Lost Cities SAM

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Jancsika

Lost Cities SAM

Post by Jancsika » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Lost Cities of Mythos V_2_0
Neil Armstrong spotted it from the moon, but the Government, NASA and the CIA keeps it Top-Top secret
Not even the president is given this information:
The light bends around it, so it can not be seen from an orbital sattelite, gravity and magnetic field is also bend around it so navigating ships and airplains can not approach it.
UNTIL NOW.
Our own Mr Magoo discovered it that a ship built entirely from non magnetic, organic materials is not influenced by these forces and was able with his pickaroons to land on this island and plunder its enormas wealth. He found all the lost cities of the legends to be true, Cibola, Tartessos, Lemuria, they are all there.
This is 12 X 12 map but only nine cities. It emphasizes track layout not unlike a model railroad would. Tunnels and steel bridges are very expensive (100X), so you should avoid them. There is plenty of room between cities, so with a little foresight you can have a neat layout.
There is only enough building spot left to build the scenario-required industries. The lumber industry is strictly for filling empty building spots. There is no profit from them.
You can make enough money from hauling mail.
The cities produce passengers for industry needs, _oil,_mining _ but will not accept passengers, so do not try to haul passengers from one city to the other. It will not pay.
The villages have to grow to size 1 or 2 before you will be able to build an industry.
There are two eras. Era 1 is for groving the cities to at least size 2.
Era 2 is to produce gold, treasure and plunder!!!!!
There are six city sizes, 0-5 Metropolis is size 5.
Have fun.
Jancsika :wink:
Cities.jpg
SMRailroads!0008.jpg
Attachments
download_Lost_Cities_Fixed_V_2_0.rar
(806 Bytes) Downloaded 1972 times
Last edited by Jancsika on Sat May 08, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added new Download location

Jancsika

Re: Lost Cities SAM

Post by Jancsika » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:17 pm

Here is the final:
This is SAM map, so be sure that you have a clean installation.(No other maps in the UserMaps or in the CustomAssets folder, and load only one of the versions at a time,)
This is the fixed industries version. A Random Industry version will be coming
Have fun:
Jancsika
Last edited by Jancsika on Sat May 08, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added new dowload location in first post

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks Jancsika,

I started it and immediately tried to dig a tunnel and found it cost 87 million for a 4 mile tunnel? And similar prices for bridges lol. Okay I'll have to come back when I have more time and let you know how it goes :)
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Looks like I'll pull it off, Just finished first set of conditions and 2nd ones are almost complete.

Very cool, very fun map, takes a while to figure out what makes what. If I beat it, it was on the 3rd try. And I just used the preset conditions, I think it was Mogul with 3 opponents (AI).

Also, Just noticed there is one mistake: Last goal says "ship 10 pickaroons, but then below it says "shipped x/25"... They should be consistent of course.

I really like all the new resources, you're skills are impressive Jancsika
Attachments
R2R part 1.jpg
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:09 pm

This could clearly have all the objectives beat by the first deadline (1992), I only missed it as it took me a while to figure out the corn/grain fertilizer issues, but still almost made it. Again, this was on the 3rd attempt.
So as I said, bridges aren't necessary but I still think they're prettier lol. This map is a mess due to the lack of tunnels and iron bridges in my opinion. But still quite doable, and one of the most fun maps I've played.

I hope Jancsika continues to crank out stuff like this, very very cool, perhaps better than any of the game scenarios (built in).

Anyway, Here are some tips since it sounds like others had difficulty with this: First, routing is no problem at all on this map, only the clock, that's the real challenge. Get 2 mail routes going (hopefully one with oil in middle so you can use passengers also---one train making 4 stops per route, 4M4P to oil, dumps passengers, to other city, dumps mail, picks up mail and passengers, back to oil, dumps Passengers, back to original city, dumps mail, picks up P and M, repeat). Once you have 2 trains going on decent routes, immediately make your first objective buying out the 3 AI. Once they are bought, you now have additional routes in locations you need (naturally, this is an exception to my "always liquidate them" rule, you obviously want to merge with the others. You should have about 11-10 years left on the first part when you buy out the last AI and that is now plenty of time to complete both parts before 1992 in my opinion.

Hope that helps. I did post the routing picture below to see how I did it. I think the most complicated city might have had 6 trains going into it.

Again...very cool, you rock Jancsika
Attachments
R2R routespic.jpg
R2R routes.jpg
R2R part 2.jpg
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Also take note that there was no pausing, except at the end when I took the screenshots and the last few years were done in fastforward as it takes a while to hit those 75s.
I did this with an average of 25 trains (26 was the max at one point) but recommend deleting certain routes after you finish part 1 and double up on some, I like I had 2 oil-fertilizer routes going to agatha to speed up the corn production.

If you need any shots of any specific areas/cities just ask, I saved it.
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm

I was trying this again on tycoon and wanted to try something out: I made sure I got all my shares, then attacked the leading AI. Got about 6 of his shares. He began buying a 2nd AI's stock. So I bought half the 2nd AIs stock also, AI 1 owned the other 5. I waited, sure enough, AI 1 bought out AI 2....which paid me about 6.5M, enough to buy out AI 1 who owned 2 of them at that point....nice strategy trick to speed up the purchase stage.
-Bob the Lunatic

miter69

Post by miter69 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:55 pm

I could not for the life of me find a demand for moccasins...everything else was just fine, this map is a completly different game...and a very good one at that...BUT what the *&%$ do I do with those moccasins? I fear I am missing something obvious here.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 am

you take em to lyoness
-Bob the Lunatic

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:05 am

I could not for the life of me find a demand for moccasins...everything else was just fine, this map is a completly different game...and a very good one at that...BUT what the *&%$ do I do with those moccasins? I fear I am missing something obvious here.
Moccasins go to the distribution center, just like the Rum, Feta Cheese and Paper and will be converted to Manufactured Goods.

For everybody! :D thanks for the nice comments. :D I am trying to be different.
Jancsika :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 pm

Hey Jancsika,

How can I get this to work on multiplayer? Tried the random one (obviously preferred for this purpose)...but crashed 5x in a row. Something I'm doing wrong? Plz help
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Your opponent must have the map to play against you.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 am

But on most maps, Only the host needs it, I've played many maps where the others didn't have it, I just hosted it, worked fine....are you sure?
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:54 am

Were they all from a self installer? I tink CICs and Sams work differently. I remember playing on a few of the early maps from the first wiki that were hosted online. I haven't played a Sam or CIC online though.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:31 am

How can I get this to work on multiplayer? Tried the random one (obviously preferred for this purpose)...but crashed 5x in a row. Something I'm doing wrong? Plz help
Honestly I don't know.
So lets hear from the experts!

I was wondering about that,because my next map I am planning to make would be a Multiplayer 20 X 20 North America Map.
I would like to hear from the multiplayer ( on Line) folks myself.
I figured that they dont't need an elaborate scenario, only the starting date and finish date.
Probably will need several equally uniform starting location, so not to give too much adventage to one or the other player.

I need to know what is better; set industries or random industries. Keep in mind that for to randomise it, there can be no more than 12 in-city industry in the game.

The standard Firaxis game is only 10 X 10. A 20 x 20 map is 4X as big. Can it be handled on-line?
Etc...etc...
Jancsika
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Jancsika on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.