Mud Skippers

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Lowell

Re: Mud Skippers

Post by Lowell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 am

Mud Skippers has been re-posted. Please see the main page of the thread for the download link. :)

You may notice many file structure changes I have made...and through much testing they all are needed as packaged, so simply take the one file folder for Mud Skippers and place it into usermaps...then start the game.

Thanks
Attachments
mud_skippers_52.jpg
mud_skippers_082.jpg
mud_skippers_55.jpg
mud_skippers_54.jpg
Last edited by Lowell on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:39 am

Continued from above...
Now those who will examine the maps files...I have a reason for using the scenario and global files at the same time. I found that without having the scenario files mixed in with my new globals, the map ran strange in TrainTable mode. As I know many like to play the maps in traintable mode, I fully test them in all difficulity modes just to make sure. Plus the maps run super stable and saved games always work. So it may look a tad huge, but it runs great.
I have gone over everything, but you know...Murphy's law.
:)
Attachments
mud_skippers_45.jpg
mud_skippers_44.jpg
mud_skippers_49.jpg
Skippers_066.png

Warll

Re: 泥ud Skippers

Post by Warll » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 am

Those photos are beautiful.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:18 am

I run the map twice. First in TrainTable mode, that's for getting to know the resources and layout, then in regular mode to complete scernario requirements. This is not the kind of map where there are AI players to muddle up the game. It is rather difficult to complete the first Era, but after that not so difficult. Also it is not something that you can do it a couple hours.
The layout of the terrain, the mountains, creeks etc. is well thought out and also attractive, with just enough difficulty to make the track laying a challenge.
I personally don't like the looks of the big steel bridges, they are rather ugly, but that's Firaxis' doing. I used it only once to run the automobile delivery.

What pleasantly surprised me the map is very stable. I did not have any CTD at all. I left the game run fully 9000 miles of track and 27 trains, stepped out to cook (Yes I cook) diner and it was running nicely when I returned.

I have Vista on my machine, had Windows 7, just removed it and reinstalled Vista. With both operating systems I am having problems with running custom maps, including my own. I am having random CTD-s that I just can not find the reason for. The stock game maps work fine so did this map.
I will have to look into it!

All and all we waited for this revision since May 2008, but I think it was worth it.
Jancsika

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:33 am

I had played it for about an hour on my Vista PC when it crashed (I *think* the error message was that Railroads! had stopped working).

Nice map though. Thanks, Lowell.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:41 am

Thanks for the comments.

Greybriar it may need a setting in Vista for these large maps. It runs on Vista if you do what member perunga had done for his Vista. It fixed the large memory for me on my new Vista.
It just takes a sec to open the command prompt and place the line.
My first time I put 2900 at the end and it didn't work, then I used 3072 and it fixed the game in Vista.
I bet if you try it then go and get your AutoSave where you were last it would run from there on. It worked on my Vista.

How to Open Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges in Windows Vista.
1.Click on Vista Start button.
2.Locate the Command Prompt menu item (buried deep inside Accessories under All Programs or appear on program access history).
3.Right click on Command Prompt.
4.On the pop-up right click context menu, select (Run as Administrator}
5. type "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900" no quotes. NOTE: System boards vary. if 2900 does not work try 3072

Hope that helps :D

EDIT// also make sure that one Mud Skippers file folder is the only thing inside the usermaps folder...and...your Custom Assets folder should be empty as well. :)

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks, Lowell. I will try that.

And, yes, the Mud Skippers file folder is the only thing inside the usermaps folder and my Custom Assets folder is empty.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Greybriar: Try to use this product. It will temporally shut down the unused programs that are loaded at boot up. It works fine, but I would not use it for on-line gaming.
HTTP://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Quoting myself:
What pleasantly surprised me the map is very stable. I did not have any CTD at all. I left the game run fully 9000 miles of track and 27 trains, stepped out to cook (Yes I cook) diner and it was running nicely when I returned
Recently I have tested an other great map, it had a unexplainable CTD every 15 minutes. I know it could be my operating system.
I am a mapmaker and have posted at least 20 maps, some of it only redone older maps, but it always feels good to get a compliment, especially when it is well deserved.
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 pm

Lowell wrote: It runs on Vista if you do what member perunga had done for his Vista.
That tip was THE life-saver for my SMR when I (very reluctantly) had to start using Vista after buying a new computer some time back. Vista is a terrible memory hog and crowds out SMR. The good thing is that you have to go throught this procedure only once, after that, the memory problem is fixed permanently (assuming you have enough RAM - otherwise the program suggested by Jancsika may be better).

The newly posted Mud Skippers ran smoothly to completion for me, not a single crash. I even let it run to 2008 just to be sure, no problems! I used a slightly better layout this time. Excellent brain teaser map, Lowell!
Attachments
Mud Routes.jpg
Tested to complete.jpg

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Jancsika wrote:Greybriar: Try to use this product. It will temporally shut down the unused programs that are loaded at boot up. It works fine, but I would not use it for on-line gaming.
HTTP://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html....
I already had that installed on my PC. Now to remember to use it! :oops:

OnaDeathWish

Post by OnaDeathWish » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a fairly newbie here and have installed and played many of the maps that you all have made and really enjoyed them. :D But i have noticed something on this map that came up when i made my first train. It seems the engines 2nd car isn't appearing correctly, (i have included a picture to show what's happening) it just showing an orange ball after the engine. I tried looking in this thread to see if anyone else had it show up, but i didn't feel like reading all the nonsense that was going on through the other 8-9 pages. I scrolled past them and just looked for a picture that had same problem, and none appeared. So can anyone tell me or help me fix this, i stopped playing it fearing it will eventually cause a crash if i had too many trains out.

Thanks in advance.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

You should have this as the only map inside the usermaps folder...also you must remove anything you have stored in the Custom Assets folder...it too must be empty.

I just tested the mogul and the tender car looked fine. Remove any old FPKs from other maps out of the custom assets or usermap folders, it can cause naming conflicts.

Also, try to attach your screenshots to your posts, that way it sizes them correctly. :)
Attachments
SMRailroads!0000.jpg

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:33 pm

Lowell wrote:You should have this as the only map inside the usermaps folder...also you must remove anything you have stored in the Custom Assets folder...it too must be empty.

I just tested the mogul and the tender car looked fine. Remove any old FPKs from other maps out of the custom assets or usermap folders, it can cause naming conflicts.

Also, try to attach your screenshots to your posts, that way it sizes them correctly. :)

reading of the incident above can be concluded it would never happen if you use the installer to a map, because with the installer all the files needed by the map it will be placed in the appropriate places without being scattered......... :lol:
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:27 am

reading of the incident above can be concluded it would never happen if you use the installer to a map, because with the installer all the files needed by the map it will be placed in the appropriate places without being scattered.........
Wise ancient saying: :mrgreen: There is more than one way to skin a cat :mrgreen:

What you two ought to concentrate on is to standardize the CIC file structure, and come up with an understandable simple guide so that lesser folks can easily understand it.
Jancsika

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 am

There is only One file folder.

You unzip the file and drop the single file folder into a Blank usermaps folder.

This type map cannot be left in the game...nor can you leave any FPKs from "other maps" I don't scatter any files...I only have one file and there is no reason to mess with anything inside that Mud Skippers map folder.

Rodea2007, thanks for your comments, but you make all your maps with multible map-global files and FPKs like the old way of making maps...my maps do not use anything but a single file folder and really doesn't need an installer. Everyone should know how to drag and drop a file folder. Each of my maps are different and require their own space to run in the game.

This is a self-contained map file. It requires the same type RailRoads folder as a Sam map would.

What standard? It is one file folder. :D
I think you have a different question...like how to make file structures like mine...that is a different subject.

The tender model is fine...