Isolating a CTD

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
willie g

Isolating a CTD

Post by willie g » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:06 pm

I have suffered the normal number of CTDs while working on a scenario - always thought I could trace it back to a missing or mislinked, Good, Inventory, TrainCar, etc...
Today I had a CTD well into a run of the scenario which led me to believe it was not one of the usual suspects. This was right after the startup of a saved game so I was able to recreate the CTD (ad nauseum).
It always occured at the same time - so by eliminating trains one at a time I was able to isolate a single train that was "causing" the problem - and this was a train that had been delivering this Good to the same location for 'years' - but all of a sudden - as soon as it started to unload - CTD. The quick solution was to scrap the train and immediately remake it - same engine, same goods, same depots - and no CTD.
This made me suspect what I had heard here before - I have been using an adjusted TurnsPerMonth value in order to be as historically accurate as possible - a time frame that only ran about 45 years - not enough time to get everything done at the normal time function. So I had been using 75 TPM. I deleted the TPM line from the XML and bent the historical time line - and guess what? first time I ran through the scenario from start to finish without one CTD.
Bottom line is I'm convinced the TPM was the cause of my problems.
-willie g

gforce

Post by gforce » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:16 pm

i believe it's the fault of the event.xml file,
in my case it is,
create a local event_map.xml file if it crashes, you will need another list of events, delete some, starting from those goods not used in the list, it will work, iturnspermonth will be of no problem afterwards...
(unluckily it's not very clear wich list of local events work and wich not, but it solves the problem anyway, if you've got problems...)
and yes, having one event less will have not such a big impact as changing or surpressing the tpm
plz, try this out and let (us) me know if it solved the problem...

willie g

Post by willie g » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 am

thanks, I'll give it a shot...
-willie g

Bal

Post by Bal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi,

I've had this happen to me too.I've come to the the conclusion that it's in the the events file also.If you do happen do get past the point of where the crash occured (I kept track of when it happened)By reloading a save or whatever a newspaper event WILL pop up.I've had the crash occur when a train starts to unload also and i've done the delete that train to(or reroute it)that may just be a coincidence. It also seems to happen on certain maps at specific times.(alaska and BC Gold)are two that i know of.it seems to crash when changing from 1868-69, 1896-97 and 1922-23.(I set the era to start on bc gold to 1865 to check it out) and sure enough it crashed changing from 1868-69.not sure about other maps.I have'nt checked them out yet.

I run the scenario's I play at 32 TPM and the adjust the VC's accordingly..(Actually I usually triple the VC's to make it a real challenge)
I never thought to make a local event file.I'll have to check that out to see if it helps.Does make sence though if the game is looking to have an event for a good that is not on the map and then crashes when it cant find that good.

Not to get off the subject, but this is work that Sid and Firaxix should be doing... not us.That's what they get paid for.And I'm really dissapointed at the TOTAL lack of support for this game from the company.I have'nt seen or heard hide nor hair since the last patch in Dec.It will be a cold day in heck b4 i spend any of my money on Sid or firaxix again unless they take care of the problems with this game

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:01 pm

The events are something that really need some checking out. The problem come in that you can add a car and see if it works OK because you know you are going to access it at this point at this time. Events happen whenever they want, even if you run the same map over and over. I've messed with enents only because an event mentioning a US Passenger problem in a Mid East map look silly.

What maps are these and what Events have been adjusted/removed?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....