New Map - The Gold King

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
slider38

New Map - The Gold King

Post by slider38 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm

The Gold King

The next post contains a new map, "The Gold King", which is ready for testing. The map is intended to be played against 3 AI players. It features some new engines, goods and industries. There are new city buildings including a Mercantile, Barbershop, Hotel, and others. This map was conceived around the story of the Lost Dutchman's Mine. It runs from 1892 to 1930. Time has been slowed down on this map.
New_Buildings.jpg
New_Buildings.jpg (76.67 KiB) Viewed 17780 times
The map also features some new annexes as well as some short ore cars. Many of the industries are cutdown versions of original game industries - a cattle shed, small gold smelter, etc. Most items in the game are new. There are new versions of the depot, station and terminal adding a bit of a southwest flavor. There is a ATSF 4-6-2 which features its unusual 6-axle tender and a Southern Pacific Mikado trailing a modified Vanderbilt tender.
Ore_cars.jpg
Ore_cars.jpg (17.68 KiB) Viewed 17780 times
I have been testing for several weeks on my old computer which runs Windows XP. Today I ran it for a while on my laptop which runs Windows 8. I had no problems running the map on either machine. It is a 13 by 13 map and should run on any PC. I am able to run it with all graphics turned up to the max.

There is some variation in difficulty depending on starting location. Kingman is probably the easiest - Tombstone the most difficult. Each starting location provides some interesting challenges.

The Zip file includes a listing of goods and industries in the form of a text written on Notepad. Enjoy. Hopefully you will find the map fun to play. If you find it is just too easy, try it from Tombstone. If you still find it too simple, let me know. Increasing the speed of play would be a simple adjustment. Please let me know if you run into any problems with the map.

slider38

Re: New Map - The Gold King

Post by slider38 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:51 pm

The Gold King Updated
The_Gold_King_map.jpg
The_Gold_King_map.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 17546 times
This map has been re-posted below. The map itself is unchanged, but the files are fewer and the process to install them is much simpler. Enjoy!
Last edited by slider38 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 pm

I could use some feedback here. I find it a bit strange that some of the map files have been downloaded 4 times, one file 6 times and one file 8 times. You need all of the files guys. Once the map has been tested Warll will put them together in one larger file for ease of downloading, but for now, you need them all. Thanks :shock:

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:12 am

Single player runs well. Have not tested with competition yet.
The structure of the files is a bit complex, but I figured it out after a while :D

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm

I have received feedback from one tester who found that the last two engines would not carry freight. I don't know why I missed the <PassengersAndMailOnly>0</PassengersAndMailOnly> line in those two engines. I am surprised that it would default to passengers and mail only. I did not find that in my testing. Anyway, I have updated the download files. This is the updated RRT_Trains_The_Gold_King.xml file. For anyone who has already downloaded the other files, all that is needed is to replace that file with this one -
RRT_Trains_The_Gold_King.7z
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
Just copy this file over the existing one.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Karsten, I appreciate the feedback. Glad that the map ran well for you. I am hopeful that you will find some challenge when you play against AI. Thanks again.

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Good morning,

I have run this scenario many times now and I like all the new stuff! I have one question though. What is the reason for the miner's camp? I mean, it doesn't seem necessary for the mines to operate. The miners only go to the camp and stay there. Suggestion? Make them have to go to the mines to make them produce gold and silver? Maybe give the soldiers something to do? Like maybe be necessary to protect the mines or bank or processing? Was a wild and wooley time after all... :D

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm

Hello MasteRyder, Thanks for testing the map. I assume that it gave you no difficulty, as in crashes or errors. As to the miner's camp, I wrestled with that one - leave them in or take them out. I used lumber for supports in the mines returning the ore. I didn't use the miners because the camps would be located rather close and making it too easy to get ore if traded for miners. I decided to leave them in and use them as another way of earning some money, though if you spent too much time on them I think completing the buyout of competitors might be a problem. Were you able to complete the objectives? Was there a lot of time left if you did? Thanks again for giving it a try.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:43 am

The Gold King

Created By: Slider38

SAMed By: Slider38

Tested By: Slider38 and the Forum
The_Gold_King_map.jpg
The_Gold_King_map.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 17546 times
This map is loosely constructed around the legend of the Lost Dutchman's Mine. It runs from 1892 to 1930. Time has been slowed down. It is intended to be played against 3 AIs. Have fun.

This is a SAM map. Download the files. Create a new instance of Sid Meier's Railroads. Open the UserMaps folder. Place the downloaded files in the UserMaps folder and unzip The_Gold_King.7z.001 file and it will automatically unzip .002 and .003. Play the map.

If you need help to setup a SAM map, there is info on the site. It is a simple process.

There is a listing of goods and industries if you wish to use it. It is a text file and is a separate download below if you wish to use it.
Attachments
The Gold King Goods-Industries.7z
(539 Bytes) Downloaded 637 times
The_Gold_King.7z.003
(5.03 MiB) Downloaded 870 times
The_Gold_King.7z.002
(10 MiB) Downloaded 894 times
The_Gold_King.7z.001
(10 MiB) Downloaded 873 times

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Good morning Slider38,

Yes, I found the objectives easy enough. I knocked off the three AI's early in the second period and finished 9 years early on average and I'm not a great player. Nice map. I wish that I was proficient enough that I could make scenarios like you and the others do. Maybe one day I'll figure all this out... :?

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Sorry... No crashes but a glitch most of the times with the speedometer. It wouldn't give me the speeds of the trains unless I saved the game and reloaded most of the time. A bit of OCD on my part... :wink:

slider38

Post by slider38 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 pm

MasteRyder, I really appreciate the feedback. This map may have a bit more variance in difficulty than I wanted, depending on starting location. I tried to provide some track control issues for each starting spot, but I think Tombstone turned out to be more difficult than the other 3. Oh well.
As far as map making, it just takes patience. I started working with that map in Oct 2012. But you can build one in a few weeks if you just use standard game goods and stuff. I just like trying to build new stuff. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. All part of the fun. Thanks again for testing the map. :)