Basin And Range map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sat May 12, 2007 10:26 pm

Guys,

First off, sorry for all the problems, but great investigative work guys.
I have been frantically investigating and trying to fix the problems you are reporting. I uploaded a patch (v1.0a) to the first post with the installers that fixes the missing texture files for the Nitrates car, fixed the XML for the Taconite cars so it won't interfere with the Chicago To The Rockies map, and also fixed crashes when having freight trains pull passenger cars. I have also attached the contents of the patch in this Rar file.

These are the only problems I saw with the initial install. I don't know why the map crashes upon loading for others. Other active global files in another map perhaps?

To be honest, I only tested this map with the latest maps including Arizona, America, and Germany. And you do have to be careful when running some of these maps together as I have found out.

I hope everyone made backups of their maps directories before installing this beast. I would be curious to see if anyone is having problems if this is their only map installed.

And I don't know why save games don't always load properly. Some of mine load, but some don't. Keep multiple saves, and try loading them multiple times. Sometimes they work.

There is a ton of custom content in this map, so if anyone has any questions, just ask. I hope I, and all the experts trying this map, can fix all the problems and have something ready for the general public soon.

Lowell:
I don't have any problems with the installer, but I know your point. For some, the installer is perfect, but for modders like yourself, you would rather know what is going into your XMLs so you can monitor it better. All my files are in the Rar attachments I am posting. On page 2 of this thread are the initial 3 Rar files with all the XML and FPKs, and here are the patch files. So everything Big Papa and I have done is contained in the Rar files. And we definitely need to make sure we aren't stepping on names as this would cause problems and crashes too.
Attachments
CustomAssets.rar
Patch v1.0a contents. The Installer for this patch is on the first post of this thread.
(129.56 KiB) Downloaded 512 times

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sat May 12, 2007 10:36 pm

gforce wrote:could you just post:
all the files used for this map
means:
all the local_map_files,
all the global_files
and the fpk (those are already posted)

does the installer option of an other dir works, notmally the installer installs in the custom assets etc... ignoring my specified folder...

... kind of stupid to have an installer-only-version when it is advissable to backup everything,
moving 1 folder is and will allways be the best way! or do we all enjoy backing up the whole custom assets folder???

keep up the mess?
gforce,
I have posted all files in the 3 Rar attachments on page 2 and another on the previous post. So if you use 7-Zip, you should be able to extract all the content.

Also, you could get the same result if you run the installers and specify a TEST directory as the installer uses the directory you specify. This will give you the same set of files as extracting the Rar archives.
And make sure you grab the v1.0a Patch.

I should have said, make a backup of your map directories since this was the first release and I knew there would be problems. Once the bugs are all fixed, this map will work without having to copy maps in and out.
Since I know you are proud of your map management, I won't say any more.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sat May 12, 2007 10:41 pm

HisAlterEgo wrote:I noticed there was no uninstaller with this, do we just delete this particular scenario and replace our custom assests folder with the back up I thankfully made?

I'll also try using your provided custom assests folder and see if that works.

Looks like it put all the fpk's in mine and I deleted the Basin and Range Demo map thinking there may be a conflict but to no avail.
No uninstaller. You can just delete the map directory. Since all the global XML entries reference the FPK files, you will need to keep these installed together incase future maps use these as well. Otherwise you would have to clean your global XML files in order to remove the big FPK files.

The BasinAndRangeDemo map won't interfere with this one.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sat May 12, 2007 10:45 pm

snoopy55 wrote:I attempted to play the game and got the map below. I uped my virtual to 4Gb and uped my memory to 3Gb, same thing.
Snoopy,
The flooding problems on the map is caused by Low Shaders not handling certain map textures correctly. Change your Shaders setting to Medium in the Graphics settings of the game.
Big Papa and I will try to post a map that works with Low Shaders, or grab one from the BasinAndRangeDemo map thread as a couple were uploaded there.

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat May 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Thanks choobacca will update and go play.

This prob more a SMR thing???

No tunnels just trains and track going through hills. I noticed this on this map 3 times now. Yes careful placing of track does avoid this sometimes like in this example. (set to med shaders)
Attachments
RailRoads tunnell.jpg
RailRoads tunnell.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 10783 times
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Sat May 12, 2007 11:38 pm

I finally got this map to load and so far this map plays fine. As snoopy said earlier, I too already had the Taconite cars from another map but the models were different, so I just copy/pasted the cars from your map to my global RRT_Traincars.xml and have both versions. I also deleted all the tender car references from the RRT_Traincars_Basin&Range.xml and it all works so far.

The only thing I noticed is that I tried to play a saved game from another map and it CTD'd. However, I can load any map and start over at the beginning of each.

I haven't tried the freight engine with passenger cars yet or hauling taconite, but if I run into problems I'll try using your updated info and get back to you.
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 PC2 4200 SDRAM 533 Mhz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home

gforce

Post by gforce » Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 pm

i'll give it a try...
it's not about pride, it's just the best way to provide them both, with install and without,
so without discussion either...

i will surely run into the same problem with shader-map-problem, i will change that myself, like last time, but i hope you can figure out an official map to get it posted for others and with better visuals as my try-outs with more default grass on the map....

ps: thanx, for making this map! :wink:

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun May 13, 2007 1:06 am

Hello choobacca what have you done now?

Followed all you instructions from the first post deleted the current map and went through as instructed inc the new patch and map CTD's on startup.

All your new instructions. So I am back to square one again.

I think you need the help of snoopy55 and atani to get a installer to install this map.

The installers and the zips method is not working. I still had to download on prev page the 3 files to get the FPK files

After putting these back in the map now starts up which is where I was 2 pages back.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun May 13, 2007 1:55 am

CTD on connecting to the container port, now saved map wont load. :(
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun May 13, 2007 1:59 am

I CTDed at the port as well but all I had to do was reload and it ran fine.

gforce

Post by gforce » Sun May 13, 2007 2:07 am

for those having problems with traincars and map-shading problem or dissaperaing tracks etc... (k-class fe):
1 - replace original with this traincars file (i just commented out the tendercars)
2 - replace original map with this one (i replaced some textures with grass, so yes it looks more green but no problem anymore with water and flipping clifs...)

for the rest no problems (yet) except i didn't played so well so didn't reach the first era goals, and didn't played further, so no yet transported some goods (if trains are expensive playing on a higher difficulty will cost you alot more....)
Attachments
traincars_with tenders in comment.zip
the traincars without tenders
(916 Bytes) Downloaded 429 times
map_BasinAndRange.zip
the map with more grass
(505.49 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 am

Hello gforce

This game drives you mad sometimes, map would not reload (tried 3 times) so I started again on this map as new game and after a few minutes quit to main menu and was able to reload my saved map. Now back to playing.

Will try you alterations but would mean starting again I will do this later on today but thanks for this.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun May 13, 2007 2:20 am

Bailed in to it. :lol: The install went just fine. Been playing without any problems. But I missed my duals, so I tried to add them with no success. :lol: So I went in and changed the dates and WOW! Do you have some nice engines in there!! :shock: Went and tried my saved game and it crashed. I figurer that was because I opened up the round house. :lol:
Attachments
duals_1.JPG
duals_1.JPG (122.18 KiB) Viewed 10719 times
duals_2.JPG
duals_2.JPG (128.21 KiB) Viewed 10721 times

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sun May 13, 2007 2:34 am

K-class wrote:Hello choobacca what have you done now?

Followed all you instructions from the first post deleted the current map and went through as instructed inc the new patch and map CTD's on startup.

All your new instructions. So I am back to square one again.

I think you need the help of snoopy55 and atani to get a installer to install this map.

The installers and the zips method is not working. I still had to download on prev page the 3 files to get the FPK files

After putting these back in the map now starts up which is where I was 2 pages back.
If the installers don't work for you, I don't recommend going back and trying them again. Keep using the Rar archives. I will keep uploading both installers and Rar files and you can pick the installation method that works for you.

All:
If you are having problems running the map, I recommend isolating it from other maps and see if problems still exist. It is hard for me to help when I don't know what everyone's map directory looks like.
The biggest problem that still exists is savegames not loading consistently.
Other than this, what else? I tested connecting to the port and loading container cars, and it looked good to me.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sun May 13, 2007 2:41 am

dwax wrote:Bailed in to it. :lol: The install went just fine. Been playing without any problems. But I missed my duals, so I tried to add them with no success. :lol: So I went in and changed the dates and WOW! Do you have some nice engines in there!! :shock: Went and tried my saved game and it crashed. I figurer that was because I opened up the round house. :lol:
Dwax,
Thanks for trying this map. I knew you couldn't resist.
We have lots of engine and dual combinations, and with the mix of 25 paint schemes, the engines are the best part of the map. Not every engine has a dual, so don't think they aren't installed. There are different engines dualed together, and different paint schemes dualed together. So your roundhouse will become filled with options to choose from.