Nafta Phase II New Map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Jancsika

Nafta Phase II New Map

Post by Jancsika » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:51 pm

This is NAFTA Phase II.
I was working off and on it for two years now. The reason of the delay was that it's being a 20 X 20 map, most computers, including mine did not have the resources until now. I almost discarded it when Rodea was so kind and helped me with restarting it.
This is not a SAM or a SAM2 or a CIC or any other type. Just take it as a map to play!!!
It is a very difficult map.
Era #1 is the agricultural phase. There are two 9-step runs.
Era #2 is the industrial phase and there are two 12-step runs.
The resources are very limited, only one starting resource for each run.

The map is available:

3. My FTP site. The link is below.
4 Read the notes first before you start.
5 Have fun.
There are all new TrainCars, thanks to Rodea.
The trains are from Lowell's Florida Gold
Some goods and trains from Choobacca's maps
Most of the new industries are from STEP INC and Snoopy
I made some new goods and Icons for them.
Also the revision and installer by Rodea

This post was edited Jan.9, 2010
Nafta.jpg
Download_NAFTA_Phase_II_SAM2.zip
This is a revised SAM2 Version

(840 Bytes) Downloaded 549 times
Attachments
Production Index.jpg
Last edited by Jancsika on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed expired links

Rodea2007

Re: Nafta Phase II New Map

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 am

This is to remember that Military Fort originally from Basin and Range RR map by Choo-Papa Enterprises then I made her/his animated, with give him/her KFM and KFs file, as I said before I'm not going to promote him/her, but Jancsika put this mod on his map without confirmation and notice to me to the first, so I don't want to hear any complains about credit for this mod to me......... :mrgreen:
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

mikeyc

Post by mikeyc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Jancsika, you have 'done good' this is a very stable and good map. Big and involved so to keep the interest for several hours.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:57 pm

With all holiday festivities, family visits, etc over and done with, I made time this morning for NAFTA Phase II. Although it looks a bit daunting at first, it is actually quite manageable and fun. The good points:
  • The map is rock-stable (not a single crash), reloading a saved game is easy. Clear recommendation for CIC status. 8)
  • I managed all routing with only two major bridge crossings in the mountains (no spaghetti routing!)
  • The NAFTA theme is more credible than in NAFTA I, with actual goals in Mexico and Canada to fulfill.
  • Very helpful production index to figure out what goes where.
  • Very commendable listing of credits to other contributors!
Now for the ever-popular constructive criticism section: :D
  • The Mogul engine is superior to both the American and the Pacific engines, so there is no real choice of engine in the first era until the Mikado becomes available.
  • The need to buy all opponents in the first era makes the condition superfluous in the second and third eras.
  • Shipping 200 Gold to Denver is a condition in second era and thus automatically fulfilled in third era if one sensibly ships gold from San Francisco.
  • Glitch on the distribution centre texture (see below)
Overall: Jancsika, you have 'done good'!
Attachments
First major rail crossing
First major rail crossing
Texture problem?
Texture problem?
Second major rail crossing
Second major rail crossing
Routing in NAFTA
Routing in NAFTA
NAFTA II Win in 1921.jpg
Last edited by karsten on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:41 pm

karsten wrote:The map is rock-stable (not a single crash), reloading a saved game is easy. Clear recommendation for CIC status. 8)
Good to hear, the more CIC maps the better.

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:04 am

Yes, I agree with everything Karsten said. Judging from his screenshots I just needed a lot more track to get my goods moving around.

I did not like the way this map has to be 'installed'. It worked perfectly, so that's good but replacing the entire SMR! folder is a too crude method. The whole shabang unpacked to 126mb which is quite large but apart from that I think you didn't realize that you also copied all of your personal settings. My game started in windowed mode, it had all wrong graphics settings and it started with your profile. I actually played the map as Jancsi. SAMming this would be a good idea.

As with the first Nafta map I think money comes way too easy. With just a few passenger lines its possible to quickly generate millions. Theoretically you don't need any other income. I managed to complete all goals within the first era with 6 years to spare. All goals except the very last. (Company value).

This was a fun map. I liked the long chains of industries and the new types of goods. I do think it was all a bit too easy tho. ;) (Then again, I think all maps are too easy. Heheh.)

Even tho I have a fast machine the game started acting up with a lot of track and a lot of engines on the map. Actual gameplay stayed smooth but when laying new track the game freezes for about 30 secs before continuing. No crashes whatsoever. Warll, is this where your tool for using more than 2gb of ram is needed? Do fast machines with Win 7 also benefit from that proggy?

Thanks Jancsi!

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:30 am

Doc, I think you want to try Rodea's Borneo Island Map. :D

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:38 am

................ .....Year.......max.Speed.......Speed.......Power
AMERICAN...............1850.......7............6............8
Mogul........................1875.......7...........8............17
Pacific......................1890.......8...........9............10
Sou Mikado..............1910.......8...........8............20
Sou Mikado Dual........1920.......9...........8...........25
Sou Grn Mikado.........1930.......9...........8............30
Sou Grn Mikado Dual 1940.......10...........10..........35

Thanks for the kind comments. As I said earlier I was not quite sure if the game is playable at all.
The credit for the flawless play should go to Rodea. He was so kind to set up the files, after I almost gave up on it.
The Mogul is more powerful than the Pacific, but a little slower.
Since this is only a game, I do like the romance of the steam engines.
In real life I traveled a lot on them as a passenger.

As for the track laying goes too slow, I think it is the graphic processor. I was checking the memory usage, it stays under 3 MB and there is very little demand on the CPU
Now that I have some remarks, I can go and have a final release.
Jancsika
You are right about the money. I had it in mind that once you have all the money, you can just delete the passenger traffic and the train congestion it causes, and concentrate on industry. I have to figure out how to make the mail and passenger traffic less profitable as the game progresses.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 am

karsten wrote:
  • The map is rock-stable (not a single crash), reloading a saved game is easy. Clear recommendation for CIC status. 8)
Why you can told this map with "Clear recomendation for CIC status", look at all XMLs file, there is not like CIC wich make full listing for all XMLs, but this map didn't like that, only new item not as default item will make it full listing.
As to folder namely Assets under CustomAsset Folder, that is not reflects the style of a map, because you can change that name with "karsten" for the example, then the name will not affect to any things. CIC still use RRT_Goods.xml as goods xml put in UserMaps folder, but this map have RRT_Goods.xml as Global xml with full listing and put in CustomAssets Folder/XML, and actually this map style is Rodea Style without installer, but like the mapper this map said "This is not a SAM or a SAM2 or a CIC or any other type. Just take it as a map to play!!!" that is correct..... :)
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:34 am

I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
It will take care of the excess fles and total size.

I believe that the 'speed of time' (for lack of a better word) may be the cause of the amounts of money being made from passenger transport.

If i'm not mistaken, days go by faster than regular in this scenario. So, even if it looks like a train takes a regular amount of time to deliver its passengers, in fact it takes many days to arrive at the next station. The longer (and further) a good has to travel, the more money is being earned at delivery.

Just look at the difference between the game's price for passengers and what they actually bring in when being delivered. It's more than ten times the amount..
That's what generating all the cash. (Same goes for other goods. They pay out way too heavy imo).

Still, a great scenario! I love the long distances.

Greets!
Doc.

PS. My graphics processor is an Nvidea GTX260, it handles even the most advanced First Person Shooters without a problem. Hence my assumption that it's got to do with how the game uses that graphics power... or something..

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
It will take care of the excess fles and total size

I am not quite sure that I want to change it to SAM.
I have nothing against SAM and most of my maps are SAM-s and I will be making more SAM maps.
But this file structure is working soo flawlessly that I don't want to tinker with it.Disk space is cheap these days.
Maybe I will ask Rodea to make an installer for it.
But I don't think it will be necessary, because this way it is a very clean installation. While, if you use an Installer, it will leave the old files in place. It just adds to them. And that might cause conflict that the player is not avare of and will blame the installer or the mapmaker.
Jancsika

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Bushdoctor wrote:I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
It will take care of the excess fles and total size.
I don't think if this Map convert to SAM style, then it will take care of the excess files and total size, because it will only change RRT_Goods_NAFTA PHASE II.xml to become RRT_Goods.xml, and then delete RRT_Goods.xml as Global in CustomAssets/XML folder just it..... :lol: :lol: , you can't delete the others files because it will cause the map will get CTD or will not working, I very well understand about this, because I participated this Map designed to work properly

Edit///....but as Jancsika said it will reduce size of the upload files if make an Installer for this map, for example Borneo Island Map have size almost 200 MBs, but with Installer only have size 36 Mb
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Rodea2007 wrote:Why you can told this map with "Clear recomendation for CIC status", actually this map style is Rodea Style without installer :)
Good point - if they both have the Rodea file structure, why did the one map (NAFTA) reload easily for me, but have a strong tendency to freeze - and the other (Borneo) reloaded only with much fussing about, but had virtually zero freeze problems despite its large size :?:

Actually, neither map was installed on my machine exactly as either Rodea or Jancsika intended. :roll: The installer crashed, so I had to copy and paste the bits and pieces of Borneo that I thought were needed, and, like Bushdoctor, I did not want to overwrite my own settings with Jancsika's personal settings, so I also did my own copy and paste for NAFTA II.
I guess the ideal combination of Goods.xml and Mapname_Goods.xml remains open for further research. :D
And just to take up Jancsika's point, I made sure that I had a clean installation to start with in both cases, so there was no interference from any old files etc.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

I have copied some of the above posts to the proper thread.
Let's keep this thread for the maps.
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 170#p43170
Jancsika

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:41 am

I just finished making the Installer for Nafta Phase II Map, where the Installer is only have size 14.8 Mb, and all the mistakes there like bitmap car Icon for scrap metal was fixed and what is happening when Karsten Install Borneo Island Map, I guess it will not happen again, because the installer only copying the finished RRT_Goods.xml and placed in the appropriate places and not make a new RRT_Goods.XML with command by Installer, perhaps in the near future I will upload it...... :D
Attachments
scrap metal.jpg
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB