The American Transcontinental Railroad- Version 1.2a Final

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:32 pm

When you installed the latest version, did you insert the two text documents into the master XML files? Look at the tail end of my first post for details on how to do it. You need those little blurbs in the master files for it to work.

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:39 pm

Hello played nearly to the end.

The fixes does fix the issues with the machinery pick-up.

The gloabal Traincars.xml as the wrong goods name and should be Machine Car

Code: Select all

<szName>Machine Car</szName>  This the correct name
<szGood>Machinery</szGood>
<szModel>Machine_Car.kfm</szModel>
plus the rest of the code 
Check your global RRT_Goods.xml for

Code: Select all

<szName>Iron</szName>
I for some reason had this entry twice.

I don't know if this was me trying to fix this map or not.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Feedback on the map

Really awesome layout, scenario and well thought out on getting goods around the place.

Looks to me to resemble the USA on layout and as you have included Mexico and Canada makes this one vast game.

Only small issue I have is with SMR not your map is later on in the game to lay track can take up to a minute to complete as the game slows to a crawl.

My CPU starts running up to 80% but the pagefile use is only about 50%

As discussed else where I think that SMR is doing some massive calculations when laying track to see what you have, what's running and what's connected etc and as you get to say 45% of the game there is a lot going on it takes SMR longer to compute the track layout.

This I believe is the code for SMR not being optimised and a patch is needed. Play halflife 2 with the Valve game engine or Quake 4 and you can see what a well coded game should run like.

Only suggest lay track early, think about where you have to lay track, try laying track in pause mode etc.

Or the last option is to cut what is happening in the map and lowering the scenario objectives. This would be a shame or what you could do is a two parter (split the scenario in half, same map thoe) - have to finish the first set of scenario's in the map to do the second set of scenario on the second map - maybe a plausible solution?

Overall the map I give 9 out 10 (simply as you could even keep adding more goods etc and trains) but SMR lets this map down as you really cant get the best possible playing conditions due to the limitations of SMR which lowers the player experience to a 8 out 10. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 pm

I gave you some feedback on this game before I think, but may have missed these before. In the sentence for the Victory screen you state that 20 carloads fo passengers have to be transd from NEW York and San Fransisco. The Numbers require 40 for each. The second is, and I know Canada has the Canadian Mounties, but when you get the track layed it says "It's aboot time!" (and my spelling of thoses 3 words does match yours).

My play this time stuck 1 Gold Mine in Arkansas and 1 Iron Mine in Colorado, no more.....long hauls....

Great map :!:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Help

Post by 2391212 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:10 pm

I've tried everything, but can't seem to get the Iron cars to work. Every time I do, I get a CTD.

Will there be a further upddate to the mode?

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Ok try this

You have downloaded the latest installer? America 1.2.rar

On page 1
then copy these files over to make sure you have the correct xml

****Backup your globals and save them somewhere safe*****

Here is my RRT_Goods.xml and my RRT_TrainCars.xml global files

My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\
Attachments
XML.rar
(5.75 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:05 pm

stormfather - speaking of Iron Mines, (they worked on mine) you are aware that D53642s MID EAST map has Iron Mines also?

I was just checking out something on MID EAST and found a problem....I'll have to check it out and see if there is a colision here....

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:17 pm

My Iron mine isn't in the globals, the only changes to the globals I have made are Iron & Machinery into goods and Iron Car and Machinery Car into traincars.

The middle east map uses Iron Ore as the good, and I'm not sure what the car is called. If it is 'Iron Car' there could be a conflict.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:21 pm

snoopy55 wrote:I gave you some feedback on this game before I think, but may have missed these before. In the sentence for the Victory screen you state that 20 carloads fo passengers have to be transd from NEW York and San Fransisco. The Numbers require 40 for each. The second is, and I know Canada has the Canadian Mounties, but when you get the track layed it says "It's aboot time!" (and my spelling of thoses 3 words does match yours).

My play this time stuck 1 Gold Mine in Arkansas and 1 Iron Mine in Colorado, no more.....long hauls....

Great map :!:
I see that '20 passengers out of NY and SF' typo in the XML now that you've pointed it out (I think I did fix it when you first pointed it out, but later messed up the XMLs somewhere else and went back to some previously backed up XMLs that still had the typo.)

As far as aboot, I'm making fun of the canadian accent :D

And you can call it the Machine Car or the Machinery Car, as long as your naming is consistent for both the scenario's Traincars.xml and the global traincars.xml I've called it Machinery Car in the version I have posted, but as long as the globals match the scenario files, it'll work.

If you're having a problem with the Iron car, I suspect it might be a conflict with the Middle East map. I'm going to wipe my SMRR and do a clean install and see how it works and whether it has a conflict with the Middle East. If so, I'll rename my Iron cars to Iron Ore cars or something.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:30 pm

snoopy55 wrote:stormfather - speaking of Iron Mines, (they worked on mine) you are aware that D53642s MID EAST map has Iron Mines also?

I was just checking out something on MID EAST and found a problem....I'll have to check it out and see if there is a colision here....
I know that the Middle East has iron and iron mines and so-forth, but I've never actually gotten that map to work right and haven't checked out compatibility with the Middle East. I suspect that the Iron Cars are having a compatibility problem.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:57 pm

I know it worked for me, but I may not have hit everything. I just found 1 industry going to 2 different cities, but using the same X Y points.......not good.

I'm going to open that thing up and see if I can get it going. But you have come up with something that will be a problem. name duplication. Leave yours the way it is and I'll use your Iron car in the Mid East map.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:00 pm

K Class
What you call the latest installer on page 1, isn't an installer.
It's just the files.

The installer is on page 4, done Mar 4.

In my case, (I have middle east installed) I get iron cars no problem.
Can switch that for steel.
It's when I try to get machinery that I CTD.
I'm not comfortable screwing with the XML's.
If a fixed installer comes out, I'll try that. Otherwise I'll just stay away from machinery.
It's a fantastic map; the best so far; but too much screwing around.

Thanks everybody for your work.

Pete

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:59 pm

K Class
Tried your 2 XML'S and it made no difference.
Am I missing the machinery car? Where does that come from?

Pete

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:57 pm

Have you downloaded America 1.2.rar uncompress and run the installer.

Pete
What you call the latest installer on page 1, isn't an installer.
It's just the files.
The America 1.2.rar is the installer - its just been stuck in a rar file to make it smaller for downloading.

The page 4 is a earlier version.

You can use my global RRT_Goods.xml and RRT_TrainCars.xml as its for all the maps instead of editing your own xml.

Apart from that I have made noother changes and the map runs fine and no CTD's. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

atani

Post by atani » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:09 pm

K-class wrote: You can use my global RRT_Goods.xml and RRT_TrainCars.xml as its for all the maps instead of editing your own xml.
Instead of passing around a bunch of XML files, tell me what is broken in the installer and I can send you a new one!

Mike