Custom Resources

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
blizzard

Custom Resources

Post by blizzard » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:12 am

I've created a custom resource " lumber mill" following this post by gforce on how to make copied in-city industries http://www.hookedforums.com/forwarder.h ... php?t=1374 and all went well. I have the actual mill in the game and all the icons and traincars, etc are working fine except....

My custom mill starts out at large size (graphically). Meaning fully upgraded. When I put it in via the editor, it pops up to full size right off the bat. Since it's a direct copy of the lumber mill (all changes made to .nif and .kfm files to reference custom named files), I figured it would "act" just like the lumber mill. Not so. Either in the editor or while in a game, my mill shows graphically as Large Mill, even though the info for it states it's small. Even when putting it in via the editor and choosing small size, it's fully upgraded. This is one of the latest things that make me go "Hmm".

If anybody else has created (copied) a resource facility (not in-city industry) and have it working in regards to upgrade sizes, would you please let me know how you achieved this. I've already scratched a bald spot on my cranium thinking about this.

Oh and one more thing, I have created in-city industries as well with out any issues. Creating the resource industries is basically the same.

~Blizzard

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:27 am

Blizzard - not full of knowledge on this, but check out these two items:

<szName>Lumber Mill</szName>
<szModel>Lumbermill.kfm</szModel>
<szSecondaryModel>Lumber_Stockpile.kfm</szSecondaryModel>
<szGrowKFM>LumberMill_Build_Up.kfm</szGrowKFM>
<szTerrainmap>TerrainMap_Lumbermill.tga</szTerrainmap>

<szName>Refinery</szName>
<szModel>refinery.kfm</szModel>
<szGrowKFM>refinery_build_up.kfm</szGrowKFM>

There are 2 more lines in there, would that make a difference.

Just a thought.....
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:36 pm

I have created custom industries but haven't run into this.
Are you sure you have all the .kf files? There are a bunch of these. A couple of them run the upgrade animations.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Snoopy, I have all of those changed over to associate with the renamed files and have updated my global Industries file. It almost as if the buildup model has been swapped with the initial model.

Choo, I made sure I grabs all those associated files. Even double checked as I did miss one of the texturing files. No biggie as the animation didn't skin in NIFSkope. Have you done resource industries like the lumber mill or grain fields and not just in-city industries?

The in-city industries are a piece of cake to alter, but I'm finding the out-of-city industries a little more complex. Due to the associated animations that go along with it, no doubt.

Here's the odd thing. When I place it on via the editor, it is placed as a small (default) industry but the immediate graphic shown is the large industry. If I right-click it to change the size, you know - small, medium, large - if I choose large, it will change to the small industry momentarily and show the upgrading to the large industry. So I know the animation and associated .kf files are there. If I right-click and choose medium industry, it will pop the small industry up long enough to show the animation for the upgrade to the medium industry and THEN continue to upgrade to the large industry. Totally frikkin' weird to say the least. I'm gonna go through each file and reference what files are with what files and start from scratch. If I do get this working, I'll post back. I'll get it figured out. After spending two days of having Railroads crash everytime I tried to place an in-city industry (which was my fault by NOT putting the associated goods for that industry in the goods xml FIRST), I believe I have the patience to get this working. If not, I'll just say... Well, you get the picture.

~Blizzard

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 pm

i didn't made a out-city-industrie (like lumbermill) but a hospital-in-city, in the tutorial,
but also as you can see in the last screenshot in the tutorial, the buidling (the hospital) has a size small,

WHat is different with an out-city-industrie? I don't know, maybe the use of an annex? do make a new annex maybe and see if it helps...
but i don't see any reference from industrie to annexes? where is that reference?