Basin And Range map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
choobacca

Basin And Range map

Post by choobacca » Fri May 11, 2007 4:54 pm

Basin And Range map v1.0
by Choo-Papa Enterprises (choobacca & Big Papa)

This was a huge project putting this map together. It includes:
25 real-world engine paint schemes from the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF), the Burlington Northern Railway (BN), and the merged Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway (BNSF).
18 new train cars either slightly modified or totally overhauled, most painted with Santa Fe, BN, or BNSF decals.
5 new goods
6 new or modified industries
Various gameplay changes

The scenario includes 2 eras spanning a time frame from 1950-2015 and includes 8 obtainable objectives. The objectives are general enough for you to decide how to complete them because we wanted you to enjoy playing this map instead of being too focused on remembering objectives. A couple objectives involve prerequisites, so you will need to start on them early.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
The installer is contained in the 3 attached zip files. Download ALL 3 zip files and extract to get 4 files:
1. Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0.exe
2. BasinAndRangeAssets.7z.001
3. B&R v1.0 Release Notes.txt
4. Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0a_Patch.exe

Make sure these 4 files are in the same directory, and run Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0.exe.
When this installer is done, run Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0a_Patch.exe.

The installer will install to any directory you choose, but it will assume it is your CustomAssets directory and create an XML directory for the XML and map files. When in doubt, accept the default.

The map's FPK asset files are compressed in a multi-volume 7-Zip archive, so the installer will launch 7-Zip, extract the files, and copy them to the install directory you had specified. A DOS window will pop up when this happens, so don't be alarmed. After this, a ton of entries will be made to the Global XML files to set up the new Trains, TrainCars, Goods, Industries, Depots, and Names.

This map should play nicely with others, but if you are nervous, it is a good idea to just rename or back up your current CustomAssets directory.

NOTE: The map includes a lot of detailed textures that only work with the Shaders graphics setting at Medium. I will try to post a map that will work with Low Shaders soon.

Thanks for checking out Basin And Range v1.0. We hope you enjoy it!

EDIT1: Uploaded new BasinAndRangeInstaller1.zip that fixes an invalid character in the Scenario xml file. Should not affect gameplay, but just a problem trying to view and edit the file.

EDIT2: Added v1.0a patch file that adds the missing Clothing SPEC and NORM files for the Nitrates car, fixed the Taconite car loading crashes, and fixed Passenger/Mail car loading crashes.

EDIT3: Here are links to the RAR files for this map in case you don't want to use the installer but would rather move things on your own.
Main install: http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 7604#17604
Patch for Main install: http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 7675#17675
Possible fix for Low Shaders: http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 7701#17701
Attachments
Setup_BasinAndRange_1.0a_Patch.zip
Patch fixes Nitrates, Taconite, and Passenger/Mail car problems and crashes.
(181.84 KiB) Downloaded 2066 times
BasinAndRangeInstaller2.zip
Basin And Range map installer part 2 of 2.
(14 MiB) Downloaded 1798 times
BasinAndRangeInstaller1.zip
Basin And Range map installer part 1 of 2.
Fixed Scenarios XML file reporting invalid character.
(12.05 MiB) Downloaded 1836 times
Dual GP7s in the ATSF Zebra paint scheme pulling Autorack cars.
Dual GP7s in the ATSF Zebra paint scheme pulling Autorack cars.
Zebra-Autoracks.jpg (232.26 KiB) Viewed 20508 times
Basin And Range map overview picture.
Basin And Range map overview picture.
basin_and_range_map.jpg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 20512 times
Last edited by choobacca on Sun May 13, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri May 11, 2007 5:02 pm

Woot! woot!

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Yippy! Thanks guys! :D :P :lol:

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri May 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Just started my railroad so far I've only had money for one train and to stations.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Fri May 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Those autorack cars look awesome! Downloading now...

Code: Select all

If you have trouble installing the downloaded files right out of your download manager, take them both out of the download manager and put them both in the same folder (or on the desktop), then launch the installer.  Worked fine for me.
Everything was going fine until I tried to assign a GP-7 Dual Zebra to a train fullof paper; then I got a CTD and now, oddly enough, my savegames are also causing a crash, even one that happened well before I built the paper train. I'm gonna clear out my customassets folder and reinstall B&R, I have a feeling there's some conflict going on in there.

Looks like there's a conflict with a GP7 Zebra dual hauling passengers.
Last edited by stormfather on Fri May 11, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Ok not good CTD on startup

check with notepad ++ get line 184 not well formed (invalid token)

RRT_Scenario_User_BasinAndRange.xml

<szNewspaperTextSuccess>The M1A1 Main Battle Tank weighs 67 tons and has 1500HP with max governed speed of 45mph. The 120mm smooth bore develops a muzzle velocity of 1575m/sec (1 mile/sec) with a maximum kill range of 4000m (2.5 miles).</szNewspaperTextSuccess>
what does this mean???
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

K-class wrote:

<szNewspaperTextSuccess>The M1A1 Main Battle Tank weighs 67 tons and has 1500HP with max governed speed of 45mph. The 120mm smooth bore develops a muzzle velocity of 1575m/sec (1 mile/sec) with a maximum kill range of 4000m (2.5 miles).</szNewspaperTextSuccess>
what does this mean???
Well a governor is something on a tank that stops it from going past a set speed.

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks Warll that was funny :D

The question was why does the map CTD and was is this error message in opening and saving the file RRT_Scenario_User_BasinAndRange.xml

Also half of the text is in metric and the rest in US measure
67 tons and 45mph. yet you have done the metric conversion for range and velocity
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri May 11, 2007 8:57 pm

I just got back from work, I think I will wait to install if you peeps are having trouble. :lol: I have a 1gig custom assets folder, I just don't want to mess it up took to long to get it to run with out a CTD. :shock: :lol:

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri May 11, 2007 9:01 pm

They have M1 tanks in the map? :shock:

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri May 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Don't worry Dwax the map ran fine for me. Although I must say it is very hard to get the goals you really need to play ahead, something I did not do.

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 11, 2007 9:09 pm

dwax back up you files and see what happens.

Warll game seems to play and my CTD on startup maybe with one of my files.

Sounds like a great map has tanks and heaps of new trains etc.

Live on the wild side. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri May 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Hello,

Can you include all the files in a zip that does not use the installer. I dont think the installer has installed all the bits in the right places but cant tell as I don't have all the files and info on where all the bits go.

Please include changes to global xml files.

Installers are great but you have to trust that the installer works 100% as in SMR we don't all have the same set-up thanks to SMR.

I dont see the new trains etc in the folders but I dont jnow where you where installing these to.

example where is AC4400_bnsfh1.kfm is this in a fpk and if so where is that as search does not find this file.

:D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Fri May 11, 2007 10:21 pm

It is so hard to release a map without running into these problems. I guess this is like a beta test phase that every map goes through as it is hard getting it right the first time. :(

Stormfather:
I am not in front of my gaming computer at the moment, so I can't investigate the problem loading passenger cars with the GP7 Zebra. All freight trains should be able to load passengers as well.

K-Class:
I also see the XML problem in the Scenario xml file, so I will fix this.
Somehow, an invisible invalid XML character was inserted into the string when I did a copy/paste from a windows explorer window. Must have some illegal formating or whitespace character. If you retype the line, the problem is solved.

All the assets (kfm, nif, dds, tga) files are packed in the SDSTrains0.FPK, SDSTrainCars0.FPK, SDSIndustries0.FPK, and SDSInterface0.FPK files.

If you use the installer to put things in a new directory, you can see how it is supposed to look in your CustomAssets directory. For example, tell the installer to install to C:\TEST. Then you will see the FPKs and all the directories as I would have in my CustomAssets directory including fresh Global XML files. This wouldn't be any different than me giving you a zip file.

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Fri May 11, 2007 10:42 pm

K-class wrote:Also half of the text is in metric and the rest in US measure 67 tons and 45mph. yet you have done the metric conversion for range and velocity
The weight, horse power and max speed is just fluff. Tank main gun bores are always measured in millimeters. M1A1 main gun is also German design. US military measures things in the metric system, but we included conversions for us English thinking folk. The real important numbers are 1 mile/sec for a sabot round with 2.5 mile range! Is that a long way away for a kill or what! I spent 3 years as a 19K.

I know that having 2 measuring systems is stupid, but that is the world we live in.

Big Papa
Attachments
BN_M1A1.jpg
BN_M1A1.jpg (195.65 KiB) Viewed 20417 times