How to set up the Timescale?????

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:04 am

CeeBee51 - I tend to run with binary numbers (2,4,8,16,32,64)and don't seem to have any problems. What numbers are you trying? And what Scenarios? I played with Alaska and ran it at 4, and double speed.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:09 am

Snoopy, my memory sometimes isn't as good as it should be ;)... I think it was 64 but I'm not sure. I'll have to try you're method and see if it works. :)

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 pm

on iturnspermonth, i've changed my scenario to 48,
it runs fine, no problem at all....
(The most ctd's i had was due to the fact i had just a default event-file, while now i've got a local eventfile with only my goods in the scenario listed, since i don't have any crashes more)
some thoughts about iturns:
(correct me if i am wrong)
- iturns slows only the time NOTATION,
SO NOT
- The frequency you pay your loco (so 10 min of real-play-time) will cost the same
- The locos are getting more expensive in use just like normal (the effect is that you will replace a train by a new one fe in 10 years while other iturns in 20 years)
(but in game time it's the same)
- Goods production, the same as for locos,
- city growth and decay, the same as loco

SO
it's only changing the time NOTATION
it will have effect on:
- When you will be able to buy trains (game play takes longer)
- SO also a big impact on the scenario objectives because they are also talking about year-time fe before 1890,
whar means that the objectives are easier because the number of goods generated before this time will be much higher
(SO FOR THOSE OF YOU JUST CHANGING THE ITURNS IN OTHER MAPS, SHOULD ALSO USE A CERTAIN FORMULA TO CALCULATE THE DEADLINES)
(this would be something like this:
:arrow: (iturns_default)/(new_iturns) * (begin_year - end_year)
FE: (16/32) * (1850 - 1890) = 0.5 * 50 = 25
==> begin_year 1850 AND SET end_year to 1875 (instead of 1875)!!!
(+ a little factor because probably you will have to do the objective with slower trains) so let's say 1877 (or something)
- for events also because they are stated in a period of time fe 1890-1999
- it's SURELY NOT TRUE that you can drink more coffee while waiting you're train taking a trip to a city!!! you're train is not moving slower, in game-years he will even arrive much faster
(people complaining about the fact it takes 10 year for getting from point A to B will be glad with an adaption of iturns because you can set it so that it will take much less time-notation-time)
:?: something else that will be changed due to this or not???

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 pm

gforce,
You are right on every point. It just slows the calendar, not the action. So anything that is dependent on the calendar will be affected.

While I haven't tested the limit of the iTurns number, I know there is a minimum limit to the number of years for Eras. I tried making a game that had objectives that span the game time of 12 months and set iTurns so real time was ~45 minutes. The map wouldn't load.
I would have to test again to see what this minimum is, but I think it is at least 15 years game time.

Does anyone know these limits?

choobacca