a pulp mill that accepts trees and it's output (pulp) vastly increases the output of a paper mill (pulp in -> paper out x4 or something). I'd try it but I can't get my brain around the skins in this game and I'm a graphic artist by trade. =/
The finished lumber car could be made from the Container car by raising the ends up and putting the center panel in (end-to-end), Or even the log car done the same way. Or both, the changed log car for early use, tho I think they used box cars, and the changed container car for the later years. For the lumber mill, put logs going in, boards coming out, and piles of boards. That would take editing, but it's possible.

From some quick research, chips from lumber mills are what is sent to pulp mills, so a lumber mill with 'Pulp' output added (piles of wood chips added) and then use the cars used for Grain, only with different paint jobs, tan or brown. Run this to a Pulp Mill made from one of the following, with changes of course,:

Chemical Plant, change the green slop to tan and add silos for chips

Power Plant, remove the electricity annimation and add silos for chips

Armory, remove the crane and bombs, (or change bombs to pulp bales) place smoke stacks on corner guard posts and add silos for chips

Refinery, change the looks or color somewhere, add silos for wood chips

If these are to be out-of-city, then pulp bales would be nice, but not needed. If they're in-city, no need to worry.

From here they would be shipped in boxcars or containers or flatcars.

Any editer volenteers?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jagabot

Re: Pulp Mill......

Post by Jagabot » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:28 am

snoopy55 wrote: The finished lumber car could be made from the Container car by raising the ends up and putting the center panel in (end-to-end), Or even the log car done the same way. Or both, the changed log car for early use, tho I think they used box cars, and the changed container car for the later years. For the lumber mill, put logs going in, boards coming out, and piles of boards. That would take editing, but it's possible.
Older lumber cars were basically just flatbeds with lumber stacked on top.

These are the most common modern lumber cars for rough cut lumber 2x4 2x6 4x4 2x8 4x8 etc type construction lumber. The "white" appearing one near the end would be finished lumber (in bundles) that is wrapped with white poly to prevent rain damage. The cars are open on the top and on one side.
I suppose I could just take one of the boxcars in the game, and rewrap it with a new skin that looks like a full lumber car. It would do the job.

The most common type of car I see with finished lumber products on it are these sorts of 60' cars:
Of course, maybe this is a Canadian thing (like the short-ore cars all the iron and nickel mines use). Most finished lumber comes wrapped in white poly though to prevent weather damage and board warping (lumber yards cant sell crooked boards to build a deck with) -- This would probably be the better one to model -- a person could skin the load either wrapped or as wood.
ImageImage
Another car for finished lumber car is a box car like the one on the right.

A person could then use finished lumber with their goods manufacturing (I don't know of any furniture plants that use raw logs...) or to grow cities (raw materials to increase the city/town size... 4 cars of lumber = 1 car of mail and 1 car of passengers and of course counts to number of shipments to your city/town)
From some quick research, chips from lumber mills are what is sent to pulp mills, so a lumber mill with 'Pulp' output added (piles of wood chips added) and then use the cars used for Grain, only with different paint jobs, tan or brown. Run this to a Pulp Mill made from one of the following, with changes of course,:
Yes, pulp mills use logs not destined for wood production and waste wood from lumber mills, but most of their wood materials come from vast tree ranges they own the harvest rights to. The chips are either trucked in using giant cage trailers by road or on trains (I lived in a city with a Weyerhauser pulp and paper mill for years so I'm pretty familiar with the train cars they used -- they used box cars for the pulp bales because you cant use wet bales safely, they also shipped them wrapped in poly by road).
Chemical Plant, change the green slop to tan and add silos for chips

Power Plant, remove the electricity annimation and add silos for chips

Armory, remove the crane and bombs, (or change bombs to pulp bales) place smoke stacks on corner guard posts and add silos for chips

Refinery, change the looks or color somewhere, add silos for wood chips

If these are to be out-of-city, then pulp bales would be nice, but not needed. If they're in-city, no need to worry.

From here they would be shipped in boxcars or containers or flatcars.

Any editer volenteers?
I'm going to revisit trying to skin a car. And see about altering some of the existing industry models. I also would like to create a uranium mine which, of course, would be shipped to a nuclear power plant. That plant would be the only power plant that produces a byproduct which could be shipped to an arms plant.

It would be interesting to create an industry that had a negative effect on a city (-1 to population growth and/or passengers). A nuclear plant could have the effect of big bucks from uranium and arms products, but a negative effect on your city population and passenger demand. Would be an interesting trade off. :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:21 am

Jagabot - your first picture is what I was talking about. Take the container car, raise the ends to look like those cars and put the web going down the middle for the empty car. For the full car, leave the web out and put the lumber on it. The unwrapped would be better as you could see what it is. We have both types of lumber going thru here. I've mainly seen the angled ends. Here is a site with some pics. If you look at the right end of the 3rd pic you'll see the end of a load that is unwrapped:
http://stewart.railfan.net/rail/lumber.htm

I've seen wood chips in what looks like old hopper cars with the tops cut off and a steel screening over the top. We would need to keep it simplfied by using a hopper car. Here is a site I found that shows several:
http://stewart.railfan.net/rail/woodchip.htm

That site has lots of great pics.

As to nuclear power plant, the only 2 I've seen are at least 2 miles outside of the city. The one city I lived in, while small, was well off. The schools were paid for by the power company and the city got a hefty bundle also. You can find it on Google Earth, Seneca, ILL. The power plant is south of it the dark cooling water storage.

I just did a bunch of skinning on my DSC cars for my Side To Side DSC map. I have to assign them and work on the round car icons.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....