Issue with installing map's and other custom content

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
quinmalkiq

Issue with installing map's and other custom content

Post by quinmalkiq » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:42 pm

Hello,
Good Evening (EST Time here)

I am a die hard fan of all the RRT's (No#2 being my personal fav) and SMR, But I want custom content for SMR. I tried to read and understand the instruction's for Installing map's into my game, But it all seemed to be incoherant gibberish to me.

Can someone or some people tell me in clear and precise instruction's, where I should install map's (Fpk's, Xml's etc...) and custom content (such as train's) ?

Please help !

Thank you all for your time and help.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:09 pm

You must have been looking at some rather old topics since now all maps come with a "fool-proof" installer. You can find a list of all SMR maps and there installers here: http://www.hookedgamers.com/wiki/Sid_Me ... ustom_maps

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Sometimes the installer is posted a bit after the original download, meaning you have to search the posts for atani's installer. If for some reason you want to or have to download and install a map manually, you should put everything in the following directory:

\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets

You may not have a CustomAssets folder in your \My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, if not simply create one, or download Firaxis' christmas scenario, which will create it for you.

atani

Post by atani » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Generally the installers are posted within a couple hours of the initial release of a map. As WarII said, the best approach is to use the Wiki page he links to which has direct links to all installers for the various maps. I generally try to keep this Wiki page updated when I upload a new installer as well.

Also, installing the Firaxis Santa scenario will generate many problems with other custom maps which use custom content as well. If you are interested in playing the Santa scenario I would suggest heading over to the this thread to get a proper installer for it which plays nicely with other maps on this forum.

Mike

quinmalkiq

Post by quinmalkiq » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:44 am

Hello,
Good Afternoon (EST Time)
Thank you all for your timely reply's. It has been a hugh help. My next question is with Custom Train's + Train Skin's, Is there a Wiki page for them too ? or install instruction's ?
Thank you for your time.

atani

Post by atani » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:55 am

quinmalkiq wrote:Hello,
Good Afternoon (EST Time)
Thank you all for your timely reply's. It has been a hugh help. My next question is with Custom Train's + Train Skin's, Is there a Wiki page for them too ? or install instruction's ?
Thank you for your time.
Custom trains and skins are not on the Wiki I believe. I will see what I can do about adding a list of them up there as well.

As for instructions on them, same as the other map installers, extract and run setup.

Mike