3 New Maps and a few questions

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
jowe10

3 New Maps and a few questions

Post by jowe10 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:17 pm

First off I want to thank all those who have posted information. I am new to this and not a programmer but was able to create several maps that I have been using on my computer. I am going to share a few here and ask a few questions from the experts.

First map, Ohio_large is an Ohio map 15X15. I like the larger maps which allow you to place cities and industries a little farther apart for more of a challenge. This map runs fine, for the most part, on my development computer and on a second computer with a clean install that I use to test. I did find that late in the game if I try to add a tannery (the one in the game at start works fine) I will CTD. The only thing I ever see in any logs is:

[31592.109] ERR: FSharedSoundData::Load: Could not read file SmallClink.
[31592.109] ERR: FAudioManager::LoadContext(): Could not load soundId 3.

in the audio log. Does this mean anything to anyone? Is there better information somewhere?

The next two maps are both Africa. One is a 10x10 for beginners and the other is 15 x 15 for more advanced. Both are very similar. The smaller map, Africa_Diamonds, works fine on one computer but CTDs on the other on load. Hoping someone here can teach me a few things about troubleshooting so I can fix this. I have sorted through many bugs in my own testing, but can't find this one. So just a warning to everyone, Africa_diamonds does have a known bug in it that may cause it not to work on your machine.

Some general questions:

Does anyone have a fairly easy way to add graphics such as the wolf or bear decoration, or a new annex type, or is anyone a graphic artist who may be working on some of these things that can be incorporated into new maps? I thought about making the Africa maps based on mining diamonds and collecting animals for shipments to zoos, but the graphics part got me. I read all the posts and the wiki, but I still couldn't produce good work.

Is there a way to get an individual city to accept a good? For example, rather than having to set all metropolis to accept gold, make it so that only a specific city accepts gold?

Lastly, does anyone know where all the "hidden" information is regarding maps on your computer. The issue I have is that I have made many maps, and the first few tries need to be deleted. I have deleted the SMR files in the usermaps directory, and the folders themselves, but they keep showing up in the game (and all messed up). I want to remove these maps compeltely.

I have read all the installer posts and really it was too much for me at this time. I am not sure exactly what I should do with the installers. I just extracted the folders and "*.SMR_Scenario" file to the "UserMaps" folder on a second computer with a clean install and everything worked. Maybe someone here can help out with installation notes.

I hope people enjoy the maps. If anyone has ideas for enhancements let me know.

note: replaced Africa Diamonds SAM zip ..... Tazz
Attachments
Africa_Diamonds_SAM.zip
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 503 times
Africa_Diamonds.jpg
Africa_Diamonds.jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 11991 times
Africa_Challenge_SAM.zip
(3 MiB) Downloaded 465 times
Africa_Challenge.jpg
Africa_Challenge.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 11991 times
Ohio_Large.rar
Ohio map 15x15 for more advanced players as cities and industries are spread out for more of a challenge
(774.22 KiB) Downloaded 632 times
Africa_Challenge.rar
This is a 15x15 map of Africa meant for more experienced players as cities and industries are more spread out
(413.78 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
Africa_Diamonds.rar
a 10x10 map of Africa for beginners - note, I have had a problem with this map and hope someone may be able to solve it. Works on one computer but not the other.
(234.51 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:34 am

First thing I noticed, the Iron Mine is not a standard resource that came with the game and must be installed if you want to use it so that is one reason it doesn't work with the clean install system.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:30 am

Thanks jowe10 :) Will give these a try. dose the Metal Factory folder in Ohio Large go into Custom Assets?

dick810

ohio

Post by dick810 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 pm

tried to run this game didn't get beyond the splash screen and crashed there was a mention on iron ore not regular i have got many maps installed
amd 3500 64
2 gig memory
200 and 13 gig hard drive
fx 5200 256 meg
on board soound
dsl
dvd and cd burner
and a ancient 1.44 floppy which i keep tansplanting

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:42 am

I just tried the Ohio large and it opened up just fine. Going to go play it. :lol: You do have to put the Metal Factory folder in Customs Assets for the map to work.
Attachments
Ohio large.JPG
Ohio large.JPG (130.34 KiB) Viewed 13048 times

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:10 am

I see the Africa_Diamonds 10X10 map has a missing somthing for the Iron Mine. You just get a red blob.
Attachments
Iron Mine.JPG
Iron Mine.JPG (117.57 KiB) Viewed 13038 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:17 am

Yes, as I mentioned the Iron Mine is in a mod somewhere that needs to be installed.

Also Ohio Large requires Super Bowl Express to be installed as it requires the Tannery and Football Factory from it.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:58 am

The Iron Mine was created by d53642 in his MID EAST map. :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:50 pm

snoopy55 wrote:The Iron Mine was created by d53642 in his MID EAST map. :twisted:
So do you need the MID EAST map? Is that why I have the red blob?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 pm

In a word, yes. Or you could just add the Iron Mine resources but that would be tricky.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:46 am

A beautiful set of maps, beautiful. And with Scenarios like those, you would be a good one to go thru existing maps and write Scenarios for those without them, or write up new ones. :D

To try to answer your questions: :evil:
The only way to get a specific city to take a specific good and no other city to get it is to put at least three industries in each city. You cannot build a fourth. YOU can put in more than three, but the player cannot. (unless he edits the map) :twisted:
If you removed the SMR and the Folder, I cannot see where you are getting any maps from. They only work from the UserMaps, the _SCENARIOS_ folders in the original game folder and the '\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_'. You could note the map name and do a search for a folder by that name, that may give you an answer. 8)

A few things to look at on the maps : :twisted:
Ohio Large - thankfully you gave us the Metal Factory folder from MID_EAST. The problem comes in that a person loading your map has to have the RRT_ Goods, Industries and TrainCars XML parts in thier GLOBALS for it to work, OR the needed coding needs to be in your maps XML of those three names. If you have these in your GLOBALS from loading MID_EAST, it is better to just inform the user to install the MID_EAST map and go from there. If they don't want that map then they can delete it afterward. There are only ten needed maps to get all the GLOBALS. The full breakdown of the 'Cowhides' and 'Footballs' you have is not needed as it too is in the GLOBALS. Another thing that alot of new map makers are doing is using master XMLs and not editing them for unneeded content. If you open the Goods list on the map you find everything you need, and everything you don't need. This can also cause a problem with building Industries in a city as when you look to build one you are only shown 12 and there exists 28 Industries at this time, which makes it possibly that any you use on your map would not show up! Not probable, but possible! Attached you will find a file called RealityMapRequirementsMaster.txt. In it you will find a 'base' list of finished goods, the industries needed, the initial goods needed and the train cars needed. If you print these out, slip them between plastic and get an erasable marker, you can use them to work out the needs of any map. Yes, there will be things like 'I want Grain to my Dairies and Nitrates to my Farms', but hey, I can only do the basics. If you watch the forum like I have, you can update it at any time. The Events columns are for noting whether events have been created for that particular item.
The two Africa maps need the same thing done to them. Something you could add to this is a set of Events written for Africa. I did this in the re-write of the Middle East map. Take specific existing Events, rename them as Africa and change the jist of them to match.

As to the Installers, I tried one once, but was to in much of a hurry. :oops: Let the dust settle from the testing of your maps before you attempt the Installers. We have two ( :?: ) who are well versed in Installers. I'm not sure if you came across the two Zips that atani posted for me in the Middle East Final Beta Released thread. These can be edited to make almost any map. If you want to learn, start a thread under Strategy and maybe I and a couple others can help work it out.

As to installation notes, You need MID_EAST or Middle East (not sure which) and you can put the map folders in UserMaps or _SCENARIOS_.

I hope I've helped you with this and not caused any hurt. :twisted:
Attachments
RealityMapRequirementsMaster.zip
(1018 Bytes) Downloaded 467 times

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:02 pm

New maps <drool>... we really need a drool icon :) So far I've played Ohio and had a blast. Love it!!! :) I'm now halfway through Africa challenge and enjoying it as well. This place has been rather quiet the last several months so it's really nice to have something to not only play but talk about. Thanks for making and posting them. You did a great job on not only the artwork but the scenerio's as well. :lol: :D

jowe10

Post by jowe10 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:28 am

Thanks for the comments CeeBee51 and snoopy55, and the help Dr Frag and snoopy55. :D

I have a new map I am testing and will post this weekend. I have only used items that are contained in the base game so hopefully everyone can play without installation or CTD issues. I will get fancier after I learn a little more (learned my lesson on this one).

snoopy55, if there are a few specific maps you would like me to look at and write scenarios for let me know.

If anyone has an idea for a map they think everyone would enjoy let me know and I will take a shot at it. I did see a suggestion in the forums about a lower Alaska and Western U.S. map, but when I looked into it I thought that too much of the playable map was lost in water.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:55 pm

I brought up the Scenarios because it has been brought up by others many times. Scenarios change a map. Even a map that has one is changed because you now have different towns to grow and different goods to move and anything else. It can become a different world. I think you'll get some other replies from that post. Dwax has made note of wanting new Scenarios written. :twisted:

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:57 am

snoopy55 wrote: Dwax has made note of wanting new Scenarios written. :twisted:
I did?? :shock: I don't remember, what did I say? :lol: