The American Transcontinental Railroad- Version 1.2a Final

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Slappy Da Clown

installer

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:27 pm

ATTENTION

The 1st post does NOT contain the installer at this time. Stormfather & atani are working on getting a good installer. They are havin trouble but will soon have it worked out Im sure. Stormfather put the actual files there for those of you who use them. There is a note in the 1st post if you read it about this issue. I have been waiting for the installer & if like me you dont like to mees with them files, Im sure atani will have one soon.
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

maestro70

things I have noted on the map...

Post by maestro70 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 pm

It seems that steel mines only convert iron into steel, not coal or some mixture of both.

Of the six or seven games I have started the maps resources distribution is really strange, but the only consistent thing I have noticed is, there is always lots of grain (at least half the maps resources), even to the point where in 2 of my games one had no oil on the map and one had no trees (which in the tree case was really bad becasue Boston's main industry wanted trees!).

Being Canadian, I really appreciate the Canadian cities on the map, and I like the "aboot"...all you're missing now is Maple Syrup and Beer, EH!

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:17 pm

Sorry Slappy Da Clown have you dowloaded America 1.2.rar it contains the installer.

Download America 1.2.rar run the installer and this setups the game.

you may still need my global xmls's.

Yes atani needs to update the installer but the above works.

You need to try it all.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 pm

atani

The global gods file had the wrong entries. Atani Im at work and cant use winrar check the global Traincars.xml of mine and see the entry for Machine Car hre is part of the code.

Code: Select all

<szName>Machine Car</szName>  This the correct name
<szGood>Machinery</szGood>
<szModel>Machine_Car.kfm</szModel>
plus the rest of the code 
teh download in post one America 1.2.rar is correct I beleive for all the files and referance except the global goods entry above. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 pm

PS atani the installers are great but the main issue with these is they change things that you cant check.

I would like to see a txt file on what the installer is adding or inserting into the global files as the installers make troubleshooting hard as you dont know what they are doing. Or perhaps we can get some backup automatically done before the installer completes.

Installer should do.
1. back up any global files
2. install the new infomation.

The idea below is for people to try the changes and if they work then you can get the installer updated.

Code: Select all

Instead of passing around a bunch of XML files, tell me what is broken in the installer and I can send you a new one! 
:D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:50 pm

K-class - By 'Installer' we're talking about a ZIP that has 1 program in it that is named Setup_*******.exe. Running this automaticly installs everything needed where it's needed. If I'm not mistaken, any new material that your XMLs do not contain is added at the bottom, except Tender files for dual engines. Yes, it would be nice to know what has been added, but if something is already in an XML, say 5th from the bottom, and the map CTDs, there may be complaints that something was not added since it's not at the bottom. I'm sure Atani checks out his Installers before he uploads them.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Slappy Da Clown

sorry

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:59 pm

I have not downloaded the newest version as I am waiting for atani to make an installer. I was refering to stormfathers statement

"There is currently a problem with the installer. I've posted the scenario files below, however they must be manually installed. Hopefully we'll get an installer working ASAP. Please note that there are two .txt files included in the file below. You must copy and paste the contents into your master files. If you don't know how to do this, ask and I'll post more detailed instructions, or give it a day or two and hopefully we can resolve the issues at hand. "

I copied that directly from his post. So if there is an installer in there I would think it doesnt work correctly yet. I wasnt tryin to offend you I was just tryin to clear up that other guys confusion. Your work on the code is helpful to snoop & atani Im sure but clowns are not that bright I`ll have to wait for the installer.

I threw out all my clubs so id have room for beer in the golf bag
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Thanks Slappy Da Clown no offence takin.

Atani should have done shotly.

Yeah its good to wait for the fixed installer if you dont wont to get into the xml's as we all know xml's are problomatic.

Atani see this post as this needs to be corrected in the global RRT_TrainCars.xml

see this post http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=16591#16591
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:09 am

The new installer will be up soon. I'm very sorry for this mix-up, but the scenario files posted on page 1 work without a problem and the new installer will be up very soon, maybe tomorrow.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:52 pm

Stormfather
No apology necessary. Best map so far.
I'm obviously missing something to do with machinery thats not in your files.
Hopfully, the installer will put in what I'm missing.

Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Pete - the machinery is from the 2 text files that are included with the download where the _SCENARIOS_ folder is. It's step five in the installing instructions on page 1 of this thread.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:17 pm

New version (1.2a) uploaded on page 1. This version has been tested on a clean install and works.

I'm finally done with this map! 8) Here's a preview of my next project:
Attachments
The world famous Orient Express chugs through the Alps in a pre-war Europe.
The world famous Orient Express chugs through the Alps in a pre-war Europe.
Orient Express.JPG (152.67 KiB) Viewed 9703 times

atani

Post by atani » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:56 pm

stormfather wrote:New version (1.2a) uploaded on page 1. This version has been tested on a clean install and works.

I'm finally done with this map! 8) Here's a preview of my next project:
Are you using Lama's Orient Express map? http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?t=754

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Stormfather........The drinks are on me.
Put in your new installer, and got machinery.

Thanks a ton.
Best map going.

Snoopy..........waited for the installer rather then mess with files.
Like Scrooge said; "I'm just too old!"

Pete

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Atani- No, it's an original map. However, I did use Lama's map to figure out what music should go to what region, since I assume he knows a lot more about German music than I do since he fixed it in the first place! I've also checked out Paf-Daddy's germany map, as well as the original Firaxis germany. I actually made my Germany map back in February, but I scrapped it (along with my New York map) when I couldn't get Iron and Machinery implemented. Now that I've got Iron and Machinery working, I'm going back and fixing my first two maps. I'm taking this one a step further, though, as it's going to be three maps in one. The first is a 16x16 map, The German Empire, covering a huge chunk of central Europe and the years 1835 - 1914. The second two are smaller (10x10), and both run from 1945 - 1990. One is West Germany, the other East Germany.

German Empire's done and playtested, the other two are more than halfway there (they run on the same map, albiet a smaller chink cut from the main one). They'll all be released together, since they run off the same .fpk and are thematically linked. I would say something along the lines of 'I hope to have them out by next weekend' but I hate making deadlines because I never keep them.

Once that's all finished, I'll go back and fix my Empire State (NY) map, it's all done but the XML coding is a nightmare (it was my first map.) It crashes constantly, and I reckon I'll have to do the XMLs from scratch. At least the map's finished, though.

And Pete: thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed my map.
Attachments
'German Empire'  (Yes, Germany was a lot bigger back then)
'German Empire' (Yes, Germany was a lot bigger back then)
Empire.JPG (53.53 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
'The Empire State'
'The Empire State'
NY.JPG (52.57 KiB) Viewed 9652 times