Basin And Range map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:07 am

IE :twisted: :evil:

btvsrcks

Problems with the map

Post by btvsrcks » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:16 am

Forgive me, there are nine pages and as I was reading through my eyes started to glaze.. ack.

This map was really fun. I downloaded it and installed it just fine. But there was one problem. I had to get iron. I didn't see anyplace natively on the map, so in my starting city I built a coal to iron smelter(? forgive me, I dont know the terminology) anyway, after I purchased it it showed that I needed either Pellets or what looked like a car, I am guessing auto recycling. The problem? When I tried to get the goods to make pellets in the city near the upper right of the map, I couldn't add cars to the train. I tried several different trains.

Note: I was actually doing quite well on the map. Sorry I don't know the terminology. Can anyone help me out? I can get better details if needed. :)
Thanks in advance.

klifkid

Post by klifkid » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:57 pm

[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9299/problemwg6.png[/img]

nvm the microsoft thing i said.

i need the Basin And Range Assest where do I get it?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:33 pm

The Basin & Range Assets are part of the Installer. Did you download both installer parts and extract them to the same location?
Last edited by Dr Frag on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

klifkid

Post by klifkid » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:48 am

How do I extract it?

( sorry if I seem so stupid I am new at this stuff)

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 am

They are ZIP archives and you must extract the files to a temporary folder so you can install the mod files.

If you are running vanilla XP (no WinZip etc. installed) then double click the first ZIP file and Select the 2 files (Ctrl-A), then Copy them (Ctrl-C), Browse to another folder (or just go up one folder) and Paste them (Ctrl-V).
Now double click the second ZIP file and Select the file (Ctrl-A), then Copy it (Ctrl-C), browse to the same folder where you Pasted the first two files and Paste this file (Ctrl-V).

Now double click the Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0.exe file and the installer will launch.

Good Luck,
DF
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

choobacca

Re: Problems with the map

Post by choobacca » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:47 pm

btvsrcks wrote:Forgive me, there are nine pages and as I was reading through my eyes started to glaze.. ack.

This map was really fun. I downloaded it and installed it just fine. But there was one problem. I had to get iron. I didn't see anyplace natively on the map, so in my starting city I built a coal to iron smelter(? forgive me, I dont know the terminology) anyway, after I purchased it it showed that I needed either Pellets or what looked like a car, I am guessing auto recycling. The problem? When I tried to get the goods to make pellets in the city near the upper right of the map, I couldn't add cars to the train. I tried several different trains.

Note: I was actually doing quite well on the map. Sorry I don't know the terminology. Can anyone help me out? I can get better details if needed. :)
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for inquiring and playing this map.

The steel process on this map starts with Taconite Ore. There are 3 Taconite Ore mines on the map, but you'll want to start with the one in the upper right quarter of the map. The Ore must be delivered to the Pelletizer in Dead Horse where the Ore is processed into Taconite Pellets. Then the Pellets must be delivered to the Steel Mill in Lost Well where they are made into Steel. Now you can deliver Steel to make Autos in Sweetwater, or Abrams Tanks in Cathedral Valley.

Once you start delivering Autos to Cities, Scrap Metal starts appearing in these Cities (old green car icon). Then you can deliver the Scrap Metal back to the Lost Well Steel Mill where it can be recycled into Steel.

This complicated process needs time to develop which makes the Arms and Autos objectives more difficult.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Great to see you in here choobacca! :) Thought everyone has moved on. :lol:

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:11 pm

dwax wrote:Great to see you in here choobacca! :) Thought everyone has moved on. :lol:
I still check in now and then. It has been a busy summer. Hopefully in the fall I'll be back Working on the Railroads!

Jaycephus

thumbs up

Post by Jaycephus » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:07 am

This was the first user mod I've downloaded. Wow. It's great and I'm only halfway done. I just started with default difficulty, but I know I'm going to try it again with harder settings. So far, I've got the first gold and will probably get the second, since I've bought out the AI and have $$$ coming in now.

I've only had a couple of CTD so far, but I had those before with SMR maps at the same frequency. The trick of opening a new game, closing, and opening a save game has worked, when it was necessary. The new industries and how they mix on this map is great. The double engines, new engine and car designs and graphics, and the container port is amazing. Maps like this one make SMR a whole new game.

Minor quibble: There might have been practical considerations, and I realize that most things in SMR are not perfectly to scale, but i think the auto-racks should have been taller relative to the engines. They are made to carry three decks of cars, or two decks of pick-up trucks.

Thanks, guys

D.A

Passenger car missing texture

Post by D.A » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I seem to have the passenger car textures missing, they are a sort of whitish undercoat color, as though they still need to go through the paint shop. Tried a couple of re-installs to no avail.

Any ideas how to fix this. All else seems to be working fine.

Best Regards
D.A

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:13 am

Hello,

I like them personally.

Thats because they are modded for this map. Notice the sfsc_Passenger_Car.kfm and sfsc_Passenger_Car_dummies.nif

see:
RRT_TrainCars_BasinAndRange.xml

Code: Select all

<szName>Passenger Car</szName>
<szGood>Passengers</szGood>
<szModel>sfsc_Passenger_Car.kfm</szModel>
<szDummyModel>sfsc_Passenger_Car_dummies.nif</szDummyModel>
</TrainCar>
The deafault which is in:
RRT_TrainCars.xml

Code: Select all

<szName>Passenger Car</szName>
<szGood>Passengers</szGood>
<szModel>Passenger_Car.kfm</szModel>
<szDummyModel>Passenger_Car_dummies.nif</szDummyModel>
<szIcon>ICON_Car_Passenger.dds</szIcon>
plus extra code 
 </TrainCar>
(dont copy and paste the above code as not complete)

You can change this if you want happy xml modding :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

D.A

Post by D.A » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 am

Hi K-class,

Thanks for the reply. No problems at all, I just thought that they have been a blue or some thing. White is fine by me.

Best Regards
D.A

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 am

Cool, that's one of the best things about this map that they changed the goods cars and added all new trains

just check you have shaders set to Medium might make them look a bit better.

Below the cars match some of the trains.
Attachments
traincar.jpg
traincar.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 11327 times
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

D.A

Post by D.A » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 am

Yep, looks exactly like that. You are right, with this map, there is so much in the way of loco's and so on, a little short on steam (smile), but a good map, long runs.

I have my shaders on high.

Best Regards
D.A