New Installers

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Slappy Da Clown

New Installers

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:45 pm

OK Guys

Im ready to try these maps with the new installers. I would like to know some things 1st. Should I reinstall my game & start clean ? Does the installer include any dependancies the map might require (i.e. if it needs some files from the santa map is that there ) ? Or do I have to make sure I have them installlled ? What about fpk files ?

Its my thought to do a clean reinstall & start new with the installer maps & wait for the makers of others to redo with installers. But I dont want to have to write letters later because I was supposed to put some text or files somewhere. Im gonna do the reinstall any way but Ill wait to see some advice here 1st.

In my opinion if this installer works & installs a map ready to play Firaxis needs to send you a check. It will be the thing that makes a good game gr8. Im an old man but Im slowly absorbing some stuff concerning these XMLs & such, but I would rather just be able to play the game. Although Im sure its more fun to you modders. Thanx very much for taking the time to make this thing.

If you look real close you can see me there next to the lilac bush
Slappy Da Clown

atani

Re: New Installers

Post by atani » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Slappy Da Clown wrote:OK Guys

Im ready to try these maps with the new installers. I would like to know some things 1st. Should I reinstall my game & start clean ? Does the installer include any dependancies the map might require (i.e. if it needs some files from the santa map is that there ) ? Or do I have to make sure I have them installlled ? What about fpk files ?
So far all installers I am producing will include all dependencies. If you want to start with a fresh install it would probably be best since that will help isolate further dependencies and problems. I will be packaging the santa map using this same installer process to ensure that it plays nicely and doesnt install extra crap as well. If you install a map and it doesnt work, please post it on here and I will help you get it working.

Mike

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Slappy,
The new installers work great. They put FPKs and the map files in the right place, and add the global XML files if they aren't there already. Then the installer adds the necessary XML to the globals and the game is installed. It even adds an uninstaller in the map's directory.

It would be best to start from scratch (clean out your CustomAssets and UserMaps directories) because if other global XML files exist elsewhere in the CustomAssets directory, games could still get messed up.

I have the installers for ChicagoToTheRockies (atani did this one for me) and SuperBowlExpress attached to the first post of their respective threads under Mods-Maps.

Once everyone adopts this system and creates installers for their maps, we should have no more problems with maps. :D

choobacca

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

choobacca, and others - you might want to add a note at the end of any threads where you add the new installers (as atani did) as they don't give any notice in the forum if you just edit an entry.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Slappy Da Clown

thanx guys

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 pm

thanx guys

This is gonna be gr8.

Excellent work.

Im starting over now & will update on progress.

Slappy