Trying to make a Connecticut map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
newhavenpatriot

Trying to make a Connecticut map

Post by newhavenpatriot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 am

Hey everyone... I'm brand new here, and I did a bit of reading on how to create custom maps from elevation data last night and came up with a 15x15 map of Connecticut, with almost every town incorporated before 1850. I got pretty much what I wanted for elevation, haven't put any terrain stuff in yet, and I just auto-placed a few industries. And I don't know how to do the XML stuff yet. I tried running it once, but it crashes whenever there are AIs. :(

Would anyone like to take a look at what I have so far? Also, if you're interested in helping to make this map cause maybe you're from CT, I wouldn't mind working together with someone. Let me know what files to send you or post or whatever if I've sparked your interest. :)

-- nhp

newhavenpatriot

Re: Trying to make a Connecticut map

Post by newhavenpatriot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:16 am

Here's the thumbnail image (print-screened and pasted into GIMP, then cropped and saved as a gif, since it didn't display right when I just opened it from the folder for some reason)

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 pm

I am sure there is more interest at http://eric.bkbobby.com/index.php. They have lots of help too.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

newhavenpatriot

Post by newhavenpatriot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Okay, then I'll move this thread to that forum, in the "Maps in the Making" topic, under Maps.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm

newhavenpatriot wrote:Okay, then I'll move this thread to that forum, in the "Maps in the Making" topic, under Maps.
You not need to move your thread to another forum, just post your map contents here and you can get help from map maker here like Jancsika, Lowell etc, if I have time to do this I will help what your problems......... :)
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:11 am

You not need to move your thread to another forum, just post your map contents here and you can get help from map maker here like Jancsika, Lowell etc, if I have time to do this I will help what your problems.........

The truth is that there is not much action here since Snoopy was haunted away. Have not heard from Lowell for ages, and weather we like it or not, one can get instant and professional help better at Bobby's Forum.
Falconeer just let this forum unsupervised too long.
It is only surviving because of the links that been in existence for long, so the new users come here first.
Jancsika

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:51 pm

You know I realize you might be trying to help, but just about every post on several threads I have just read...you are telling every person to go to Bobby's forum.

New map makers can read, and learn. There is also a thing called Private messages that people can send to map makers and see if they get a response.

Nobody "haunted" anybody away. They left pouting...and were making their site forum way before any of the arguments from them being mad because I made and posted the first self-contained map and took their title away from them as I was first. I thought nothing of it till they made a big attack on my mods and work.At Bobby's you must do things their way or get ousted and attacked by them.

I had a stroke and am recovering, so my mods will be re-posted as complete...those mods of mine at that bobby site are outdated and most likely have been tinkered with and then posted there...I Never posted My Mods at their site. I also have asked for about a year now to have them remove them as they belong at Hooked Gamers forum only.

Let's all start working/helping with mod builders right here at Hooked Gamers and stop destroying this forum.

I guess I need to say I mention this in a nice way, and not upset. There is plenty of information at this forum...true it is scattered throughout.

If anyone has any questions about the xml lists and how to edit them please feel free to ask.

Thankyou

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I don't know how to do the XML stuff yet. I tried running it once, but it crashes whenever there are AIs. :(

Would anyone like to take a look at what I have so far?
Sure, I can take a look for you. The xml lists are easy once you get the hang of it. I can send you one of my custom maps that has just about all the lists made custom from what the game has.

Just what is it you would like to do with your map? New custom goods and industries...or just use the game's default goods and industries? Using the game's default goods and such makes it easy. Making new stuff adds to the mix a tad. You may zip up what you have and attach it to a post here if you wish.

One item to remember is for whatever Goods you use, you need industries to use and produce items from...then you must have what train cars you need for "each" item. Later we can cover Events and such. :)

EDIT// Oh...and watch the spelling, as the game will just crash if it doesn't see exactly what it wants. But crashing is a good thing...it means you are progressing in your building project, you need only find the one mistake and it will start running again, then you can tweak more. Make "one" adjustment to the maps stuff at a time as it makes it easier to find/fix an error.

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Clap! Clap! Clap! You did that very well Lowell! First you attack Jancsika, (you better get reading the forum better, there are a number of references to going to Bobby's Rails for help) then you attack with 'They left pouting', which, only one left, Snoopy55. Didn't you go and pull all references to your maps like a little tyke on a playground with his toys?
The idea of SAMs and their basic structure was devised in October of 2007 by Snoopy55 and Tijer (who you got kicked off this forum, and you have been trying to get others to agree with you to have others kicked off also) and the idea posted on November 18th of 2007. http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 280#p23280
You first came up with your idea for CIC's on March 28 of 2008 http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 308#p27308 And even then you stuck it on Snoopy55's thread, an act, if the tables were turned, you would have blasted off at the mouth about. OH ya! You did!!! http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 826#p32826 And all he posted was a small map to show the guy how it should look with your map loaded. And...IT WORKED!!! The guy was able to load your map and get it working! But you expected everybody to just ignore the guy till you got around to helping him......
And you made the idea of stand alone maps sound like it was COMPLETELY you idea, even after you condemned it only a few posts prior to that (which you edited, but a quote was done here - http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 398#p24398
It came about when Snoopy55 brought up the fact that the forum was in need of a lot of house cleaning and re-arranging You admittedly posted your CIC before it was fully working just to get there first, AFTER you condemned even the idea of a stand alone map on December 30, 2007. According to snoopy55, you and he went thru E-mail with him giving you instructions. And you failed to follow the most important one, No other maps in the UserMaps folder

And Bobby's Rails was conceived by Bobby alone in early 2008, and no one else was aware of it until he made notice of it in October of 2008. This forum was poorly cared for because you were the main instigator in getting Snoopy55 kicked off as Moderator. You wanted him off completely, but Falconer saw that he was VERY much needed here. But your stuck up-better than anyone attitude caused him to go somewhere where he could get something done. And he has done a lot over on Bobby's Rails http://eric.bkbobby.com/ And, they were not 'mad' at you for taking their title away, Their title for their maps is SAM, not CIC, which you posted that Karsten thought up.
You 'thought nothing of it'? You started attacking Snoopy55 when he pointed out that there was no real difference between theirs and yours. And, as usual when certain posts are mentioned, you edited the post where you stated that SAMs are for noobs and CIC are for experts. (go ahead an deny it, I sure others remember it)

As to the ousting on bobby's site, only one person has left, and he demanded to be removed (they have records of those posts). And nowhere are there any rules that say how a person has to make maps and such. How would you know? You haven't been there!

Must have been one heck of a stroke for it to take 3 months to recover. My brother has had 4 in his lifetime, and it only took a few days to recover from each one.

If your maps belong here at Hooked Gamers, why have they never been posted here? And why are they on other forums? You made them public access, the game and it's contents belong to Firaxis/2K, so they are up for grabs! Your name was never removed from them. As to being outdated, a few days after someone downloads them from your site they are outdated as you seem to keep changing these 'finished' maps that are going to get new stuff added. Finish them as they are and get on to all these many other maps you are working on and those 'millions' of 3d mods you have on hand.

And after all of that attack, you have the gall to say "Let's all start working/helping with mod builders right here at Hooked Gamers and stop destroying this forum."! You stab some people in the back and then you want to shake hands with them??

And newhavenpatriot and a few others that first posted questions here are getting plenty of help on Bobby's Rails, and their maps are coming along just fine, thank-you!

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm

AHHHH!
Good old times.
Jancsika

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Lowell wrote:You know I realize you might be trying to help, but just about every post on several threads I have just read...you are telling every person to go to Bobby's forum.
New map makers can read, and learn. There is also a thing called Private messages that people can send to map makers and see if they get a response.

Nobody "haunted" anybody away. They left pouting...and were making their site forum way before any of the arguments from them being mad because I made and posted the first self-contained map and took their title away from them as I was first. I thought nothing of it till they made a big attack on my mods and work.At Bobby's you must do things their way or get ousted and attacked by them.

I had a stroke and am recovering, so my mods will be re-posted as complete...those mods of mine at that bobby site are outdated and most likely have been tinkered with and then posted there...I Never posted My Mods at their site. I also have asked for about a year now to have them remove them as they belong at Hooked Gamers forum only.

Let's all start working/helping with mod builders right here at Hooked Gamers and stop destroying this forum.

I guess I need to say I mention this in a nice way, and not upset. There is plenty of information at this forum...true it is scattered throughout.

If anyone has any questions about the xml lists and how to edit them please feel free to ask.

Thankyou
Gee I see your Still at it, and none your so called Mods/Maps on my site have been tinkered with or changed in any way. They are as you made them with all the bugs and glitches you had in them.
The only one pouting is you as you pulled all your stuff from this site and then kept saying you will replace them for the last year or so but it never happens.

Now as he and the others have found they have gotten all the help they needed from my site so there is no need to complain about it here in this thread.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 pm

My responses were toward comments made that were wrong. New members do not need to be told to go to another site.

And RockyNarrowMind...you were not even a member when the transformations took place and know nothing of what transpired.

As for you bobby...I could care less of you. I see you have a "group" of people to help you take others maps and transform them and take them all to your site...scum.

Now excuse me as I go to HL2 and blow everything away and get rid of this steam.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Lowell wrote:My responses were toward comments made that were wrong. New members do not need to be told to go to another site.

And RockyNarrowMind...you were not even a member when the transformations took place and know nothing of what transpired.

As for you bobby...I could care less of you. I see you have a "group" of people to help you take others maps and transform them and take them all to your site...scum.

Now excuse me as I go to HL2 and blow everything away and get rid of this steam.
Now now to use one of your own rules and i quote you from it
Lowell wrote: One of the rules on This forum is you not put down members using their name,
You have done that extensively through out this forum.
Taken from this post by Lowell himself On this page

No comments were made wrong only yours. But I see your attitude hasn't changed at all and it is no wonder everyone dislikes you and your website is as bad as your mods unfinished garbage.
Last edited by vzbob on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 pm

First off, they were not wrong in thier comments. Nowhere on this forum does it say you cannot refer people to different forums.

New members DO need to be refered to whatever forum that exists where they can get the information they need. Let's look at your latest bit of inteligent advise:
teej72 wrote:I'm real new at this and all I am looking to do is get the cities, towns and villages to behave the same in my custom map as in the in game scenarios. Example: a town should demand food, a city furniture, etc...

Everytime I edit the cities xml file and try and play, the game crashes. Anyone know why this is? All I did was change the name of a city. I have uninstalled the holliday scenario as a precaution and am using MS word to edit.

Also, how do I use other train/ goods set in the editor instead of just northeast. I'd like to do a custome map and make beer!

Thanks in advance!
Lowell wrote:Inside the Cities.xml text you will see the requirements for each type of city/town. All you do is add whatever you want the city level to have/use.

Notepad++ or explorer can open xml text lists. There you can "see" easy enough how to copy/paste items to the list.

I can also post an example here if you wish.
Now, let's examine this. Teej72 says he edited the cities xml, but the map crashes. You come back with another of your bright replies telling him that all he has to do is add what he wants to the city level. DUH!!! He did that and it still crashed! A person of inteligence would have asked him to upload a copy of the file, then he'd look it over and explain what was wrong. Notice I said 'explain' and not 'fix' Fixing does not teach.

And there you go, right back to your name calling. To quote you
And you call me "RockyNarrowMind"! Practice what you preach!

AS for knowing what trasnformed, I've had a lot of time on my hands to read this forum and have a very good memory, And, I did not HAVE to be a member to read this forum, so, as usual, your wrong again with your smart mouthing off at people. Also, if you look at the top of the page there is a thing called 'Search'. And, I'm on Windows Live Messenger with Snoopy55 Tijer and Vzbob, so I do know what went on. Were you around in 1776? Then by your own logic, you don't know what happened then.......

And there you go talking about things you know nothing about. They have not converted any more maps to SAMs for quite a while. Snoopy55 has been working on his Mexico map and building BBs for that map and for other people. So, until you register there and read what is going on, shut up about it.

And finally, the name calling again.

And gee, I see nothing with you has changed. Things are pointed out to you, even so far as post jumps, and you just do your normal ignore it. Learn to face your accusers and respond.

Now, lay off of everybody, let them do as they please and go finish your maps.

And by the way, your argument is off topic. Bad boy! :twisted:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 am

This is ridiculous!!
You guys are starting the nit picking where you left off.
We don't read anything new, only the same drivel that was repeated before.
Why can't you behave like normal grown up people do???
Please use a little bit of common sense.

As for what is written, nobody will read all the nonsense that was written. I certainly won't!!!

If you have an issue with an other member, use the PM!!!

......and if you have no positive contribution to this forum; STAY AWAY!!!
Jancsika