Basin And Range map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Sun May 13, 2007 2:46 am

I agree, choobacca, the engine combos and skins are awesome. I dig all the different choices. Played the map almost till the end and all ran fine, missed two goals though. Only problem now is every map I save and then try to reload that save, it CTD's, other than that all other maps and everything else works except all the saves.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 PC2 4200 SDRAM 533 Mhz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sun May 13, 2007 2:47 am

K-class wrote:...This game drives you mad sometimes, map would not reload (tried 3 times) so I started again on this map as new game and after a few minutes quit to main menu and was able to reload my saved map. Now back to playing.
I save to a different filename every 10 minutes or so when I have put a lot of time into it. I am usually able to load one of them, even after an hour or so of playing the map.

ace13567

Post by ace13567 » Sun May 13, 2007 3:01 am

snoopy55 wrote:I attempted to play the game and got the map below. I uped my virtual to 4Gb and uped my memory to 3Gb, same thing.
i have the same problem

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun May 13, 2007 3:28 am

This is a beautiful map. The models are exquisite. Very well done. I know this must have taken some work to complete...job well done. I love the models and map.
Attachments
SMRailroads!0003.jpg
SMRailroads!0003.jpg (293.94 KiB) Viewed 10407 times
SMRailroads!0006.jpg
SMRailroads!0006.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 10408 times

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun May 13, 2007 3:52 am

Yes as per Lowell congrats choobacca and Big Papa

I have no more CTD's since and have got as far as the warbonnet train and are shipping all goods.

A few trains got lost and I deleted them and set them back up on there right course.

I never thought I would say it but I'm nearly over diesel trains :D

Truly choobacca and Big Papa amazing job on all the trains and goods cars.
:D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:38 am

ace13567 - it is as choobacca pointed out to me, and I found out before that by doing a stupid thing....I read the instructions on the first post. :roll: Sorry chewy, I should have mentioned it, but things have been crazy with my family and my siblings.

I will say one thing to you chewy, I learned after 6 or 7 tries, hit the Enter key after every change you make in those blasted NIF and KFM files. If you don't, they show on the screen, but do not become part of the file. I changed the one in yours and it works ok now.

As to the map itself...people, ain't nuttin perfect! There are going to be problems. One bad thing about this game is you (at least I) can't get 2 copies of it on your system at the same time. If you could it would allow you a clean build ability and still be able to have a FULL set of all the maps on your system to test it out. Also, if you have made any changes in anything in the game, you cannot expect the creaters to account for it. I found this out when I was playing with some XMls and when I went to play Alaska, it crashed! Undid what I was playing with and all was well. There needs to be posted a list of maps that HAVE to be in a game when you create a map, those which do not use only the original files. In this way the creater will have a better test for his map.

And while it seemed OK to remove the original uploaded map files, I'm finding it a problem now. If I need to look into a map and it's workings I may find it nessesary to download a fresh copy. With only the Installers available I have to reinstall it and that can cause problems. The latest version of both files and Setup need to be on the first post. This makes them both available to those with a preference and new people don't go running thru a thread downloading everything they find. We just had a case of someone who was having problems getting the ChoobaccaPak files to work when he had already installed the map and it wasn't needed. If nothing else, the posts need to be given a note in red that they are no longer needed. But leave them as someone may want to look and learn.

If you do your own installer, put the original files and data up also.

As to this installer, it could be rewritten so that it doesn't unzip and move the FPKs. Put those in a ZIP to be unzipped into CustomAssets and let the Installer do the map and Globals.

And, (this is not aimed directly at you Choobacca and Big Papa) you always need to research all existing materials in the GLOBALS. I plan on doing some sheets like I use for working with mapping. I thought I had already posted them but I may be wrong. The problem with them is that they will have to be updated each time new stuff is made. They only deal with Goods, Annexes, Industries, Traincars and Products. If someone wants to do one for Engines and Tenders, go for it, they will also be needed.

picks up his new titanium soap box and exits, stage left.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sun May 13, 2007 6:31 am

Just an FYI, you can open the Installer files with 7-zip and extract whatever you want. Not as cleanly as original files cuz of all the installer related stuff in them but all the files are in there.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 am

I did a little digging. I was perplexed with the idea of not being able to get back to my saved Basin maps as others have noted. I used the Scenario Manager and at first saw nothing wrong. Then I clicked on the Taconite Mine under the Industries tab. It kept giving me errors like it didn't exist in the globals as a valid industry. I found that with having the ChicagoToTheRockies map, I already had an entry for a Taconite mine, ore and a car too. This gave me two entrys for the same named industry and two cars named the same...both listed on the same global industries and train cars lists but yet using different models and such. No wounder the game was confused :) So I deleted the entrys for the mine and car from my globals that were from the ChicagoToTheRockies map that were listed inside the globals...went back and started doing some tests.

Now I can now save the Basin maps and go in and out as much as I want. Also other "crash troubles" have disappeared as well from other maps. So there is nothing wrong with the map...just a few doubled up names and such. So I will use just one global entry for that industry and use the one car for any/all taconite mines.

EDIT//Maybe we need a "master list" of industries and such that have/will be created? This might help others that are looking to make new maps in the future.

EDIT//EDIT//I guess I didn't read your post very well last night Snoopy55...it seems that there may be a master list for cars and industries already. I haven't seen where it is. Maybe I glanced over it in the Wiki? As to your last joke comment about the Titanium soapbax... :) I have Titanium as a new industry and train car for my Florida map...I will for sure check the master list, if there is one already I will either use that one or rename mine to something unique.
Last edited by Lowell on Sun May 13, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun May 13, 2007 5:58 pm

I can't load a saved game either. The only way I can is to load a new game then open up the saved game then load it. :(

tomasvicente38

Post by tomasvicente38 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Very good map, there am it been playing and I have amused much until gaining the victory.
Attachments
Victory.
Victory.
RailRoads 2007-05-13 21-24-22-28.jpg (702.89 KiB) Viewed 10339 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon May 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Hmm, in trying to get this all working it seems we have three methods to produce Steel. The original Coal-->Steel and now Taconite Ore-->Taconite Pellets-->Steel as well as Iron Ore-->Steel. Am I right? Are there any other Goods that have multiple methods to produce them? Food is like that but it has seperate industries for Grain-->Food, Corn-->Food, Livestock-->Food, and Milk-->Food, etc. but we only have one Steel Mill for all three methods mentioned above and this is a little frustrating when I'm trying to Globalize this stuff. :/

EDIT: I seem to be missing something. I see Scrap Metal can also be recycled into Steel but I can't find where it comes from. I see the Scrap Metal TrainCar, the Scrap Metal Good, but I can't find a listing for a Scrap Metal Industry/Resource. What is supposed to produce Scrap Metal?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 pm

<Good>
<szName>Gold</szName>
<szClass>Mail</szClass>
</Good>
Why is Gold listed as a class mail on this map? What will that do?
Is this anouther typo?

I noticed that the basin demo map is shut-off by installing the new map. I can't even get it to show up on my playable maps in-game so I removed it from the list.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi Lowell, according to Snoopy:

the <szClass>Mail</szClass> after the Gold gives it a mail shipping ability. It can be shipped with mail and passengers or on a train of it's own without slowing down the train like a freight class would do.

Sounds plausible, I did not test it, however. :P

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon May 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Dr Frag wrote:Hmm, in trying to get this all working it seems we have three methods to produce Steel. The original Coal-->Steel and now Taconite Ore-->Taconite Pellets-->Steel as well as Iron Ore-->Steel. Am I right? Are there any other Goods that have multiple methods to produce them? Food is like that but it has seperate industries for Grain-->Food, Corn-->Food, Livestock-->Food, and Milk-->Food, etc. but we only have one Steel Mill for all three methods mentioned above and this is a little frustrating when I'm trying to Globalize this stuff. :/

EDIT: I seem to be missing something. I see Scrap Metal can also be recycled into Steel but I can't find where it comes from. I see the Scrap Metal TrainCar, the Scrap Metal Good, but I can't find a listing for a Scrap Metal Industry/Resource. What is supposed to produce Scrap Metal?
Scrap metal is a secondary product made at the auto plant.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Tue May 15, 2007 12:31 am

Scrap metal is produced by cities and metros that recieve autos.